Playoff Frito Pie

Sissylue

11-man fan
Well Fajita got stuck at the ranch this weekend (really stuck - he had 5 hunters he had to keep a serious eye on - I think maybe they were yankees or something) and didn't make it on over to Robert Lee's Concession stand for the Loraine-Paint Rock play off game.

So I take the onerous duty of consuming frito pies upon myself. It's a dirty job but someone has to do it.

I picked my FCP up right-a-way, first quarter. Good thing I did because by half time the jalepenos were gone - and the C-Stand was mobbed with people standing 10 deep! Now this was standard concession stand football fare FCP. Canned chili, fritos and petroleum based cheese product.* The jalepenos were on a table with the tomatoes, onions and condiments for the hamburgers, you served yourself and so I did. The pie was nice and hot and welcome in the nippy air. Tasty as only a hot frito pie can be on a cold night.

But gotta be honest here. It didn't even touch Loraine's frito pie and Westbrook's fritos were fresher and more of them. Can't comment on Sterling City's frito pie because I went with the burger that game (the smell from the grill overcame all FCP scruples).
Could be too I'm a bit picky on chili quality right now as last week I made up my first batch of homemade venison chili from the buck my kid took up at the ranch Halloween weekend. Eating the homemade chili has turned me into a food snob, I'll be reading Gourmet magazine next and serving up Pelligrino with the moon pie !

* A special thank you to SmokeyJoe for what has to be the perfect description of this particular food product!

Miss Sissy, I was there Saturday and I found the frito pie to be pretty decent. Not as good as home made chili, but pretty good. BTW, congrats to the boys from Loraine. I really thought they looked beat in the 2nd quarter when they got down. The "body language" didn't look good. BUT, those boys kept fighting & come away with a great win.

The only other thing I have to say is:

GO DRAGONS!!!!!

While I missed a classic the hunters I had were a hand full. We did feed them. King James smoked a whole yearling that he took last week for that purpose. OMG - absolutely the best I have ever had!!. He did a brisket but the deer was even better, I swear, smoked whole, low heat, for about 6 hours, moist and so tender it was unreal. The back strap was like prime rib, I have never had a meal like that one. By the way, 1 yearling feeds 12 with enough for breakfast!

On the down side, I found a spent casing in a stand where no deer was taken, lots seen but no one said they had shot. I walked the brush this morning and found a six point that was a fresh kill. The coyotes’ had a feast last night and now I need to red line some hunters, won't book then next year. It's one thing if you shoot and can't find it, but you got to at least look.

fajitapete":1uhl8c2t said:
On the down side, I found a spent casing in a stand where no deer was taken, lots seen but no one said they had shot. I walked the brush this morning and found a six point that was a fresh kill. The coyotes’ had a feast last night and now I need to red line some hunters, won't book then next year. It's one thing if you shoot and can't find it, but you got to at least look.

Some guys just PO me. Sooner or later, everyone shanks a shot or you get ahold of the one that ain't figured out he's dead yet that's impossible to find. But dang it, at least get out of the stand & look.

That puts you in a tough spot too. It's kind of hard to make money selling hunts when you have to tell hunters not to ever come back.

oldfat&bald":2vfgxlf9 said:
fajitapete":2vfgxlf9 said:

Some guys just PO me. Sooner or later, everyone shanks a shot or you get ahold of the one that ain't figured out he's dead yet that's impossible to find. But dang it, at least get out of the stand & look.

That puts you in a tough spot too. It's kind of hard to make money selling hunts when you have to tell hunters not to ever come back.

A wise old rancher (well old any way) once advised me after I had complained about some particular deer hunters attitudes,
"Deer Hunters are a dime a dozen. If you don't like the ones you have, there are plenty more waiting in line."

Since that's true then I dread the day my kid doesn't get a clean kill. She's proud that she can take down a deer with a minimum of fuss; but her last hunt she discovered what happens when you only wound the animal and have to go after it to finish it off (fortunately it wasn't her shot or she would probably have renounced hunting forever and I would watch my grocery bill skyrocket since I have seriously carnivore kids). I gave her a little pep talk about that's why you don't shoot unless you are confident about your target and your aim blah blah, but yeah you're right - sooner or later she's going to hit something that doesn't die quickly enough for her and then I'll have to get therapy for her and she'll probably become a vegetarian.

Thanks to the Post Bold Gold Baseball team for manning the c-stand at the Loraine-Dawson game. They were overwhelmed by the crowd. One comment I heard was these six man fans sure know how to eat. I do believe they were cleaned out by the end of the game.

Now, about the Frito pie, I arrived at the c-stand as they were opening for business, about 30 minuets before game time. Asked for a Frito pie and was told they didn't have any. As I explained the fact that serving Frito Pie is a law in six man, they quickly saw the error of their way, dug through the chip selection pulling out every small bag of Fritos and commenced to build Frito Pies. They had to improvise, adapt, and overcome this shameful oversight.

Yes, the cheese was nacho, and the chili was the stuff they wanted for hotdogs, they used the jalapeños that were slated for nachos, but didn’t have any onions. Still made up a tasty pie that comes in at number 3 for the season.

