6 man History

Looking through what I have for 1938...

I have an articles saying these districts were formed but no scores for them as a 6-man
- Southmayd, Sadler, Gordonville, Tom Bean (pretty sure they were in an 11man district), Pottsboro, Savoy, (also a junior team from Bells)
- Avery, Annona, Boxelder, Fulbright, Detroit

And a UIL document saying this District was formed but I have only found scores for Union that year:

Fairview, Hancock, Harmony, McCarty, Sparenberg, Woody, Union (unknown if this district formed at all; Union did play football)

Three articles from the Hill Country 6 man district in 1938....

29426308946_75468da3a6_c.jpg

In going through this thread I found info stating that there were five districts in 1938. (Also they weren't sanctioned by the UIL until 1939 it seems). A couple of the districts were listed for 38 but none from 1939. I would like to compile a list of where they are today similar to the one I did for the big schools from the first year UIL sanctioned 11-man ball.

I am willing to debate what was "official" UIL districts in 1938, as the one document I have is from the UIL and undated...and it is this document that all sources (including this website..."only 55 schools participated in 6man football") cite as the official number of schools playing 6man in 1938 as 55

In fact over 120 schools in Texas played 6man in 1938...now which ones were UIL sanctioned is up for debate. (Stephen Epler article in the UIL Leaguer from "Texas Leads in 6-Man Football" Feb 1939 issue, page 1)

I have two examles at hand to prove this UIL document was printed very early in the fall of 1938 and that maybe not all districts and school had reported in by the time it was printed:

Example 1:
The UIL document in question lists this as district 4: Blue Ridge, Floyd, Josephine, Merit, Nevada, Princeton, Prosper (district chairman A. Richardson, Blue Ridge) no winner is signified by being underlined (which only 4 of the 8 districts are).

In fact via newspaper accounts we know that this was District 4 – Blue Ridge, Floyd, Princeton, Nevada, Josephine, Allen, Murphy...and Allen won the district...Merit and Prosper didnt field teams at all...

Example 2:
The UIL document in question lists 5 schools as agreeing to the UIL rules but not in any district (Hobbs, Ben Bolt, Dowdy, Draw-Redwine, Pyote)

Yet 3 of those schools show up in districts, Dowdy, Hobbs, and Pyote. Hobbs we know were district champions and in fact the Abilene Reporter News mistaken wrote an article claiming Sylvester won that district and a few days later printed a retraction saying that Sylvester was not sanctioned by the UIL and was not a member of the district.

So needless to say the mythical "original 55" is HIGHLY DOUBTFUL because we know at least two of those schools listed didnt play...and we know that many more than "55" played six-man in 1938

Here is what the 1938 UIL document "official List of Participating Schools" for six-man says at the bottom after the districts are listed:

"We want to welcome you to the first season of six-man football in Texas. Six-man football is an activity that has been devised to meet the athletic needs of the small high schools.

We believe that the present charter members will see the day in Texas when there will be as many teams engaged in six-man football as are playing eleven-man.

The schools that have accepted the football plan and agreed to abide by the rules and regulations of the League are to be congratulated. The University Interscholastic League appreciates your efforts in helping to maintain the eligibility rules of the League. There are a large number of schools in Texas participating in this sport this fall that have failed to accept the football plan. We believe that it is the best policy to start off right and not make any compromises on the rules. When we can be of any assistance to you in sponsoring the League program in your school, county or district, do not hesitate to call on us.

R. J. Kidd
Athletic Director"

It seems likely that after this was sent out, other schools sent in their request to participate and form a district. Based on a great many newspaper accounts from 1938

I know in 1938 the district that Westbrook, Garden City, Sterling City, Forsan, Water Valley, Courtney, and Knott played in was not a UIL district. Coahoma was originally supposed to be a member, but dropped out when the district voted not to affiliate with the UIL. Specifically, the Coahoma coach cited the UIL restrictions on recruiting and overage players as the reason for going UIL. Sure enough, about 2/3 through the season, Forsan faced multiple accusations of both instances, and dropped out of the league. Westbrook ended up winning the district, but it fell apart at the end of the season, and in 1939 it was reconstituted as an UIL district.

Im working my way through some newspaper archives today and finding a lot of NEW and interesting stuff from 1938:

As we know from OBK's findings there was a spring district made up that was playing six-man football before anyone else was in TX in 1938 (newspaper articles from Big Springs document it very well with league organization starting in January of 1938, and games played after track season in the spring before school let out)

But also I have found that Barstow played Pyote in Wink on Friday April 30th (no score given/found yet)

and Friona hosted a demonstration game of six-man that was a split squad game in Friona on May 6th Red team beat the White team 31-26

But still I have found nothing to prove that Prairie Lea and Martindale played a game in the spring or summer of 1938...and all these games were no doubt played before theirs if they did play at all...

Back