Could It Work If Districts Sent 4 Teams To The Playoffs?

This would lead to more schools being embarrassed in their first round games. Watch what happens this year in the first rounds of higher classification schools that carry too many teams into the playoffs. They don't have the 45 point rule, but should.

@Coach Bear What would you like to see and the enrollment split on that?
I don't know it would depend on the numbers I could see mid to high 40s for d3 40s thru 70s d2 70s through 110s d1 something like that.

This is just my personal opinion, but there is just such a high difference between schools in the 30s and 40s vs schools in the high 50s.

But like I said I don't know the logistics of it, with travel and things it could be a much larger headache

The argument can be made is that every other conference and division already lets four in. I understand that there are a lot of bad games first round because of this. I do not see the harm in letting four in. We already do it in basketball and other sports. We also could line up to the rest of the state championship games instead of having a week off right before the biggest game of the year. That is just my opinion. I also understand you will have some four team districts that everyone gets in. I do think it would be a mistake to get rid of DI and DII.

The argument can be made is that every other conference and division already lets four in. I understand that there are a lot of bad games first round because of this. I do not see the harm in letting four in. We already do it in basketball and other sports. We also could line up to the rest of the state championship games instead of having a week off right before the biggest game of the year. That is just my opinion. I also understand you will have some four team districts that everyone gets in. I do think it would be a mistake to get rid of DI and DII.
Also do not want to see them going DI and DII in basketball. Do not think it would be good for the game. Just my opinion.

This would lead to more schools being embarrassed in their first round games. Watch what happens this year in the first rounds of higher classification schools that carry too many teams into the playoffs. They don't have the 45 point rule, but should.
You also could have this happen. Every team in these 2 districts amke the playoffs. district 4 teams.jpg

Basketball is not split in 2 division though.
It probably should be!
Its not fair for schools with 90+ playing small schools with 30
Then there are those schools that don't play football and are in the mix every year in the basketball playoffs. They bounce the round ball all year one way or another.

Round ball scrimmages started October twenty eighth.
Guessing round ball has 2 weeks practice before any scrammages, one week of regular football left. That puts most schools playing football 3 weeks behind non-football schools, each week a football school advances in football playoffs adds another week behind the round ball only schools.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1698867878454.jpg
    FB_IMG_1698867878454.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 18
4 teams would lead to a bunch of really awful teams getting in. We’ve had teams come through that had absolutely no business getting in the playoffs. You see it every year in the bigger classifications. We have been in the same District before as Sterling City, Water Valley and Garden City and guess what…… didn’t make the playoffs. If you want to make the playoffs then get better and earn your spot.

4 teams would lead to a bunch of really awful teams getting in. We’ve had teams come through that had absolutely no business getting in the playoffs. You see it every year in the bigger classifications. We have been in the same District before as Sterling City, Water Valley and Garden City and guess what…… didn’t make the playoffs. If you want to make the playoffs then get better and earn your spot.
Highland, Hermleigh, and Ira are waiting for 2nd spot. All three could be at least 2nd place in the majority of the other district, possibly win it.

Round ball scrimmages started October twenty eighth.
Guessing round ball has 2 weeks practice before any scrammages, one week of regular football left. That puts most schools playing football 3 weeks behind non-football schools, each week a football school advances in football playoffs adds another week behind the round ball only schools.
Well that is not accurate. Those gym Rats at Huckabay, Lipan, Graford ,etc played basketball 24/7. They were shooting hoops while milking the cows. When I was in high school district foes Huckabay, Lipan, and Lingelville(before playing sixman) would have played ten games before we finished football season. We managed to beat Lipan each year but Lingelville and Huckabay were too much.

Well that is not accurate. Those gym Rats at Huckabay, Lipan, Graford ,etc played basketball 24/7. They were shooting hoops while milking the cows. When I was in high school district foes Huckabay, Lipan, and Lingelville(before playing sixman) would have played ten games before we finished football season. We managed to beat Lipan each year but Lingelville and Huckabay were too much.
Back in the early 60’s, we finished football on Friday night and had a basketball game the following Tuesday night. It was always against a non football team that had already played 10 to 12 games. Lots of rules changed over the years. These guys knew they would beat us on the scoreboard but that we would physically give them bruises. Lots of fouls by us. Lots of rules were different back then. Some I still like but made for longer games.

regarding 'bad games' i track every playoff game in a spreadsheet for every division, 6 man and 11 man... last year was the first year I took it over, and D2 week 4 was the largest margin of victory in all the playoffs either division, with an average margin of 47 points. Round 1 of the playoffs, the average margin of victory for D1 was 36, D2 40. So maybe not as bad as you would think, having a 4th team... D1 average winning games by 32 points, D2 by 39 points. It's more the exception to the rule (IMO) to have more super competitive games than blowouts.

Attachments

• stats 1.png
    stats 1.png
    21.6 KB · Views: 13
  • stats 2.png
    stats 2.png
    85.5 KB · Views: 14
  • stats 3.png
    stats 3.png
    29 KB · Views: 12
  • stats 4.png
    stats 4.png
    15.4 KB · Views: 13
Highland, Hermleigh, and Ira are waiting for 2nd spot. All three could be at least 2nd place in the majority of the other district, possibly win it.
I get that, we’ve been in that position ourselves but that’s not the case in most districts. Most districts are not loaded like this one this year.

My dad was the basketball coach at Gordon in that district...he figured out real quick that making the playoffs would be extremely tough.

Every other division in the state also has 15-50+ more schools than either 1A division. The math maths better for them.

regarding 'bad games' i track every playoff game in a spreadsheet for every division, 6 man and 11 man... last year was the first year I took it over, and D2 week 4 was the largest margin of victory in all the playoffs either division, with an average margin of 47 points. Round 1 of the playoffs, the average margin of victory for D1 was 36, D2 40. So maybe not as bad as you would think, having a 4th team... D1 average winning games by 32 points, D2 by 39 points. It's more the exception to the rule (IMO) to have more super competitive games than blowouts.
Pretty cool stuff. Thanks for sharing.

Back