Best Richland Springs Team of All-Time?

Great list. I would agree that the 2004 and 2007 teams are the top 2.

My senior year Lometa played RS in San Saba the first round of the 2007 playoffs. TE had a cut on his hand and didn't dress out. It was 21-14 or something at halftime, they went and got TE's pads and jersey at halftime. It was game over after that. He was that good of a player to totally take over the game. I was proud we didn't get 45'd. I'm sure we would have if he would have played the whole game. 2004 team definitely had a better defense, bigger, stronger. 2007's offense was unstoppable.

Has there been a top 10 greatest teams thread? I would love to see some other teams thrown in to see how they match. I know this years Coyotes were a solid bunch!!

Wonderful article!!

Nice article Leman. Not easy is right. When you get to thinking about these teams, it is really hard to not put the Denim Reeves led teams of 2010 and 2011, and the Chance Bush led team of 2012 right on up there. Those Fowler boys were tough contributors. I believe that I agree on the 2007 team as probably being at the top. One of the missed extra points in the State game kept that team from 45ing every opponent that year. The 2007 Rule Bobcat team, with Mike Reid at the helm, that the Coyotes met and dominated in the state game, was as good a team as there ever has been, before they met the Coyotes. I have the 2016 team neck and neck with 2007. Sometimes it is hard to compare apples and apples!
If all stays the same, I am anxious to see how 2017 unfolds!

I always thought the 2003 squad was a pretty darn good team. I know they didn't win the state championship but they were a heck of a group nonetheless. If memory serves, they were beaten by Strawn in the semi-finals on the last play of the game and Strawn went on to beat Fort Davis in the championship game. Could have easily been their first of nine... without TE.

You are right there WV. Since Leman was going with only the State Championship teams from RS, I didn't mention the other teams that I believed could also be right on up there.

The 2001 team with Jordan Hicks and a great Freshman group that surprised the powerhouse Whitharral team in the State Championship game and only lost by 7 points.

The 2002 team with the "Mr. Automatic" kicker Alvaro Avila who broke his foot on the first kickoff and was on the sideline,scored more touchdowns than the Brian Ford Calvert team, but lost on extra points. Calvert then defeated Sanderson for the State Title.

The 2003 team with Jared Hicks and company, had one stud Nick Taylor out with a broken leg, and another held out of the first half, lost to Strawn on the last play of the game in the semi-final game at Gordon Wood Stadium. Strawn then won the State Championship.

The 2005 team with TE and company lost to a strong Throck team that won State.

The 2008 team with Andrew Fowler at Quarterback,against Strawn, came down to an onside kick recovery. Strawn then went on to win State.

What was it that Dandy Don used to say? If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we would all have a Merry Christmas!

Back