I been paying for it since 97.. :mrgreen:

If there happens to be a game four
Guess what?
The Cowboys play at 3 on the day
of game four,,What a traffic nightmare we
could be looking at..
Maybe we can avoid a game four,with a
three game sweep------NOT..

Thank You Ron for not over managing the pitching staff tonight!!!! That Smoak trade is starting to look a little better now!!!

2 things...Ron don't go out and party to hard tonight...you know what I mean...and can we organize a search party to find Micheal Young before the ALCS!!!

I am putting in my call...Game 1 first at bat for Nelson Cruz BAM!

Leman

Any one got tickets they would be willing to sell or trade...I would offer a very nice 6-man state game film collection for a ticket to Game 1!!!

Leman

oneday":3by4wm8v said:
Thank You Ron for not over managing the pitching staff tonight!!!! That Smoak trade is starting to look a little better now!!!

2 things...Ron don't go out and party to hard tonight...you know what I mean...and can we organize a search party to find Micheal Young before the ALCS!!!

I am putting in my call...Game 1 first at bat for Nelson Cruz BAM!

Leman
I think Michael Young made it to the game.

oldfat&bald":1ycvite6 said:
markf":1ycvite6 said:
ScreenShot025.jpg

And thats all i got to say about that

That picture is a sad comment on our society is soooo many ways, :oops: .....................but damn it's funny as Hades. :lol:

Someone photoshopped the Rangers insignia on the kid. I saw this photo the first time about 6 years ago, and the kid's shirt had some European soccer club insignia on it.

1973. Arlington Stadium with maybe 3-4-5000 fans. About a dozen rows up over 3rd base. Guy behind us yells "can a (of) corn". Huh? 1992. Free tickets from Wynn Dixie. Nolan Ryan's 7th no hitter. 1996. 1st playoff game ever. Outfield over 3rd base. Rus-T, Rus-T, Rus-T. Never a big BB fan but lot's of memories, frustration, annual summer slide(s). Summer nights at Possum Kingdom in the 70's - 80's. No Satellite dish, no cable, no reception. Ranger Games on WBAP.
Now 1 game away from Hell Just Froze Over. Win one more for my Dad, or in his memory.

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks 51 eleven. The memories came flooding in. I remember my Dad listening to Ranger games for years and years hoping, they would be great someday. Well Dad looks like they finally made it. I hope your up there watching!

51eleven":13hlrbzt said:
1973. Arlington Stadium with maybe 3-4-5000 fans. About a dozen rows up over 3rd base. Guy behind us yells "can a (of) corn". Huh? 1992. Free tickets from Wynn Dixie. Nolan Ryan's 7th no hitter. 1996. 1st playoff game ever. Outfield over 3rd base. Rus-T, Rus-T, Rus-T. Never a big BB fan but lot's of memories, frustration, annual summer slide(s). Summer nights at Possum Kingdom in the 70's - 80's. No Satellite dish, no cable, no reception. Ranger Games on WBAP.
Now 1 game away from Hell Just Froze Over. Win one more for my Dad, or in his memory.

Ranger games on WBAP..with the late great Dick Risenhoover
"Goodbye Baseball"
Pearl Light 10 cent beer night..oh my!
Turnpike Stadium...
Many a nights at Possum Kingdom as well listening
and watching my fishing line,while seeing shooting stars fall
from the sky..and shooing the racoons off
Announcer Bill Mercer...
18 year old David Clyde..
Was at the old stadium when the small crowd
watched on the outfield screen,,I Richard Millhouse
Nixon resign as the President of the United States..
Double headers at the old stadium,,,Cow milking contest between games
Turnpike Stadium ,DFW Spurs,,,Don Larsen trying to make a comeback
to the big leagues [I got his autograph].
Hot pants night!!! women in Hot Pants contest...
7th inning song...John Denver,Thank God i'm a country boy
Suns coming up i got cakes on the grittle...
For My Dad tooo

First Ranger game - June 22, 1992 at the old stadium...got the autograph of no-name Texas pitcher Todd Burns, watched as Toronto pounded the Rangers 16-7...Raffy hit a HR for the Rangers, and Dave Winfield Hit one for the Blue Jays (there were a few others but those 2 I remember)...Blue Jays 1st baseman was wearing a batting helmet in the field (John Olerud remember him!)...the stadium give away was a T-Shirt that was something like "The Texas Amigos" or "The 5 Amigos" and had pictures of Palmeiro, Sierra, Gonzales, Franco, and a rookie named Ivan Rodriguez. Dickie Thon was the starting short stop for the Rangers and on the cover of the program.

