Apologies to Gordon

Old Bearkat":2a9a4rzl said:
I still wish Kohler would sponsor the Toilet Bowl, a game between the two worst college football teams.......

And you could be a true four-sport athlete in Kohler ... because they (as a number of Wisconsin high schools) played their varsity baseball in the summer. The true "double season" was the winter -- wrestling vs basketball.

kbjoe1":2azw2xp1 said:
I have a question and I know its going to light a few fires but there seems to be some schools that are constantly being accused of recruiting... since I have been around its led by RS, Highland, and WV... back in the day marathon ... does this happen or are these teams made up of kids who grew up within the school districts? ? ?

I don't think it's recruiting but transfers...which are legal.

Gordon Wood did that exact thing with a Mullin kid in the early 80s that went on to be a star defensive player at UT...Rocky Allen who played I beieve his freshman and Sophomore years at Mullin and was on at least one of their teams that went to the state game

Freshman year at Gustine, Sophmore year at Mullin. Most recruiting is legal. Someone from the community convinces a young man to transfer. (not the coaching staff) He is willing to sit out a year to become eligible. Happens fairly often. The school hires a full time employee, could be a janiter but most often a coach. They don't even have to move into the school district to be eligible. The school asks for a waiver for the children of an employee. I have never heard of time when it was not granted. Would the school have hired the employee if he didn't have kids? Probably not.

The gray areas involve foster kids and sometimes orphans. Cherokee has had an orphans home in their district since at least the early 70's maybe longer. They have at times had some really good athletes come from that home. They and foster kids are treated just like anyone who has moved into their district with their parents. If it during the summer they are eligible, if it is during the school year they are subject to the 15 day rule. Mullin and Star have kept their schools open by inviting tax paying home owners to house foster kids. In the mid 90's Mullin's footballteams had between 80 and 90 per cent foster kids. In recent years Richland Springs has had a few foster kids. I have no way of knowing how many and the Richland Springs folks havn't been talking about it. My question has always been: Do these schools take pot luck from the state or do they have a way of screening for athletes? Do any of them have alumni who are in a position stear good athletes there way?

Coaches are not supposed to actively recruit transfers. It happens sometimes but how could you catch them at it? Sometimes the transfers and coaches try slide past the district committee bygetting a P.O. box and claiming they have moved into the district. Or moving in with Grandma and the parents swear on a stack of bibles that they have moved in also. District committees tend to take the Coach's word when he says "As for as I know they have moved into the district". If a Coach is willing to cheat just a little he will usually get the kid elgible even when he is not. The only way to get a situation investigated is for several of the schools in the district saying that they heard or knew something different. As often as not someone from within their own district has sold them out. Most of the time no one in the football district will say anything. They will also have someone with questionable eligibility. When you live in a glass house you don't throw rocks!

Jerry (coach) I've known you and your family for about all the time you been in San Saba county and you are a class act in my book ...
Even tho my heart bleeds Indian blue and yours bleeds coyote blue ... You made a choice for your family and it's not important to explain in details ..you bring out the best in the young men you have coach ...Patrick has been over my house a time or two since the state game...you have done a great job with him and he talks great words about playing for you as I did with Coach Mr Maddox ...and I'm sure Patrick will for the rest of his life ..it's hard to find a good coach theses days ...As we look for another coach in Cherokee keep in mind you would have to change colors ...lol

Blue Bird":3p33vamm said:
Freshman year at Gustine, Sophmore year at Mullin. Most recruiting is legal. Someone from the community convinces a young man to transfer. (not the coaching staff) He is willing to sit out a year to become eligible. Happens fairly often. The school hires a full time employee, could be a janiter but most often a coach. They don't even have to move into the school district to be eligible. The school asks for a waiver for the children of an employee. I have never heard of time when it was not granted. Would the school have hired the employee if he didn't have kids? Probably not.

The gray areas involve foster kids and sometimes orphans. Cherokee has had an orphans home in their district since at least the early 70's maybe longer. They have at times had some really good athletes come from that home. They and foster kids are treated just like anyone who has moved into their district with their parents. If it during the summer they are eligible, if it is during the school year they are subject to the 15 day rule. Mullin and Star have kept their schools open by inviting tax paying home owners to house foster kids. In the mid 90's Mullin's footballteams had between 80 and 90 per cent foster kids. In recent years Richland Springs has had a few foster kids. I have no way of knowing how many and the Richland Springs folks havn't been talking about it. My question has always been: Do these schools take pot luck from the state or do they have a way of screening for athletes? Do any of them have alumni who are in a position stear good athletes there way?

Coaches are not supposed to actively recruit transfers. It happens sometimes but how could you catch them at it? Sometimes the transfers and coaches try slide past the district committee bygetting a P.O. box and claiming they have moved into the district. Or moving in with Grandma and the parents swear on a stack of bibles that they have moved in also. District committees tend to take the Coach's word when he says "As for as I know they have moved into the district". If a Coach is willing to cheat just a little he will usually get the kid elgible even when he is not. The only way to get a situation investigated is for several of the schools in the district saying that they heard or knew something different. As often as not someone from within their own district has sold them out. Most of the time no one in the football district will say anything. They will also have someone with questionable eligibility. When you live in a glass house you don't throw rocks!

... And they lived happily everafter.

I've heard the stories of recruiting for 50 years or more just as I'm sure anyone withe the slightest interest in high school sports has unless the have led a very sheltered life.
Strikes me that these accusations always come about as a way for rivals to explain the success of their competition. Their team would never stoop to such dishonest tactics.

smokeyjoe53":12v9v98w said:
I've heard the stories of recruiting for 50 years or more just as I'm sure anyone withe the slightest interest in high school sports has unless the have led a very sheltered life.
Strikes me that these accusations always come about as a way for rivals to explain the success of their competition. Their team would never stoop to such dishonest tactics.

From Casablanca, 1942:

Rick: How can you close me up? On what grounds?
Captain Renault: I'm shocked... shocked to find that gambling is going on in there.
Young Employee: Your winnings sir.
Captain Renault: Thank you very much.

In 1993 and 1994 in District 21-5A teams turned other teams in for using ineligible players. They did it at the end of the regular season and in both cases it allowed the protesting team into the playoffs. In both cases it was determined the protesting team had found out long before they actually complained and was using the knowledge only as an ace in the hole (I don't complain if it doesn't benefit me). This didn't involve star players, one year it only involved one district game and the other year two. My question is, who cheated?

Back