Benjamin: Will Anyone Challenge?

I really don’t because the way I was brought up was that you wanted to challenge the best because you gain knowledge by playing the best. If you don’t test yourself you don’t get better, unless you have no intention of trying to better yourself but just are trying to create hype for yourself or others for personal gain than you wouldn’t seek out the best you can so that you could grow you would seek teams you felt beneath yourself to beat. If that’s the state of affairs in Benjamin Tx at this moment than that is sad and I do not condone it.
So, Bulldog, does that make you the Chief Condoner now? I believe that you should just have your team ready to play Benjamin or anyone else that is on your schedule. Then you will find out how good Rigdon is or isn’t. If you win, he is great but your team is greater. If you lose, he wasn’t very good but your team had an “off” night.

its a strategy, when your thin on players and cant afford to get anybody hurt you play an easy schedule, you focus on the 4 teams to get to state we already know who it will be, they have to beat jayton to get there, everyone else there are not worried about, gonna be amherst, klondike, balmorhea, maybe whitharral, why have a hard schedule all your proving is who is number 1 in rankings during season which what does that really give you, they are focused on 4 games then they will worry about game 5 which is state

The schedule are made after realignment two years ago. Irion County was originally the week 2 game but they dropped Benjamin before the game. Benjamin replaced Moran, Wildorado from last year with Follett (who played Happy within 4), McLean and Abilene Christian. They are all too 30 in the state and larger schools. They also have Loraine who was number 2 when the season began. They have 45’d each of these teams but at least got a look. All the top D1 schools are playing teams scheduled for two years. Those comments show some fans don’t realize how the scheduling process works imo.

So, Bulldog, does that make you the Chief Condoner now? I believe that you should just have your team ready to play Benjamin or anyone else that is on your schedule. Then you will find out how good Rigdon is or isn’t. If you win, he is great but your team is greater. If you lose, he wasn’t very good but your team had an “off” night.
What the hell does that even mean, maybe you are somehow roundabout trying to excuse why people on this site claim “no one will play Benjamin” but in reality no one in the top 10 have ever said no because they haven’t been asked.

What the hell does that even mean, maybe you are somehow roundabout trying to excuse why people on this site claim “no one will play Benjamin” but in reality no one in the top 10 have ever said no because they haven’t been asked.
You’ve called every school up and asked them? Did not think so. Truth is nobody besides the coaches know what happens during scheduling. I can however assure you Benjamin tried getting tougher games and did not find any success the teams on the schedule were the teams that would line up 6 against Benjamin. Watch and see the game Crowell gives “top dog” Knox City, I see Crowell taking it. Maybe I will finally be wrong about something. Doubtful.

I really don’t because the way I was brought up was that you wanted to challenge the best because you gain knowledge by playing the best. If you don’t test yourself you don’t get better, unless you have no intention of trying to better yourself but just are trying to create hype for yourself or others for personal gain than you wouldn’t seek out the best you can so that you could grow you would seek teams you felt beneath yourself to beat. If that’s the state of affairs in Benjamin Tx at this moment than that is sad and I do not condone it.
I do have first hand knowledge it happened with two teams 100 percent they paid them to play them. I had never heard of this before is why I asked. I've received several Dms now and from what I hear it's something that does happen between schools just not sure how common. Also for those of you who sent me a DM thanks for the insight except for one message lol.

I do have first hand knowledge it happened with two teams 100 percent they paid them to play them. I had never heard of this before is why I asked. I've received several Dms now and from what I hear it's something that does happen between schools just not sure how common. Also for those of you who sent me a DM thanks for the insight except for one message lol.
So imagine if that’s the case how many schools turned down Benjamin if they are having to pay to play games. Are you trying to prove my point?

So imagine if that’s the case how many schools turned down Benjamin if they are having to pay to play games. Are you trying to prove my point?
I'm not imagining it did happen. Was asking if it was something common. Coaches can pick for the most part to play whomever they want. Some choose to challenge with tough schedules and others want to minimize injury and coast until playoffs. Either way it's not my call I asked a question. I'm sure there are many reasons behind who wants to play who and why. I'm not interested in your Point good luck to all and at the end of the year it doesn't matter the best teams at the time will win no matter the Point!!

I would like to point out that there was no such thing as state game MVPs and all the accolades there are now for players for the vast majority of time since there has been a state game for 6man.

Ware was a great player...doubt he would crack my top 25 greatest 6man players list, he wasnt the greatest 6man player in the state when he was playing (G. Rigdon was)

A team winning back to back doesnt make a player the greatest ever, it makes the team a candidate for the greatest team ever. Damien Jackson at Trinidad was far better than Ware and they won one title in the era before two divisions, which it was much harder to win a title before 2006 let alone two. With that said Amherst did win back to back with who was the greatest player I have ever seen in DeWayne Miles (1995 Miles is the best player Ive ever seen). Ft Hancock won 3 out of 4 title games when Cheetah Ramirez played so if you are basing the greatest ever of team title wins/games he has to be your #1 again in an era when there was only one champion.

