Richland Springs: The Tradition

Klaaxctuu

Six-man fan
I would never start the year with Richland Springs ranked less than #2. It is not that the other teams are not talented and trying, or that the coaches don't know what they are doing: Richland Springs finds a way to win with the right person in the right position, being in extreme shape, with the right play called, they have a fierce pride in their God, home, school, and country, and they never give up My ancestors were from Richland Springs and I have been going to the games when I can (I live up close to Dallas). My dad, 6'6, 245, (no, his name was not Big Bad John) and strong as an ox, wanted to play for RS but his dad wouldn't let him because he needed him to work on the farm. A&M recruited him even though he had never played. Sadly, my Granddaddy was at a RS game once where a football player died, so you can imagine the odds of my dad playing.

On a subject some of you may not be aware of: If you go to sansabaradio.com you can watch videos of all the Richland Springs games this year. (San Saba games are available also.) Usually, the announcers are local, and do they get wound up. You can move the bar at the bottom of the video to skip pregame or whatever. Watch the last ten minutes or so of the Coolidge game and the Cherokee game.

We'll see you at Jerry-world

I would never start the year with Richland Springs ranked less than #2. It is not that the other teams are not talented and trying, or that the coaches don't know what

they are doing: Richland Springs finds a way to win with the right person in the right position, being in extreme shape, with the right play called, they have a fierce

pride in their God, home, school, and country, and they never give up My ancestors were from Richland Springs and I have been going to the games when I can (I live

up close to Dallas). My dad, 6'6, 245, (no, his name was not Big Bad John) and strong as an ox, wanted to play for RS but his dad wouldn't let him because he needed

him to work on the farm. A&M recruited him even though he had never played. Sadly, my Granddaddy was at a RS game once where a football player died, so you can

imagine the odds of my dad playing.

On a subject some of you may not be aware of: If you go to sansabaradio.com you can watch videos of all the Richland Springs games this year. (San Saba games are

available also.) Usually, the announcers are local, and do they get wound up. You can move the bar at the bottom of the video to skip pregame or whatever. Watch the

last ten minutes or so of the Coolidge game and the Cherokee game.

We'll see you at Jerry-world
Well they also probably have one of the weakest schedules on earth, legacy don’t get you rankings…… but terrible schedules do. And about the Jerry’s World comment, If they get the chance to play Ogelsby they will lose by 50.

It's great to be a fan of your hometown football team but the reality doesn't match your loyalty. RS has played the least competitive schedule of any supposedly highly ranked school over the last ten years just to look good in the rankings. If the sixman rankings were determined with the rankings of the competition played against considered, RS would be ranked about #20 each season. RS consistently plays the newbies and basketball schools to run up that victory total.

It's great to be a fan of your hometown football team but the reality doesn't match your loyalty. RS has played the least competitive schedule of any supposedly highly ranked school over the last ten years just to look good in the rankings. If the sixman rankings were determined with the rankings of the competition played against considered, RS would be ranked about #20 each season. RS consistently plays the newbies and basketball schools to run up that victory total.
They’ve won 8 state championships, who cares how weak their regular season schedule was?

All of this talk about weak schedules reminded me that I never got around to mentioning that I've added the "Why test" back to the site. When viewing any team's pages (overview, schedule, map, standings, archive), if you look at the "Team rank/rating" section (on wide screens that will be in the right sidebar and on narrow screens it'll be near the bottom of the page) you'll see a link to "Why?".

Among other things, that page will show you the team's strength of schedule rating up to that point in the season.

To this point in the season, for the top 10 teams in UIL DII, the average strength of schedule rating is 251. Richland Springs sits at 204.46, which is 2nd lowest amongst those top 10 teams in DII.

Also worth mentioning, too, is that playing a weak schedule doesn't help your rankings. Beating a team by 45 that you're supposed to beat by 45 isn't going to move you up much, if at all. Just look at the rankings from this season. There are undefeated teams, and teams with just 1 loss, sitting lower in the rankings than teams with 4 and 5 losses. It's because those undefeated teams are beating teams they're supposed to beat so they don't get much movement.

