7.7 KB · Views: 2,895
  • Mad child 7.jpg
    Mad child 7.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 2,895
  • Mad CHild 6.jpg
    Mad CHild 6.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 2,895
John 8:7 "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

Some of the people on this website sicken me. A man makes a mistake and you lash out at him? I'm pretty sure there have been many times in your life that you had made a deal or promise and didn't keep it. Yes my dad, (Coach Burkhart) is not perfect, but neither are any of you on here. My dad HAS called and texted EVERY kid in Gordon and apologized. Sad thing is, they are more forgiving than you all are. They understand that family comes first. Yes I understand that the community of Gordon is hurt, but like all of us know, they are all athletes and will still be great. He also made a promise to the boys in RS that he has stood by for 10 years. How do you think they felt when they heard he was leaving? And for you to say that it wasn't about FAMILY.... who are you to say what the reason is? you have no idea what goes on in this family. So i suggest you keep those personal comments to yourself. The Burkhart family is very sorry for how things turned out. But to sit on here and run your mouth about a man who really chose his FAMILY over CAREER, just sickens me. Yes to sign a contract means you make a legal agreement, but I highly doubt he was the first person to ever do this. It's just when someone is on top everyone is going to find reasons to hate him or bash him. But you know what i say about those people? "HATERS ARE LIKE CRICKETS. THEY ARE CHIRPIN' WHEN YOUR BACK IS TURNED, BUT WHEN YOU GET UP CLOSE TO THEM THEY ARE SILENT." In my dads decision to move back to RS, has nothing to do with most of you "CRICKETS" on here (people that hide behind their username....). So yes i understand the hurt of the Gordon community, but that does not give anybody, ANYBODY the right to throw him under the bus and run your mouth about a man who chose his family over career. I'm glad my father has taught me to be a family man and not someone who teaches their children that trash talking and bashing other people is gonna change the past or to make them feel better.

Believe what you want; but has not called or texted the boys in Gordon.
I have one of the boys! It is better left as is and everyone move on.

Haustin, I couldn't of said it better. No one knows the true reason why he left, oh I'm sure few do. Your dad and mom are the best no matter what these people have to say. Don't let them get to you because that's what they want to do is trash talk about something they have no clue about. I do wish the Gordon kids the very best and yes we will see you win State. I'm sure a coach isn't going to stop them from giving all they have to win, they have heart to be winners. Yes Haustin many of these people are church goers or they know not to judge lest they be judge the same way. Hopefully they threw their rocks down and walked away. I love you grandson. I saw a real man tonight.

what is the deal with our little town? since our hall of fame coach retired the program has struggled. coach after coach have come and gone. some stayed a year and high tailed it, some a little longer. one stayed until he was run off by immorality.

what is the deal with our little town? is it the pot heads, the lack of parental guidance. i know we have both. or maybe we will just sue the school because the school must cover their tail. couldn't be my kids fault!

what is the deal with our little town? is it the school board who wants all the power. will they now change the no tolerance policy because a couple of players fail a drug test or for one that gets arrested for pot?

what is the deal with our little town? i heard one ex-coach say this is not a town i want to raise my kids in and he is not. and now a coach of seemingly good morals has left before he started.

like the granny watching her grandson march in the band said, look! everybody is out of step but my grandson.

what IS the deal with our little town?

wake up America!

I'm sorry some are upset, or I should say most on this board. I promise life will go on. I pray that all will let this go and see what this football season brings. If everyone is upset then kids at Gordon will be upset. Lets all make a great season for them and let all the hate go away, please.

Haustin-what you said is spot on. People who are jealous will always run their mouth. Your dad is a class act, in all honestly the best. He has forgotten more about 6man football then what most people on here will ever know. I started coaching a few yrs ago to help my son's team out, your dad was the first UIL coach I met at his clinic and he made me want to work harder to be a better coach. I'm sure he will have some sleepless nights over this but no one on this board has a clue what they would do until they are in the exact same spot. Just a piece of advice from a preachers kid that has heard many people try to tare my dad down to make themselves feel better. Don't put too much thought into what people have to say, give your dad a big hug and celebrate with him in his success, because we all know that Coach B will be back on top soon.

