Who could or should add football

Comstock and Knippa are not the only schools to have had tragedy strike their student athletes. Strawn and I believe Gorman have had football players permanently paralyzed from on field accidents. The question is do you let these tragedies determine the future of all the student athletes going forward? That is very short sighted. I also recall a student from Gustine falling out of the back of a pickup on a Ag class related school trip and died years ago. So no more school sponsored field trips? So protect all those students by only playing basketball and buy little Johnny a nice four wheeler or motorcycle for thrills and all is well?
Folks are just discussing history. Why are you always looking for an argument? And no need to reply because I will not give you one.

While SimplyPut put it pretty well in simple terms, pun intended, the reason schools have schoolboards is to reflect the will of the people who live in a particular school district. I think, more than ever, we need people on the school boards across the country to step up on other and more important issues, whether they play football or not. Basically, more than ever, we should respect the power of school boards.

Sort of in the same area as Comstock, Knippa had a kid get struck by lightning and die like in the 1940s. They dropped football afterwards and will probably never play again.
Knippa played 8 man until 1976, Everyone went 11 man in that district that year. KNippa was too small to go 11 man and there were no 6 man schools within a reasonable distance, so they dropped football. I had found records of them playing 6 man from 1948 to 1960 then 8 man until 1976. I kept hearing rumors about both Knippa and Tilden were thinking about picking up football again in recent years, but nothing ever happened,

Comstock and Knippa are not the only schools to have had tragedy strike their student athletes. Strawn and I believe Gorman have had football players permanently paralyzed from on field accidents. The question is do you let these tragedies determine the future of all the student athletes going forward? That is very short sighted. I also recall a student from Gustine falling out of the back of a pickup on a Ag class related school trip and died years ago. So no more school sponsored field trips? So protect all those students by only playing basketball and buy little Johnny a nice four wheeler or motorcycle for thrills and all is well?
Garden City had a star football player break his neck in a game in 1969 and was paralyzed for life after that, It dang near destroyed football there. As it was it took almost 20 years before they got good participation again.

Last edited:
Folks are just discussing history. Why are you always looking for an argument? And no need to reply because I will not give you one. Basically I just wanted to point out you are a turd.
You are a special case obviously. Have a firm grasp of a key board and a small portion of the English langauge.

While SimplyPut put it pretty well in simple terms, pun intended, the reason schools have schoolboards is to reflect the will of the people who live in a particular school district. I think, more than ever, we need people on the school boards across the country to step up on other and more important issues, whether they play football or not. Basically, more than ever, we should respect the power of school boards.
Tebow you obviously feel like you know the politics of most school boards? A lot of small districts elect and re elect the same people for school boards as an on going habit. It's a situation similar to how Biden always represented Delaware in the Senate for 35 years. People either don't vote at all or the people that do vote, vote for the same guy or group every time. Little changes over time. Same issues persist. Tell us more about TE while you are at it.

Tebow you obviously feel like you know the politics of most school boards? A lot of small districts elect and re elect the same people for school boards as an on going habit. It's a situation similar to how Biden always represented Delaware in the Senate for 35 years. People either don't vote at all or the people that do vote, vote for the same guy or group every time. Little changes over time. Same issues persist. Tell us more about TE while you are at it.
I would hardly equate voting for Biden to not wanting to play football.

Do politics ever get old to y’all? Jeez

Panhandle doesn’t have many options besides Booker unless Shamrocks numbers drop again. I know Skellytown won’t ever have their own HS so that is out of the picture. And Pringle-Morse could’ve used to play (not sure of their enrollment but they don’t have a Hs either).

The others won’t play since they are basketball only. Hartley, Adrian, Channing, Texline, and if Boys Ranch would or could that would change the landscape and help tons with travel. But not going to happen imo

Do politics ever get old to y’all? Jeez

Panhandle doesn’t have many options besides Booker unless Shamrocks numbers drop again. I know Skellytown won’t ever have their own HS so that is out of the picture. And Pringle-Morse could’ve used to play (not sure of their enrollment but they don’t have a Hs either).

The others won’t play since they are basketball only. Hartley, Adrian, Channing, Texline, and if Boys Ranch would or could that would change the landscape and help tons with travel. But not going to happen imo
Adrian, Channing and Texline used to play football. Texline stopped in 1988, Channing in 1959, Adrian in 1945, Pringle-Morse has never played football, but when Morse still was a separate school, they played until 1968

Another school that would be a good six-man candidate is Tilden-McMullen (South Texas). I know there were some parents that wanted to start the game a number of years ago and I was invited to meet with them and appear before their school board, but nothing came of it. The school (in the Eagle Ford oil patch) already had a track stadium that could be easily converted and one of the things the proponents were noting was that traveling would be shorter than all the basketball team trips. They'd be able to fill their non-conference schedule with San Antonio and Corpus Christi area private school teams. Afterwards, one of the parents told me that the school board said it would cost $1,000,000 to buy equipment and renovate the stadium for six-man football. I told them to give me a contract for $900,000 and I'd make a healthy profit.

Another school that would be a good six-man candidate is Tilden-McMullen (South Texas). I know there were some parents that wanted to start the game a number of years ago and I was invited to meet with them and appear before their school board, but nothing came of it. The school (in the Eagle Ford oil patch) already had a track stadium that could be easily converted and one of the things the proponents were noting was that traveling would be shorter than all the basketball team trips. They'd be able to fill their non-conference schedule with San Antonio and Corpus Christi area private school teams. Afterwards, one of the parents told me that the school board said it would cost $1,000,000 to buy equipment and renovate the stadium for six-man football. I told them to give me a contract for $900,000 and I'd make a healthy profit.
Small town school boards avoid increasing taxes period. Most the taxes come from the large landowners mainly ranches and farms since most communities have no taxable industry other than small retail( grocery, gas stations, etc). Residential property(which is very small) is taxed at a much higher rate because the ranches and farms are protected somewhat by the Ag value designation. Most school boards are comprised of the local ranch and farm owners. Do they raise taxes on themselves?

Back