All of this talk about weak schedules reminded me that I never got around to mentioning that I've added the "Why test" back to the site. When viewing any team's pages (overview, schedule, map, standings, archive), if you look at the "Team rank/rating" section (on wide screens that will be in the right sidebar and on narrow screens it'll be near the bottom of the page) you'll see a link to "Why?".

Among other things, that page will show you the team's strength of schedule rating up to that point in the season.

To this point in the season, for the top 10 teams in UIL DII, the average strength of schedule rating is 251. Richland Springs sits at 204.46, which is 2nd lowest amongst those top 10 teams in DII.

Also worth mentioning, too, is that playing a weak schedule doesn't help your rankings. Beating a team by 45 that you're supposed to beat by 45 isn't going to move you up much, if at all. Just look at the rankings from this season. There are undefeated teams, and teams with just 1 loss, sitting lower in the rankings than teams with 4 and 5 losses. It's because those undefeated teams are beating teams they're supposed to beat so they don't get much movement.
This is a really cool feature, thanks!

i was looking at this yesterday and couldn't help but notice that Richland Springs Schedule Strength is 204.46 while Ogelsby's is a 257.71 Hmmmm! As a matter of Fact the only team in the top 10 with a weaker Schedule is conveniently is the same district and that is Rochelle.
Benjamin- 266.83
Jayton-275
klondike-295
Ogelsby-257.71
Amherst-274
Whitharral-244
Richland Springs-204.46
Rochelle-180, didn't even know it could go that low
Cherokee-229.95
Crowell-280

Everybody talks about RS has always played a weak schedule and aren't that good. But they have won how many Championships? 9 or 10, I can't remember. So how can people constantly complain about their schedule when they still win Championships? They figured something out. And don't start the recruiting thing right now. We are talking about achedules.

Everybody talks about RS has always played a weak schedule and aren't that good. But they have won how many Championships? 9 or 10, I can't remember. So how can people constantly complain about their schedule when they still win Championships? They figured something out. And don't start the recruiting thing right now. We are talking about achedules.
We are taking about this year because this guys post literally says see you at Jerry’s world, calm down everyone we all know they have had some really good teams.

I get it. RS has had some great success the past 20 ish years. However, before that not so much. So this championships run in our blood stuff is funny to me. Like I said earlier on. Must of had a blood transfusion.

Coolidge #14 in D1 , and Cherokee #9 in D2 , Rochelle #8 in D2 in back to back weeks doesn’t exactly make for an easy schedule
Rankings mean nothing when those highly ranked teams haven't been tested, only team Coolidge has played that is truly a top team destroyed them and that is Jonesboro, RS beat them on the last drive without Coolidge best player. Not trying to talk crap by no means just stating facts.

This strength of scheduling thing has been beat to death. I’m all for a tough schedule. I believe it builds character and unity in a team that faces the best teams weekly. However, scheduling isn’t an easy issue. Getting top ranked teams to play each other is difficult. Sure we see it happening and we like it but to get that game scheduled is difficult. Dates and distances traveled have to be factored in and so and so on. It’s just not as easy as saying we wanna play WB or Benjamin or whoever. I think you should try to schedule those games but sometimes it’s just about filling in a spot with whoever gives you a yes. Long time ago only top ten teams were ranked plus districts were larger. So you played who you could get to play maybe three games at best then district started. Definitely no control on how good teams are in your district year to year. So play who’s in front of ya and the rest will work itself out.

No dog in this argument, but it is obvious that a team with the winning tradition that RS has keeps teams from scheduling them during the preseason games. Many coaches are only concerned with their won/loss record than improving their teams ability to perform against the better teams. People dodge the proverbial winners. Just one person's opinion.

Rankings mean nothing when those highly ranked teams haven't been tested, only team Coolidge has played that is truly a top team destroyed them and that is Jonesboro, RS beat them on the last drive without Coolidge best player. Not trying to talk crap by no means just stating facts.
Richlands Head Coach was out with Covid . Starting spreadback got sent to the hospital in the 2nd quarter , and starting running back was ejected 2 plays later . Winners win

Back