I did not see Manuel Beltran play, only film. I have had people who played with him and against him and watched Tyler Ethridge play that said Beltran was much better than Ethridge. On film their style of play is very similar and Beltran was bigger than Ethridge was and he played some in college. Beltran is a legit player to have as your greatest of all time

Food for Thought on the Greatest 6man football player:

Ed Sprinkle only HS football was in 1939 at Tuscola playing 6man, he was a 4 time pro-bowler and recently was elected to the pro football hall of fame and called the meanest man in football...pretty sure he makes the cut for greatest 6man player

Ken Konz played all 4 years of HS football playing 6man at Weimer, he went on to play at LSU (in their hall of fame) and was a 1st round draft pick by the Cleveland Browns who he played for 1953-59 winning two titles and was a pro-bowler once.

Don Maynard played 6man football as a freshman at Three Way school (Maple, TX) - he's in the pro-football hall of fame

Jack Pardee played 6man at Christoval survived the famous Junction Boys season at A&M under Bear Bryant had a long NFL playing career as a fullback and linebacker and then a long pro football coaching career

(I would like to note that 2 MLB hall of famers played 6man not in Texas...Gil Hodges and Carl Yastrzemski)

I would like to point out that there was no such thing as state game MVPs and all the accolades there are now for players for the vast majority of time since there has been a state game for 6man.

Ware was a great player...doubt he would crack my top 25 greatest 6man players list, he wasnt the greatest 6man player in the state when he was playing (G. Rigdon was)

A team winning back to back doesnt make a player the greatest ever, it makes the team a candidate for the greatest team ever. Damien Jackson at Trinidad was far better than Ware and they won one title in the era before two divisions, which it was much harder to win a title before 2006 let alone two. With that said Amherst did win back to back with who was the greatest player I have ever seen in DeWayne Miles (1995 Miles is the best player Ive ever seen). Ft Hancock won 3 out of 4 title games when Cheetah Ramirez played so if you are basing the greatest ever of team title wins/games he has to be your #1 again in an era when there was only one champion.

I did not see Manuel Beltran play, only film. I have had people who played with him and against him and watched Tyler Ethridge play that said Beltran was much better than Ethridge. On film their style of play is very similar and Beltran was bigger than Ethridge was and he played some in college. Beltran is a legit player to have as your greatest of all time

Food for Thought on the Greatest 6man football player:

Ed Sprinkle only HS football was in 1939 at Tuscola playing 6man, he was a 4 time pro-bowler and recently was elected to the pro football hall of fame and called the meanest man in football...pretty sure he makes the cut for greatest 6man player

Ken Konz played all 4 years of HS football playing 6man at Weimer, he went on to play at LSU (in their hall of fame) and was a 1st round draft pick by the Cleveland Browns who he played for 1953-59 winning two titles and was a pro-bowler once.

Don Maynard played 6man football as a freshman at Three Way school (Maple, TX) - he's in the pro-football hall of fame

Jack Pardee played 6man at Christoval survived the famous Junction Boys season at A&M under Bear Bryant had a long NFL playing career as a fullback and linebacker and then a long pro football coaching career

(I would like to note that 2 MLB hall of famers played 6man not in Texas...Gil Hodges and Carl Yastrzemski)
Well put leman. I'm shocked you left out Ben Crockett but there are alot to pick from.

tdog5344 - Ben Crockett is in the top 4 that I saw personally (1993-present)

For the record I think there are two camps for "greatest player" 1. simply the greatest player...this player could have developed into the greatest, DeWayne Miles is a good example as he was a totally different animal by the time he was a Senior than he was as a freshman. 2. Greatest HS career...a 4 year stud...this is your Tyler Ethridge, Grayson Rigdon, Manuel Beltran players. Personally I think Miles was the greatest player I ever saw and it isnt close...he would have been a stud player at any HS level. Crockett would be one who developed into a great player IMO his JR & SR years he was incredible.

Now who can beat Benjamin...IDK...Crowell is doing well and would have to simply out score them I think, Id like to see that game. I wish Benjamin and Knox City played each other

The schedule are made after realignment two years ago. Irion County was originally the week 2 game but they dropped Benjamin before the game. Benjamin replaced Moran, Wildorado from last year with Follett (who played Happy within 4), McLean and Abilene Christian. They are all too 30 in the state and larger schools. They also have Loraine who was number 2 when the season began. They have 45’d each of these teams but at least got a look. All the top D1 schools are playing teams scheduled for two years. Those comments show some fans don’t realize how the scheduling process works imo.
Schedules are fluid. It’s not like trying to get out of a time share! Benjamin could have simply called the lower ranked teams and said, “This game will not help either one of us, let’s cancel and find a team that help both of us prepare for district/playoffs.” And they could have found at least one top tier team, but they were not looking for that. Yes, they are good, but to be the best you gotta beat the best. State champions absolutely! Best sixman team in the state? Once again, we’ll never know.

How do contracts work with scheduling? Is there any penalty or remand for dropping an opponent or cancelling scheduled games?

How do contracts work with scheduling? Is there any penalty or remand for dropping an opponent or cancelling scheduled games?
No. From how I understand it, There’s not an actual contract signed for preseason games. It’s a “Coach’s agreement” on when and where. Sometimes administration will give the final yes or no. It just depends on the program. If you cancel on a coach for no reason or warning, you can burn some bridges. District is another story. Your cancel or forfeit a district game it think you forfeit all district games.

Last edited:
Back