Apologies to Gordon

Well, one things for sure. A game between Gordon and RS would deserve to be followed and made into an episode of Friday Night Lights. Would make for some good TV.

Coach B., It looks to me like you were the one who dodged the bullet. Just think how they would have reacted if you had played the wrong school board member's kid!

(and, by the way, as far as any black marks are concerned, as of now I believe they are all on the Gordon side)

You can always count on Strawn folks kicking Gordon when they are down, lucky for you that Gordon hasnt been returning the favor lately. Two Coaches over a 7 year span isnt any more unstable than most places.

Insight, Nohereman fired a shot at Strawn concerning Coach Mallory returning his kids to his hometown where they first started school. I was just returning the favor.

The last two coaches at Gordon: Adams and Mallory....both stayed at least 3 years and neither left for another six man job.

Adams left to be the DC at Hamilton

Mallory left to start his own business and pursue his career in music.

Not sure how this reflects badly on Gordon...

Really do not understand how the Burkhart fiascco is a black mark for Gordon...

To Coach Shipp:

Ignore popcorn's sarcasm....Pretty sure he is not from Gordon and if he is then is not a supporter of the Gordon ISD.

alright lets set the record straight. Alot of post on this board have been posted in anger, including my own. Speculation, assumptions and everything in between. I had a chance to speak with Coach Burkhart who I have been friends with over the last three years. I spoke with him at the State track meet. I wanted to know the reason he did what he did. after talking to him i am satisfied with his reasons. I will not elaborate on the reasons because it was a man to man conversation. I also spoke with him by phone just about 5 minutes ago again, like i said he and i have been friends for a little over 3 years now, his decision not only affected my boys but also affected me personally. I have never been one to hide what is on my mind, he and i have conversations that are direct and to the point. There is no reason for this thread to continue, the past is the past. Both Gordon and Coach Burkhart will be just fine and continue to have success. For the people who want to know the reason, i suggest you get a hold of Coach Burkhart and find out from the source. on the road of life there are always going to be potholes, it is your choice to either stop when you come across one or to continue on the journey. I myself choose to continue on the journey.

I have no dog in this fight. And as someone who really does not care where Coach Burkhart coaches next season (me and 99.99999% of the world), I hope that the parents of the football players and coaches of the teams are taking the opportunity to teach their boys some lessons from this whole fiasco. I don't know how everyone else looks at six-man football, but this type of event is one of the reasons we play the game at our school. Not that we are hoping for these types of things, but we are looking for our kids to learn more from six-man football than how to cut block, tackle in space, or make the opponent miss in the open field. 10, 20 years from now, very few people, even the kids who played the game, will remember each team who won district or state in a given year, much less the men who coached those teams. However, if some of the kids on the Gordon and RS teams can learn from the mistakes made in this course of events, or at least learn the ramifications of their choices when making then going back on a promise, or how job-related decisions may affect their family, etc., then as bad as all this may be for the Burkharts and some fans from the City of Gordon in the short term, it will have been worth it for what it did for the boys involved. As many have already said, this whole thing will pass. However, I hope the boys from RS and Gordon are wiser and ultimately the adult beneficiaries of this whole thing.

So,
it sounds like you are saying,
learning how to deal with
adversity
is more important than winning
a game?

Good Point!!

DEVERETT":3lv0ktvu said:
If richland springs hires him back, it's on them..........jerry go to the oil field, this is embarrassing.

Ouch! That hurt 'pardner'. Looks as if somebody just swallowed some red man or accidently zipped something up in their Rustlers.
My point being Devo is that just because you guys are left standing at the alter (no coach, no wins, no love) you're mad at RS, now.
The last thing you need to worry about Squanto, is who we hire and where people work. What's embarrassing is those a** whippings you guys are getting!
AND not only that, Sitting Bull is charging folks full price at the gate, knowing its only gonna be half a game!

Enjoy it while you can Bill. If RS's enrollment keeps dropping like it has the last few years, pretty soon, you'll be consolidating with San Saba and all you'll have left is memories. Not that I truly want that to happen. There are way too many small town schools gone as it is.