Evidently the kind of football played in their division is big on hot dogs. Over all, Post was a great place to play. The antelopes were fine hosts and the Dawson fans were as nice as any I’ve met this year.

It was a little strange seeing a repainted football field with an extra set of goal posts. But it must have helped, as the kickers because they were knocking them through both sets.

Perfect weather for a game and I really liked the outcome. See you guys next week at the Sterling City – Loraine rematch.

Well I enjoyed a "playoff Frito Pie" At Indian Stadium in Comanche tonight as we took in the Throckmorton - Walnut Springs game.
The pie was reasonably priced and basic. PBCP, canned Wolf Brand, original fritos in a boat. Classic. Was not offered Jalapenos or onions but age prohibits my indulging in these accoutrements after a certain time in the evening anyway.
Overall it was welcome fare after a week's worth of Holiday eating. Turkey and Dressing will only take you so far, after all.
Enjoyed the game and look forward to trying a different venue next week. Don't know which game we will attend but at this stage of the season it really doesn't matter as long as you don't have a dog in the hunt. Just enjoy the game.

There we were, after leaving the ranch we drove 267 miles to Big Spring Texas to see Lorain and Sterling City Play.

I love 6-man ball but a thousand mile weekend is pushing it.

Frito Pie – the dang nabbit volley ball team from Big Spring was running the concession stand. Since the lines formed 30 minuets BEFORE the game, I guess they underestimated 6-man appetites. Give them their due, they stepped up to the plate and served up hot chocolate, coffee, and Frito pie.

All was ok as they had boats of Fritos ready to go. I got mine 20 minuets before kickoff and savored it in the enclosure of the press box. Not that I had any right to be there, it was out of the wind. Slightly stale Fritos, but others told me their pies were ok. I guess I just got old chips. Nacho processed creamy, slimly, yellow goo that passes for cheese, A good chili (from a can), pickled Jalapeños, no onions.

The pie took the chill off as I had them pile the japs on. Over all, not the best pie, not even second or third. Don’t these people realize that Frito Pie can make or break a c-stand?

On the other hand, if you ever find your self passing through Snyder Texas on 208, stop at the Spanish Inn for some great Mexican food, and the margaritas aren’t that bad either.

fajitapete":3dg42r3f said:
On the other hand, if you ever find your self passing through Snyder Texas on 208, stop at the Spanish Inn for some great Mexican food, and the margaritas aren’t that bad either.

I wonder if it is run by the same family that runs the Spanish Inn in Big Spring?

We took Mom, Dad, and some cousins to Fuentes in San Angelo while we were there this last weekend. Car ride home was aromatic...... :lol:

banner.specials.jpg

Love Fuentes. try to eat there every time we're in San Angelo.

I was consulting the sommelier at El Jalapeno about what wine would be best with Frito Pie. He made the point that it would depend on the type of cheese used.

smokeyjoe53":1mjvdsdy said:
I was consulting the sommelier at El Jalapeno about what wine would be best with Frito Pie. He made the point that it would depend on the type of cheese used.

I disagree, if cheese was in fact the chief constituent of the dish that statement might be true.

Bu,t unless you are some kind of commie hippy vegetarian eating freak, chili is made from good red meat. And red meats, along with the spices used in chili, dictate a strong, robust red, something that can compete with the flavors of the chili pie. Personally, I would be partial to a Malbec, or in the case of a chili made with lots of tomato, a Barbera.

In reality, after the first couple of bottles, it doesn’t matter anymore.

We have to remember that PBCP can dominate the dish if not administered judiciously. I was thinking a merlot might be a good all around choice. Either that or Strawberry Hill.

smokeyjoe53":2d8noba9 said:
We have to remember that PBCP can dominate the dish if not administered judiciously. I was thinking a merlot might be a good all around choice. Either that or Strawberry Hill.

I forgot that some concession stands have a proclivity to use PBCP. While it works with nachos and chili cheese dogs, I feel it is an abomination when applied to a Frito Pie. Not sure, but once opened, I think you have only a year to use the PBCP before it starts to set up.

I made a batch of White Merlot this year, turned out to be a crowd pleaser. In fact, I’ve found that if you give away almost anything it’s a crowd pleaser.

fajitapete":3mck2bxj said:
I made a batch of White Merlot this year, turned out to be a crowd pleaser. In fact, I’ve found that if you give away almost anything it’s a crowd pleaser.

I was taught at a young age that anytime anyone else was buying the beer, it tasted real good.

fajitapete":12y883jj said:
. Not sure, but once opened, I think you have only a year to use the PBCP before it starts to set up.

I think it can be used to patch driveways after that date has passed. In fact, I think IDOT uses it for the yellow stripes.....

Old Bearkat":3ow324l8 said:
fajitapete":3ow324l8 said:
. Not sure, but once opened, I think you have only a year to use the PBCP before it starts to set up.

I think it can be used to patch driveways after that date has passed. In fact, I think IDOT uses it for the yellow stripes.....
TEXDOT used to use it before the EPA made them stop. Do you realize what the half-life is of that stuff?

Back