Future Changes (Suggestions Welcome) 2022-23 Edition

This has been brought to my attention a few times already today and, without running a lot of tests, I can't explain why they're where they are. The only thing that makes sense to me is it's because they beat Westbrook, and are the only team to do so. Until I can get in and start dissecting the code, though, that's just my best guess. I definitely agree that The Toy is wrong there, but that's been the case with some examples since I joined the site 15 years ago. It's not perfect...it never will be...there will always be things that don't make sense...I do guarantee that it'll be looked at, toyed with, and tweaked where necessary every year to keep it as accurate as possible. That's the best I can do.

I definitely wouldn't want to change anything at this point in the season, though.
Agreed. I'm just busting your chops on that one. But like was posted earlier would be cool to have only the top 32 teams in week 11 and throught the playoffs watch where everyone lands.

From the Fence:

I got a good one.
How about after week 11 no new accounts can be made. That way those of us who have been here all season can enjoy the playoffs in peace with out people making account after account to belittle players and coaches and run their mouths when their brothers cousins uncles team wins a game?

Just a thought lol 😆

From the Fence:

I got a good one.
How about after week 11 no new accounts can be made. That way those of us who have been here all season can enjoy the playoffs in peace with out people making account after account to belittle players and coaches and run their mouths when their brothers cousins uncles team wins a game?

Just a thought lol 😆
Or consistency when blocking people. I was blocked on one message board for defending a coach when the fans was bashing him. I questioned it when certain people was changing some of my words. I was told if same people keep starting stuff they would be blocked. People had several accounts running and still do. You have that crap going on now and I guess those rules don’t apply anymore.

You also had a couple weeks ago a school fan bash running their coach through the mud after a loss. I’m sorry those accounts should be permanently band. It’s not good for the site.

Last edited:
Or consistency when blocking people. I was blocked on one message board for defending a coach when the fans was bashing him. I questioned it when certain people was changing some of my words. I was told if same people keep starting stuff they would be blocked. People had several accounts running and still do. You have that crap going on now and I guess those rules don’t apply anymore.

You also had a couple weeks ago a school fan bash running their coach through the mud after a loss. I’m sorry those accounts should be permanently band. It’s not good for the site.

I do my best to be as consistent as possible but, as I've said many times before, I can't read every post on this site. Even if I could, I wouldn't moderate every post. With a few exceptions, if there are no reports, I assume everyone is fine with it and leave it alone, even if I feel like it's questionable. I'd encourage you to report any post(s) you feel are unacceptable and, if they're in violation of any of the rules, they'll be edited and/or deleted.

From the Fence:

I got a good one.

Just a thought lol 😆
In peace? I'm not computer savvy enough to know who's who other than by screen names, but very few posts stay on subject and the common highjackers are well known.

Just the option to delete something that is duplicated. On scores, I have posted scores only to realize that someone else had already posted it.
I started a thread and realize that someone else has already started it. If no has replied to it I would like the option to delete it but if someone has replied then you can't.

So I went ahead and made a change here, although some things may change again before it's all over with, especially for coaches.

All members can now edit and/or delete their posts within 10 minutes of posting it, in all areas of the forums. If a thread has no replies, and you delete the first post, the entire thread will be deleted.

As an exception, at least for now, posts in the following forums can be edited and/or deleted within one month of being posted. I would appreciate folks not deleting threads in the coaching vacancies forum when the vacancies are filled, but rather replying that it's been filled so that other areas of the site, as well as other outlets, can be updated that your vacancy is filled. That said, there's no way for me (yet) to distinguish between editing and deleting time limit.

Games Needed / Open Dates
Coaching Vacancies
Resume Board
Trading Post

I started one of these topics about this time last year, primarily to catch a lot of you before you disappear for the off-season. It did get a few good suggestions, so I thought we'd do another one this year too. It also helps me to keep track of the bigger changes I'm wanting to make to the site, and so you all will know some things to look forward to for next year.

Once again, a list of things I'm hoping to change/add for next year, in no particular order:

• Add a district standings page. This is, by far, one of the most suggested features. I, honestly, can't even come up with a good reason for why this doesn't exist other than I'm old and keep forgetting. In any case, it's on the list and it'll be added for next year.
  • Bring back the player of the week. I actually get quite a few coaches who text/email me their top player stats each week so next year I'd like to do something with all that. I'll probably try to reach out to a few folks who I think would be good at helping me choose from the entries but, even if it's just me, I think this is something we should do again.
  • Add a broadcasts page. I really wanted to get this done for this season but I just never got around to it. Next year, though, we'll have a page specifically for broadcasts and, hopefully, a simple way for folks to submit their broadcast links.
  • I'm still wanting to do something different for live score updates but, just like last year, I'm just still not sure what that is. I'll try to come up with something, if there's time. If not, text messages it is again!
  • Add weekly fan polls, similar to what @Pdevitt13 did this season.
  • Add private schools to the playoff pick 'em. May need a filter here so that folks can participate in either or both and see the results from either or both.
  • Separate rankings for playoff teams only.
  • Update the live scoreboard/scores pages to make them more "app-like", especially on mobile devices. The ability to update games as they go along needs to be better.
  • Rebuild the archives to allow for more information about the games to be displayed (dates, time, district, etc).

If there is anything else you'd like to see done differently for next year, please let me know. I won't guarantee it'll make the list, but I do guarantee I'll at least consider it.
Mike you have done a fantastic job so I am very happy with the way things are.
Lee Weathersbee
Del Rio, Tx

I do my best to be as consistent as possible but, as I've said many times before, I can't read every post on this site. Even if I could, I wouldn't moderate every post. With a few exceptions, if there are no reports, I assume everyone is fine with it and leave it alone, even if I feel like it's questionable. I'd encourage you to report any post(s) you feel are unacceptable and, if they're in violation of any of the rules, they'll be edited and/or deleted.
I've always been a fan of signing your name to a post. I think that prevents a lot. Regardless, keep up the good work Mike.

Jon Walk
LSCSN

I would just wish for live scores and a forum/comment section.
I've been giving a lot of thought to this since the season ended and I think there will be significant changes to the way we'll do the live scoreboard this year. I think I'm probably going to completely remove the text message updates all together and see how that goes for a year. I think I'd like to make it more app-like, without actually having an app (at least for now because of the significant cost). I have several ideas I'm knocking around and, when I start coding (likely not until after the 1st), we'll just see what I think works best.

That said, I have a question about the forum/comment section you're talking about. Are you asking for a forum/comment section on a per-game basis? I mean, we already have forums right here and even have forums for every team, so I'm not sure what more you're asking for in this regard. Please let me know.

Not sure if we can still do this and if so disregard. But we used to be able to see "The Why Test" that showed why The Toy did what it did in terms of best win over #22 worst Loss to #19. Ranked #21.

Not sure if we can still do this and if so disregard. But we used to be able to see "The Why Test" that showed why The Toy did what it did in terms of best win over #22 worst Loss to #19. Ranked #21.

I have coded this in but I wasn't sure how often it was looked at so I never made any publicly visible links to it. I'll do that this year and try to let everyone know where that link can be found for each team.

Back