6 man History

I thought your Big Springs area schools played in the Spring of 1938? Also Textline played a six-man game in 1937 against Grenville, NM. Other than that I havent found any thing else...a McCaulley guy couldnt remember if they played again in 1937 or not but he thought they did...but no scores are in newspapers to verify.

I thought your Big Springs area schools played in the Spring of 1938? Also Textline played a six-man game in 1937 against Grenville, NM. Other than that I havent found any thing else...a McCaulley guy couldnt remember if they played again in 1937 or not but he thought they did...but no scores are in newspapers to verify.

it just seems kinda fishy to me, all that hard work then poof gone....

well out of those 4 schools only Hobbs and Sylvester had any "serious" enrollment and I think Sylvester played 11-man in 1937...so if they didnt play the likely reason why is one or 2 of the schools just didnt have enough kids to play or didn't want to field a team for any number of reasons...cotton picking being an extremely good reason back then why not to play. Who knows...like I said no newspaper article about them playing in 1937 but the Rotan and Roby newspapers have not survived the passage of time and those are the two that would have had scores if they played.

Not that fishy if you think about it

Likely those very same 4 schools...and who knows they might have played some games in 1937...I looked through every Sweetwater Reporter newspaper and Nolan County News newspaper from 1935-1945 during the football seasons (Aug-Jan)...they had no six-man scores or articles for that period of 1937. But that May article I wouldnt have seen as it was out of the time frame of football season...It would be worth a look again. I believe the only 3 places you can view those Sweetwater papers are, the Nolan County Library in Sweetwater, the newspaper office in Sweetwater, and the Southwest Collection at Texas Tech.

Interesting. I'm working in Alice and I go through Orange Grove twice a day. I'll do a little digging if I get a chance.

i know your on the road so if ya need any numbers or addresses, just let me know and Ill get them to ya. want me to do some leg work for ya, I can do that too.

If you do need something... pm me here because ATT dosent work very well in Marlin:). Ill get it faster on here.

Dec 6th 1939 Brownwood Harrold

From OCR text
Santa Rosa's , ,, ,, Warriors, champion of the Valley's'scholastic league" history," fell before six-man conference, will be playing! Humble In district play. The Wink tor the mythical championship o f ' w i l d c a t s , rated by many last year Donna Meets Alice In A Hi-District (By The At"oclnfecl PrpiM A couple of familiar teams were missing Tuesday a: 40 district champions squared off In the battle for regional honors of the Class A division In Texas schoolboy football. Hull-Daisetta, which ran up the greatest winning streak in Inter-' consensus here that it would Southwest Texas Thursday ·pwhon they clash with the night unde- at«l Orange Grove sextet at Klngsvllle. Rnnkln Robertson, chairman of the Vnllry six-man league, n n n o u n - as the most powerful team in West Texas, went down before the ineligibility bugaboo. Ten regional championships are on the line, all to be determined by the end of next week.

Yes that OCR text came out out of brownwood. some of those archive sites wont let you see the PDF unless your a member, but once in awhile you get lucky and grab an ocr text.

That OCR text is tricky, makes it hard to read.

Back