6 man History

Elmdale never played, it would have been in the Abilene paper if they did as they covered that area's 6man games very well. A lot of schools showed interest and attended the first district/league meetings (when a schedule was usually made) in those first years (especially in 1938) but never fielded a team when it came time to start the season. Elmdale is an example of that

Leman Saunders":3owiz2er said:
Elmdale never played, it would have been in the Abilene paper if they did as they covered that area's 6man games very well. A lot of schools showed interest and attended the first district/league meetings (when a schedule was usually made) in those first years (especially in 1938) but never fielded a team when it came time to start the season. Elmdale is an example of that

There were a lot of schools like that.

OBK, De Leon spells their bearcat with a "C", Garden City spells their bearkat with a "K". Has Garden City's bearkat always been spelled with "K" and is there a story behind the spelling?

Blue Bird":3mz8blcr said:
OBK, De Leon spells their bearcat with a "C", Garden City spells their bearkat with a "K". Has Garden City's bearkat always been spelled with "K" and is there a story behind the spelling?

Yes, and I do not know. Maybe it was just to be different.

Little Doc":g5sva2u2 said:
Garwood played 11 man back in the late 60's. Can't remember who they consolidated with later on.
Garwood, Sheridan, and Eagle Lake all merged to create the Rice Consolidated School in 1969.

OBK, on the playoff site you were joking about using scuba gear to play a football game. I decided not to post on that site, but will post it here. In '51 or '52 Sidney played Copperas Cove in a bi-district game in Lampasas. A few years back I visited with a man that played in that game for Sidney. He said the rain water on the field was so bad the official had to hold the ball in place before every play to keep it from floating off. That suggests wind, rain, and runoff. Oh, and Sidney won that game 6-0.

Very interesting. Thanks for providing this information. The timeframe somewhat coincides with the famous
"12 Mighty Orphans" that captured the interest of not just football fans in Texas, but of sports fans throughout the entire country.
I look forward to following this thread, and thanks again

1973 6 and 8 man districts

201611120907171952.png

That Lueders team had some studs! BA Honey played football at ACU and Rex Garven ran track and maybe played baseball at Baylor and is in the Baylor Hall of Fame (ring of honor or whatever it's called)

Back