6 man History

Id say that yes they were at one time part of the PVIL, both towns are listed. However, the dates for the schools dont match the date of the paper.

I had been looking the last few years to see if the Big Spring 6 man coaches school/meeting was the first one organized ever. This confirmed it was.

The Archive recently added the Harper Herald to it's collection. I was looking in the 1946 papers, which was the first year they played football (6 man of course), and one of the games they played, on 11/15/1946, was against San Antonio Sam Houston.

That's right, SA Sam Houston. In a 6 man game played in San Antonio.

Harper won 51-0.

The Hurricanes did not play 11 man varsity football until 1947.

Another interesting little tidbit I found in the Harper paper was more information on what happened to the long Nueces Canyon winning streak that stretched over 50 games from 1956-1960. It seems that the week the season ended, the Harper coach got wind of a supposedly ineligible player on the Panther team that had beaten them 50-34 a few weeks previously. A protest was filed with both the district committee and the UI of L. The UIL ruled the player eligible, but the district committee disagreed and ruled him ineligible, forced NC to forfeit the game to Harper and stripped them of the district championship. At the time NC had the national record winning streak going at 50 games, breaking the record recently set by Abilene High. With the forfeit, the record reverted back to Abilene.

This brings up a thought - can a district committee still overrule the UIL on something like this?

From a San Antonio Express News article:

"Tom Connell, Nueces Canyon Principal, said the ruling involved third-string end Mike Cox."

That is some bad bad bad luck there...article says the streak ended with the forfeit making it 47.

Leman Saunders":1s2yjrbt said:
From a San Antonio Express News article:

"Tom Connell, Nueces Canyon Principal, said the ruling involved third-string end Mike Cox."

That is some bad bad bad luck there...article says the streak ended with the forfeit making it 47.

Yep. I know the Harper folks were frustrated at finishing either second in district or losing in bi-district to them in those years. NC would be a strong favorite for the best 6 man team in Texas in that time frame although Borden County or Jayton might contest that, except they went 8 man in 1958.

Ed Sprinkle, who played 6 man ball at Tuscola in the early 1940's and then played for the Chicago Bears from 1944-1955 died on July 28 in Palos Heights IL, a suburb of Chicago. As Leman has previously posted, during his pro career, he was known as the "Meanest man in the NFL."

Thought I'd share this article from 1936: This is what appeared in the Sweetwater Reporter newspaper, it was also printed in the Big Springs newspaper on Oct. 26th. A Good Read!

The Sweetwater Reporter
Sunday Morning, Oct 25, 1936 page2

Six-Man Football is Boon to the Small High School
By: Shelby Jobes Coach, Sylvester High

Six-Man Football is Here to Stay.
The football problem of the small high school is solved. Experiments with the game in this area this season show that the game is sound. If properly coached and organized should spread rapidly next year among the small high schools of West Texas.
While six-man football retains blocking and tackling, the game is considerably “opened up” by the rules, which permits all players to receive passes except the snapper back. The rules further requires at least one backward pass on all running plays.

Has All The Thrills
The six-man variety has all the thrills of regular football; end runs, line bucks, center smashes, reverse and spinner plays, forward and lateral passes.
The crowds show their approval at the completion of a forward pass, or the execution of a good tackle, or a perfect block as they do in regular football. In fact, all the fundamentals of football are utilized in the abbreviated game.
One distinctive feature of the game is that the quarterback must pass the ball at least two yards back of the line of scrimmage before it can be advanced, thus making the play more open.

Need Good Equipment
Six-man football should not be played in inferior equipment. The players must be fully and properly protected; provided with the best equipment the schools can afford. The game is less expensive because it does not require suits and equipment for so many boys.
Here at Sylvester High school, we have equipped 15 boys, giving us two good teams with three reserves.
Along with our regular practice we spend an hour each day on “touch” football. This gives the boys good practice in passing, receiving passes, handling the ball, breaking up passes and open field running.
Many schools have given up regular football as an organized sport with scheduled games. It is usually not because the boys do not like the regulation game-with its blocking and tackling, but that the schools cannot offer the game as it should be played.

So I read Lemans story on the 1936 league. Awesome by the way. So riddle me this, what happend between 1936 until the UIL established it in 1938? So what happened during the 1937 season?

Back