I've been a baseball fan and Rangers fan my whole life. I have listened to countless games over the AM radio waves told to me by Eric Nadel. Watched as many as I could on TV with my grandfather with him talking about how they don't play baseball like they use to..."they are just sliding and diving around playing for that camera", "if that happend back when I played, that guy would be bleeding from the hip down from our metal cleats".

I was there to see Nolan Ryan's jersey retired, and loved the all out play of Rusty Greer...who would have been a Hall of Famer if injury didn't shorten is career I say!

1994 the opening year for the New Ballpark! I was in awe of it! The Rangers had an off day before the game that me and my family had tickets to and we took a tour of the new stadium that day. I got to stand on the field and sit in the Rangers dugout! Then the next night I watched the Rangers beat the White Sox, Rusty Greer hit a homer as did Lance Johnson of the White Sox. During the game a small plane flew over pulling a banner that said something like "3rd Inning Walk Out". Fans got up and left the game in protest of the upcoming players union strike...I didn't like it that there was going to be a strike but there was no way I was walking out!

One year my Little League team, a Tri-County team that pooled kids in from Bronte, Robert Lee, and Sterling City...I was the only kid from Blackwell, raised money so we could go to a Rangers game and Six-Flags. We sat in the OF seats at The Ballpark and watched Cal Ripken's Orioles play our Rangers, a lady got hit hard by a foul ball right off of the 3rd baseline and Ripken in between innings went over to check on her and sign a baseball for her.

I have had some GREAT Memories involving the Rangers! I hope they win this series more than anything right now! I find it very hard to say these words out loud "Texas Rangers are in the World Series" But I hope and pray I get to!

Was hoping I didn't jinx em by posting the other day though I don't put much stock in chicken bones & such. Remember listening to the David Clyde debut. Ulimately much ado over not much but we needed something to get excited about back then. Saturday or Sunday afternoon games in the cheap seats. Great way to get out of the house & relax even when there wasn't much hope for the post season. The beer warmed up in a hurry though in those old wax lined paper cups. Think they wanted it that way trying to sell more. 89 or 90 with friends from work, yelled out "Here we go Julio (Franco) Here we go" a couple of times back to back. A couple of the friends chimed in, then others. Had something going for for 2-3 at bat's.
Watching Robin Ventura charge Nolan Ryan on the mound (on TV) over & over again. Can you say headlock? Kept the newspaper picture for years, probably still buried somewhere.
For Fergie Jenkins, Sundberg, Toby Harrah, Kenny Rogers, on & on. May the bat's speak loud tonight. Bomb A-Rat & the Damn yankees back to the bronx!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I have no words for this!!!! Striking out A-Rod looking for the final out...I couldn't ask for a better ending!!! The Rangers are in the World Series!!!!

I just got home from this amazing feat!
I am numb...The Rangers kicked the Yankees arse
We beat em at everything,,The Best team won!
Been a season ticket holder since 97,,had so
many people laugh and make fun of all those bad years..
Now the tide has turned,,,I am so proud to be a longtime
Texas Ranger!!
.Josh got the MVP for the ALCS,,,Next AL MVP...
Thank You Nolan,,i'm sooo tired....We Did It!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent ... nalout.mp3

I can't say it out load without chocking up...The Rangers are going to the World Series!!!! I went to my friends house in Denton and we watched the game... constantly knocking on wood! We had 4 bottles of champagne iced down and a 12 pack of adult beverages...once the final out was made we ran out in the street and drenched ourselves!!!

