Who could or should add football

D'Hannis and Rocksprings both choose to play 11-man and compete pretty well. I saw Rocksprings play a game this year and think their QB would be an amazing spreadback.

Wheeler - too large of enrollment, won’t go 6-man again
Booker - still too large of an enrollment and want to keep 11-man around
Kelton - too small and basketball only
Texline - location and basketball only
Hartley - basketball only
Fort Elliot - best possibility but with the consolidation of Allison in 2003-2004 they have turned into a basketball only as well.
Pringle-Morse - basketball only

I wish something would change but I wouldn’t get your hopes up anytime soon.

Should Morgan Mill decide to add high school classes to their 130 student (K-8) school they would be an instant six man school since they already play junior high six man. Their southeastern neighboring school district Bluff Dale did the same thing a few years ago.

Is adding HS grades something that is becoming more prevalent in the smaller ISDs? Rather then sending kids on very long bus rides to neighboring districts

they are still to small, but it would be cool to see Valentine, Marathon , and Comstock play
Raider it would be cool to see Marathon back in the mix. But it would be hard to witness the growing pains of getting back to in to playoff status. Just not enough boys and a very poor school district.

Negative there hasnt been any football there since the 2009 season. My oldest boy was a sophomore and was the last to play there.😩

I would love to see some of the teams in our basketball district play football.
Midway (Henrietta) - D2
Prairie Valley - D2
Bellevue - D1
Slidell - D1 (probably will be like us and have to go 11man soon)

Just guessing on what division they would go in.

I believe that being one of the smallest 2A schools is very challenging in all sports.

I am currently at a Fruitvale, who barely went up to 2A this year. Past injuries, especially while playing 11 man in 2A has been a problem.

We are playing an outlaw schedule with 15 players on our roster. The past two weeks we only had 7 players healthy with mostly Freshmen and or players that have never played before this year and we decided not to play vs. Union Hill and Leverett's Chapel.

Last year was the first year in 2 years that Fruitvale had a junior high team and only played three 6 man games. Sitting on the bubble year after year for 2A along with not having a junior high program has caused the program to decline in my opinion.

I am recommending that like Ranger, for Fruitvale to commit to always playing 6 man football, possibly in the TAIAO during years we are 2A. Playing in the TAIAO would at least give the school an opportunity to make the playoffs and players would be able to get selected for all district honors, etc. as opposed to just playing outlaw.

It is very hard on many freshmen to compete vs. juniors and seniors. Even this year playing a 6 man schedule, we have had to start 3 or 4 freshmen in every game and scrimmage and three of them have had major injuries as a result. Part of the problem is the lack of a strong strength and conditioning program in past years. When I took over the program this summer, I called, visited kids, etc. and still could not get them to come work out.

I am also the head boys basketball coach and there are 3 or 4 basketball/baseball kids, who do not play football. If they did, we would be competitive. But, they did not play in junior high, so why start now? I encourage them almost daily to come play football.

I would love to see some of the teams in our basketball district play football.
Midway (Henrietta) - D2
Prairie Valley - D2
Bellevue - D1
Slidell - D1 (probably will be like us and have to go 11man soon)

Just guessing on what division they would go in.
So , St. Jo may go back to 11 man soon?

We had 99 at last check. Terry Bradshaw just moved here. Exposure is at all time high. I’m hoping we can hold off until 2026 or 2028, but it’s coming. Just a matter of time. 😞

Comstock and Knippa are not the only schools to have had tragedy strike their student athletes. Strawn and I believe Gorman have had football players permanently paralyzed from on field accidents. The question is do you let these tragedies determine the future of all the student athletes going forward? That is very short sighted. I also recall a student from Gustine falling out of the back of a pickup on a Ag class related school trip and died years ago. So no more school sponsored field trips? So protect all those students by only playing basketball and buy little Johnny a nice four wheeler or motorcycle for thrills and all is well?
Garden City had one paralyzed in 1969 during a game with Wellman.

Back