6 man History

Note the schools participating in this district. One was Brownsville St. Joseph, which still plays football. The UIL did let some small parochial schools participate in 6 man districts if they wanted to and had a good reason. Price Memorial Catholic played in a UIL district with Groom, Booker, Darrouzett, Kelton, and Alanreed that year too. The UIL changed the next year and did not allow parochials to be in UIL districts.

Los Fresnos, now a 5A school
Mission Sharyland, also 5A and in the same district as Los Fresnos
La Joya also 5A and in the same district as the previous 2
Santa Rosa, now a 2A school
San Perlita, still a small Class A school, but one of the non-football sissy schools
Brownsville St. Joseph, TAPPS Div 1
El Jardin and Stuart Place are Ghost League schools now.

Old Bearkat":3rfkrfp4 said:
Note the schools participating in this district. One was Brownsville St. Joseph, which still plays football. The UIL did let some small parochial schools participate in 6 man districts if they wanted to and had a good reason. Price Memorial Catholic played in a UIL district with Groom, Booker, Darrouzett, Kelton, and Alanreed that year too. The UIL changed the next year and did not allow parochials to be in UIL districts.

San Perlita, still a small Class A school, but one of the non-football sissy schools

I think LaJoya has two 5A schools ... I think there may be a significant "visiting population" because when I last drove through LaJoya a couple years ago, it wasn't a 5A town, if you get my drift.

lifegatesports":1lbx6bwq said:
Old Bearkat":1lbx6bwq said:

I think LaJoya has two 5A schools ... I think there may be a significant "visiting population" because when I last drove through LaJoya a couple years ago, it wasn't a 5A town, if you get my drift.

understood.....

Hey OFB!!

Have you ever heard about Draw-Redwine? They had a school there that played 6 man for a few years. Scores have been few and far between for them though.

Millersview, an old 6 man school now consolidated with Eden.
MillersviewTexasSchool0106STaylor.jpg

MillersviewTexasGymnasium0106STaylor.jpg

Speaking of private school (high schools) playing 6 man football, I understand that St. Mary's School in Fredericksburg, when it operated high school grades (40s, 50s) also played six-man football. The school is now elementary only.

There are quite a number of elementary only Catholic schools playing six-man football; I believe there is a league of about six or eight schools in Houston, Kerrville Notre Dame and San Antonio Holy Name schools also play six-man in our San Antonio area league.

From Doc WeeWee a page from the 1948-49 Megargel yearbook. Note the different schedule the high school and Jr High played. It looks like that year teh high school played a 6 man schedule and the jr high an 11 man schedule.

Attachments

Back