6 man History

I remember seeing some of those articles in the Archive several years ago. I had posted them on the original history thread at the time. Maybe this weekend I'll go back in and see if I can retrieve them again.

Along the same topic...I ran across this article once during one of my digging sessions:

Check out the Valley Morning Star, Nov 19th, 1974 article "Six-Man Football Enlightened Valley Gridirons", page 11

Great article about some of the history of six-man in the valley, and has a picture of the starters for the 1946 Los Fresnos team, who were the champs that year (so the article says)

http://www.newspapers.com/image/4151959 ... the+valley

Some of those small South Texas schools who are either struggling in 11 man (like Santa Rosa), or do not field a football team at all (Tilden, Nordheim), could probably get a district going.

Tilden
Nordheim
Austwell-Tivoli
Runge
Knippa
Utopia
Santa Rosa
Leakey
Comstock
San Isidro
San Perlita
Moulton
La Pryor
Rocksprings

Looks like only Leakey, La Pryor, and Rocksprings are still playing football.

OBK, CT6MFL - Do either one of you have access to the "Allen American" newspapers? There was an article published in 1971 talking about their first years of football...as stated before the folks at Allen say they played 6-man in 1936 and 1937 but the scores on lonestar for those years are against schools that were playing 11-man...

Leman Saunders":n1ishnte said:
OBK, CT6MFL - Do either one of you have access to the "Allen American" newspapers? There was an article published in 1971 talking about their first years of football...as stated before the folks at Allen say they played 6-man in 1936 and 1937 but the scores on lonestar for those years are against schools that were playing 11-man...

Nope. I'm pretty sure those years Allen played 11 man only.

On a different subject, here's an old photo I found of the very first football team at Rule in 1928. Note those spiffy jerseys......

Attachments

• Rule Football 1928.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 1,298

No, I don't have access to it.

ok so I went back in what I found over the last couple of days and tried to put it into a linear format and heres what I have pulled out.

- 1936-1937 Coach Leland H. Dickson of Orange Grove decided to play Six-man, due to recent scheduling issues with local 11-man teams because they had previously used “outlaw” players. “Two men recall the six-man team” Article Nov 18, 2011 Alice Echo.

- Sometime after that they played Castroville High School “Two men recall the six-man team” Article Nov 18, 2011 Alice Echo.

- Sometime after that they played the best team from the Valley at Texas A & I University which is located in Kingsville. The Valley team is still in question. “Years of Six-Man Football at Orange Grove High School” Article Nov 18, 2011 Alice Echo.

- 1938-1939 “Bishop, Banquette, Agua Dulce, San Diego, Benavides and more” six-man teams were all mentioned by Delmas Seidel in the “Two men recall the six-man team” Article Nov 18, 2011 Alice Echo.

- George Carl Gutschke, as mentioned in his memorial, played on the 1939 Orange Grove Six-Man state championship football team. Graduated from Orange Grove in 1943. Passed away and went to six-man heaven March 18, 2014.

- Wednesday Nov 22, 1939 – The Harligen news paper said that “Six-man football takes over Cardinal Field here Wednesday night and when the smoke of the battle has cleared, the Rio Grande Valley will have it’s first six-man gridiron champion.”

- The Warriors (Santa Rosa) were one of the original members of a six-man district in the Rio Grande Valley that lasted from 1939 to 1954. McAllen Monitor August 29, 2006.

- Santa Rosa won the first six-man district title in the Valley in the district's inaugural season, but the team did not make the playoffs again for a staggering 48 years. McAllen Monitor August 29, 2006.

- 1941 Valley teams HI Jardin, Los Fresnos, St. Joseph's Academy (Brownsville), en-Eagle star; Sharyland ; Wilson school, San Perlita

- Delmas P. Seidel, 87, passed away and went to six-man football heaven February 3, 2010?

Brownsville St. Joseph was also one of the teams in that 1939 district, just like Price Memorial in Amarillo was in Groom's 6 man district.

The article I posted about, 1974 Valley Morning Star article has 1939 being the first year six-man was in the Valley, but could be wrong...

along those lines if you have a copy of my research paper check the notes in the back...

the only thing I could find that might have challenge 1936 being the first year of interschool six-man play in Texas was the mention of a team in Big Wells in 1935 but I tried hard to dig up info about it and could find nothing. That might be a line of inquiry that could hep you CT6MFL

I guess that would be the "more teams" and maybe even others.

I didn't understand these though
1941 Valley teams HI Jardin, en-Eagle star; and Wilson school

The OCR messed up the first two.

Back