Praying for your family...

I am glad that Jerry has the support of so many right now, clearly he will need it to wrestle with his own demons that brought him to this decision. My question though, is in seeing the history of the rhetoric on this board, it seems that no one can ever do wrong in the eyes of some. Honestly, how much of a JERK move does someone have to make before they can be criticized? In the history of Coaching situations I have dealt with, I have never known a situation similar to this. The depth in which he seemed to have bought in to begin with, and how much he got the kids to buy in, only to go silent for days, not showing up, and then not giving a reason other than "family", just is beyond me. Bud, take it all in, you earned it. Yes it will pass, and no one at Gordon will be asking you to come back at ANY point in the future. I bet Gordon starts scheduling RS games again now.

To Haustin and Melani, if family comes first, why even leave in the first place? I don't think anyone is faulting Burkie for changing his mind, people are upset that he "changed" so quickly AND after RS hired a coach with some talented kids. Then to use God and family to hide the real reason is just appalling. Remember, there are many of us here who know these coaches and talk to them...we know what they are thinking.

In the end this will probably be the BEST thing that could have have happened for Gordon and the State of Texas. True colors are being exposed, the veil of perfection is being removed. I just hope he really likes RS because after this incident any other school would be a fool to hire him.

After "preaching" to my family not to respond on here, I have had enough. Do you think that if you move in the day before you are to go to work and housing is a part of your contract and you have no permanent place to live, that you might rethink your decision? I understand what the problem was, but that doesn't give the people of Gordon the right to bash Jerry. Also if RS has hired a coach with or without kids, we are not aware of it.

Guys, let's settle down.

This isn't the first time that somebody took a job, got cold feet, and stayed home. Didn't the UF buckets coach take the Orlando NBA job a few years ago, all that pomp and circumstance and the press conference, and then decided that Florida was where he wanted to be? Cripes, Lou Saban and Larry Brown moved around with jobs more than a band of gypsy home repair scammers looking for the next group of suckers to fleece! (I used to say, one question never asked by Lou Saban in a job interview: "What's the retirement plan like?")

Yep, there's no good way to do this. And there will be bad feelings for awhile in both towns. Haven't had the opportunity to visit Richland Springs, but Gordon is a great community and I'm pretty sure that hornkeeper and the good folks in Gordon will have open arms and will support whoever leads that program. I kinda would miss going to the clinic in Gordon -- the Longhorn Inn is a nice place to stay, good people, and a crawfish boil I never expected to have outside of Louisana!

But my good friends at Gordon and Richland Springs both will be okay. Just take a deep breath and enjoy God's creation for the day. It'll all work out.

Straightshooter

You are misinformed about something.....A house is part of the contract but not until July. Jerry wanted to come to Gordon in May, but was told there was not a school house available until July. They helped him find a place at Palo Pinto Lake that they really liked. Please dont try to make Gordon out as the problem or the negative in this. They did everything they could and by the book and got left at the alter....The program and tradition at Gordon will continue and lets all move on.

And we did not use God and Family as a reason to hide the truth. It is the truth. But like ive said no one knows what goes on in this family. So keep the personal comments to yourself. We love our God and would never make him an excuse. That is just you trying to get at us and make us bad people because your jealous of the fact that he is blessed with success and you can't stand it. Grow up and stop taking shots at us.

Coach Shipp thank you and welcome to the Longhorn family.
Popcorn- have to say that don't think you are totally informed and not saying I know everything either; but the pot head students you reffered to I understand moved into the Dist and Gordon had to take them. As far as the coach not wanting his kids to go to school in Gordon is because he resigned and thinks they can get a better education in a low preforming school and win at football. Seems to me that people have forgotten what school is about! Education can never be taken away from you but State Titles can. We all have things that need to be improved on. I think this topic should be laid to rest and lets all move on in life.
May GOD bless and Keep us all; no matter what!

Back