Who could or should add football

If you're worried about injuries and fatalities, maybe you should put the kibosh on cheerleading. As someone once told me, any padding in a cheerleader outfit wasn't put there for safety purposes.

A number of years ago, I did a presentation on starting a six-man football (non-coaching issues) at Temple. Injuries and insurance was one of my major topics. Here's my thinking. I can sell enough BBQ chicken dinners to help a kid hurt with a broken arm. I can't sell enough BBQ chicken dinners to take care of a kid paralyzed during a game. So, you buy insurance (a couple grand when I was doing it) to cover the rare very severe injuries.

Anyway, back to the topic. The morning of my talk, I was reading the Houston newspaper in the hotel. There was the story of the death of a young lady from San Antonio who had gone to college at Prairie View A&M on a cheerleading scholarship. She was permanently paralyzed in an injury in practice and died from complications.

There was a kid paralyzed at San Marcos Baptist playing football about 20 years ago, his dad started a wonderful group called Gridiron Heroes to support players severely injured in football.

Twice in my involvement in six-man football we had to helicopter a kid off the field. Thankfully, in both cases, the young men recovered and were released that night. I know our kid (who is expecting his first child pretty soon) had to go up to Austin. By the time dad and mom got to Austin, he was ready to be released, but his clothes (football uniform) had been cut off him and dad had to go to a nearby Walmart to buy him clothes for the trip home.

As a side note, when I was in pharmaceutical sales in the 80s, Dr. Louis Cartall was one of the doctors I called on in Del Rio.

Back