Leman

Fort Worth Star-Telegram (TX)
2010-10-24
Page: B

Grandfather would have loved Rangers' success
Lee Williams, [email protected]

My grandfather Abe Watson was a farmer. He lived with my grandmother -- we called her "Kike" -- in a modest three-bedroom house on a red dirt road outside of Knox City, a farming community about 90 miles north of Abilene.

A large vegetable garden took up a big chunk of land next to the house. There was a storm cellar out back, plus two barns, grain bins, a water well -- and a big, blue sky that gave way to endless stars at night.

As a kid I spent parts of my summers on that farm, where a wonderfully slow routine was practiced daily.

Weekday mornings, I'd get in Abe's Volkswagen bug and ride with him to downtown Knox City, where we'd go to the American Legion Hall.

While the men -- all of them World War I veterans -- drank coffee out of plain white cups and played dominoes, I taught myself to play pool, usually nursing a cold bottle of Orange Crush.

They'd talk mostly politics, weather and sports.

Sitting next to the domino tables were big brass spittoons -- their sides splattered with tobacco juice. I always wondered who emptied those.

We'd head back to the farm for lunch, usually something like black-eyed peas, okra, fresh-cut onions and tomatoes, pork chops and homemade yeast rolls.

After lunch Abe -- that's what we called him -- would settle into his vinyl-covered recliner and watch Days of Our Lives before taking a nap.

In the evening, after supper, Abe would take a walk down the red dirt road, looking at the crops, enjoying the quiet.

When he got back, it was time for baseball.

Abe was a huge baseball fan.

He had been a pitcher in the Army, and even in his twilight years, he still played catch with me and my brother in the front yard. He'd scold me when I tried to throw curveballs, saying I was going to ruin my arm -- but then turn around and show me the right grip for when the time was right.

Living in Knox City, he really didn't have a major league team to follow; the Astros were just too far away.

Then the Washington Senators moved to Arlington and became the Texas Rangers.

And Abe finally had his team.

Every evening during the summer, after returning from his walk, Abe would grab his bulky black radio and place it on the kitchen table. We'd sit down -- I'd fiddle with the dials to get better reception -- and listen to Texas Rangers baseball.

Every night .

That first year, 1972, the announcers were Don Drysdale and Bill Mercer, followed in '73 by Mercer and Dick Risenhoover.

Abe was a faithful fan, listening from start to finish. Sure, he'd get frustrated and snap off the radio, but he'd always come back. If the game was still going at 10, he'd run to catch the local news on the television in the living room, then hurry back to the kitchen for the game's final innings.

When we were lucky, we'd get to munch on Kike's fried peach pies.

On the mornings after the games, Abe, who didn't see too well, would have someone read him the box score from the Abilene Reporter-News . Not all box scores, just the Rangers'.

Fantasy baseball did not exist.

Abe was a big believer in Toby Harrah and Jim Bibby in the early years.

He thought it was a mistake for the Rangers to start high school pitching phenom David Clyde in 1973 -- though I'm pretty sure he got excited when Clyde struck out three Minnesota Twins in the first inning of his first start.

He did not like manager Billy Martin.

Abe bought one of those monster satellite dishes in the late '70s or early '80s and was able to watch some Ranger games -- hoping someday he'd get to see them in the playoffs -- but that never happened.

Abe died in December 1985 at age 91.

Abe would have liked this team.

Cliff Lee's work ethic would have impressed him. Josh Hamilton's recovery would have inspired him.

Michael Young would have been his favorite player.

He would have disliked Alex Rodriguez.

And he would have been mildly amused by the claw and antlers.

So I'm thinking that for Abe and the many other listeners gone by -- who longed for that day when the Rangers would play in the World Series -- I'm going to dust off an old radio, place it on the kitchen table and tune in for Game 1.

Lee Williams is a metro editor for the Star-Telegram who grew up on Texas Rangers baseball. 817-390-7840.

Read more: http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Arc ... z13OkDEE4f

Back