Figur8bug, about that consolidation thing you mentioned, there will be a new school built at Sloan with Cherokee and RS in attendance before the unmentionable happens. Besides there will also be a lot of places frozen over first!

Old Bearkat":2642fsy5 said:
Enjoy it while you can Bill. If RS's enrollment keeps dropping like it has the last few years, pretty soon, you'll be consolidating with San Saba and all you'll have left is memories. Not that I truly want that to happen. There are way too many small town schools gone as it is.

Who saying I not enjoying it!
The Coyote football team's enrollment dropped from about 23 players in 2010 to 11 players in 2012 and guess what......................SAME RESULTS!

By the way, welcome to the haters club! You people can't stand those Coyotes winning like they have been!
We're so sorry that yall's life is effected by the Coyotes winning ways!
The SECRET'S in the SAUCE!

I think all have missed the biggest problem I have with this situation. All coaches, no matter what level, preach to their kids about making a commitment and honoring that commitment. We talk about being a family. Our expectations have always been for students to honor their commitments. And now we have some who are defending a coach, an adult, for doing the exact opposite of what he undoubtedly preaches. Why? Is it now OK for a coach to say one thing and do another? Should we all not practice what we preach? I am a firm believer as a coach in doing what you say you are going to do. In this case that was clearly not done.

Bill O'Rielly":2tnulec7 said:
Old Bearkat":2tnulec7 said:

Who saying I not enjoying it!
The Coyote football team's enrollment dropped from about 23 players in 2010 to 11 players in 2012 and guess what......................SAME RESULTS!

By the way, welcome to the haters club! You people can't stand those Coyotes winning like they have been!
We're so sorry that yall's life is effected by the Coyotes winning ways!
The SECRET'S in the SAUCE!
How can i get some of that SAUCE?

Insight said:
You can always count on Strawn folks kicking Gordon when they are down, lucky for you that Gordon hasnt been returning the favor lately. Two Coaches over a 7 year span isnt any more unstable than most places.

maybe you misunderstood. i stated since Coach C had retired. if i count right, maybe that would be 5, not two. now i guess that would be up for discussion whether it would be in 9 or 10 years....never the less explain it to me if i am wrong.

eddie boy do u need some counseling?

I have a question and I know its going to light a few fires but there seems to be some schools that are constantly being accused of recruiting... since I have been around its led by RS, Highland, and WV... back in the day marathon ... does this happen or are these teams made up of kids who grew up within the school districts? ? ?

kbjoe1":3g3n6za8 said:
I have a question and I know its going to light a few fires but there seems to be some schools that are constantly being accused of recruiting... since I have been around its led by RS, Highland, and WV... back in the day marathon ... does this happen or are these teams made up of kids who grew up within the school districts? ? ?

I'm not gonna comment on this, but I read with a chuckle on another set of boards the glee of the folks on that board that, in the UIL 1A basketball championship, Mumford defeated a Dallas-area charter school which was alleged to be loaded with a number of high-profile AAU players.

A few posts later, it was pointed out that Mumford's team relied on a number of out-of-district enrolled students who were allowed to attend the district for various reasons.

Stories about districts that were able to entice "move-ins" have been around since about a week or two after the guys finished writing The Bible.

When I was a kid, back in the 70s up in cheeshead land, we played in a district with a town called "Kohler." If you've spent anytime near a toliet, you've probably seen the name ... it's that Kohler. Anyway, Kohler is a company town. The Kohler company actually owned all the land in town (and the school district) and you basically leased the land on a 99-year lease. Back many, many years ago, it was a way for the Kohlers to offer a place to live for their employees.

Anyway, back in the 70s, good paying, union jobs were not easy to come by. But it always seemed that if you had a kid who was a decent athlete (football, basketball, track, baseball), a job (and a low-rent house) were easy to come by if you wanted to work at the Kohler Company and live and send your kid to the Kohler schools.

One day, somebody was telling me that ol' Gordon Wood had been pretty successful in convincing a few out-of-towners that their son would be well served with an education at Brownwood High School, if you get the drift. I remembered my experience with the good folks at Kohler ... and guess who has a plant in Brownwood!

Back