Who could or should add football

I think the last time Cowboy P asked them, they were still concerned about travel distances and the cost of re-starting the program.
I emailed the AD there and he said they had no plans of starting football in the near future. Them, Leakey, Nueces Canyon, Medina and a couple more would make a cool little district.

I have heard (so it’s a rumor) that Fort Elliot is at least thinking about bringing back football in 2 years. That would be good for the panhandle teams

I emailed the AD there and he said they had no plans of starting football in the near future. Them, Leakey, Nueces Canyon, Medina and a couple more would make a cool little district.
That would get the old 8 man district back together, except for La Pryor, Center Point, and Harper, that Knippa last played in. I doubt those three will ever go back to 6 man. Harper is 2A D1, while Center Point and La Pryor are 2A D2.

My opinion, any 1A school that plays 11 man is just wanting to get beat. Some of these schools play decent for a year or two and then have a couple of years of 0-10 & 1-9. You can’t compete consistently in 11 man with these 80 - 90 kids or less in high school. There are some 1A schools with 100 kids that need to try 6 man. Hope everyone is warm and dry and come on August 25th.

Last edited:
I have heard close to a million to start, especially if you have to build a new field.
What about a school that has the facilities, field, but needs new equipment? Jerseys, pads, helmets etc... What about a private school that wants to start football but doesnt have a field but will travel/make-do?
Gas prices too, those West Texas teams and Burkeville/High Island district will be extremely expensive drives!

What about a school that has the facilities, field, but needs new equipment? Jerseys, pads, helmets etc... What about a private school that wants to start football but doesnt have a field but will travel/make-do?
Gas prices too, those West Texas teams and Burkeville/High Island district will be extremely expensive drives!
My opinion, if a school wants to play football they can start out with a plan to implement stadium seating, concession building and field house over a few years, depending on their budget and donated help but get the team playing. So if the administration/school board throws out the million dollar price tag at the first suggestion they are just saying no to begin with until the parents get involved.

Necroposting here but reading about Marathon got me being very nostalgic on this Friday afternoon. Reading that 2007 was their last game is so sad.

Knippa played 8 man until 1976, Everyone went 11 man in that district that year. KNippa was too small to go 11 man and there were no 6 man schools within a reasonable distance, so they dropped football. I had found records of them playing 6 man from 1948 to 1960 then 8 man until 1976. I kept hearing rumors about both Knippa and Tilden were thinking about picking up football again in recent years, but nothing ever happened,
I was told by the Knippa AD that they had NO plans of picking up football in the near future.

Back