When will we have Football?

To FCSA, it sounds like you did start "at the top" digging ditches and then worked your way down!
I can't remember all the "jobs" I have had from the time I was about 13 until I retired at 65. And digging ditches was one of the many.
I was in the original lottery for the draft. That is about the only lottery I ever won. My number was 18. FCSA I like others will say "thank you for your service to your (and mine) country. I ended up joining the National Guard since I was 6 hours short of graduation when my 4 year deferment expired.
Did get that degree but missed graduation because I in AIT at Fort Sill in May of that year.
And to others on the site that may have served "thank you" to each one of you.

Well older goat we must be pretty close to the same age, at age 8 I started working at Mrs. Breedings’ Working Mans Cafe and Hotel, cleaning tables and washing dishes. (Had to stand on a stool to reach the sink). At age 12 I ran a full service gas station by myself, by age 14, I handled the night bank deposits and all. At 14 I got my first bank loan without a co-signer. At 16 I had a commercial drivers license driving a lumber truck from the Port of Corpus Christi delivering to lumber yards in the area. I also had a Rock and Roll, Soul and Blues band that played all over south Texas. I’ll be 71 in August with no retirement in sight as I have a Freshman in College that plans to get his MBA at TCU once he finishes his Bachelors.
Yes I’ve had a lot of jobs. I’ve lived, worked, traveled and served in many areas of the world. Took me 10 years of blood, sweat and tears to get my Bachelors and now have over 200 semester hours in total.
What is the ONE THING THAT ALL OF THIS HAS TAUGHT ME ?
We live in the Absolute Best Country in the World!
Anyone, despite their beginnings can overcome as long as they keep working. I’ve lived and worked in countries with a Classist Society, and a racist society, and as much as is pains me to say it, a person has a better chance to advance in the latter as opposed to the former.
Fire away!

The UIL is going to have to make a very difficult decision and soon. I did read that they are going to allow schools whose students are learning remotely to play sports. That is great for six man schools which are located in rural areas where covid-19 numbers are extremely small! Even if say Follett ISD decides to continue with online learning, that means athletics will be allowed to go ahead. Even a district only schedule will at least allow seniors to have their season and for small towns to have some semblance of normalcy in completely chaotic times!

Topher you contradict yourself. You say it’s a good thing that the UIL will allow students to isolate by continuing distance learning but will also allow them to mingle with others in contact sports.
How does this help contain the virus the world is so concerned about?

smokeyjoe53":zg76wvbg said:
Topher you contradict yourself. You say it’s a good thing that the UIL will allow students to isolate by continuing distance learning but will also allow them to mingle with others in contact sports.
How does this help contain the virus the world is so concerned about?

I didn't say that was my opinion, I'm merely stating facts. Everyone on here knows that six man towns revolve around the school.

FSCA didn't see you post until today. Will be 72 in August. Did the dish washer / Bus boy thing when I was 14. Before that went to cotton fields and sold cokes to our hands while they pulled cotton bolls (before all the new fangled equipment was invented). And walked many a mile carrying a hoe cutting weeds out of the fields. That was before I was old enough to drive a tractor. Can for sure relate to the many jobs. Lucky not to have any still in college. My two are out and no student loans either. Do still do a little part time work but that is mostly to support my golf.

I understand that district games are all the count when playoff season rolls around. But as a player, or coach, you are looking at two weeks of 2-a-days with scrimmage at the end of that. Then another week of practice for your 2nd scrimmage. And if you are not playing non-district games probably will not play scrimmage either. Then you have week 1 thru 8 of practice only. No games no nothing to get ready for your 3 game season. So now you have had 10-11 weeks of practice for those 3 games.
If basketball is a possibility I'm not sure how many kids will buy into football this year. Might as well focus on Basketball.
Just saying.

Older goat, you are right. I’ve already had parents tell me if there is no classroom teaching then their son ain’t playing football. One or two more of those and we are done. Not enough players, but enough for basketball.

If there is no season this year, it concerns me that the kids may lose interest altogether and not want to return to play next year.

JasonTX":2h4chlwq said:
If there is no season this year, it concerns me that the kids may lose interest altogether and not want to return to play next year.

You make a valid point, students finding interests elsewhere and not necessarily productive ones either :( Maybe schools affected could introduce or, if already established, ramp up their intramural sports to avoid such a situation? That is if intramurals would be okay to run? I don't know.... but thank you JasonTX, great point!

Its not happening this fall. The sooner we realize that the sooner you can make plans for what this athletics season will look like. Austin, Houston, El Paso, Laredo, Ft. Bend all delaying or pushing back the start date.

I just got off of a video conference and about one hour ago from the time of this post, the UIL plans on practices starting on August 3 with a full season if teams desire to do so. This is from a direct source. As with anything, plans can always change but at this very moment the plan is to move forward.

Right now the UIL is in the process of gathering the teams who do want to opt out and I expect that would be for the purposes of determining playoffs.

Now for my own opinion: I do not expect the UIL wants to be the "bad guy" and cancel football or reduce the number of games. Any changes or cancellations would come from a directive from the TEA or the Governor. I've said this before. This is Texas and football is still the king. I believe if there was a game being played in Texas that Jesus would have to wait for the game to be over before the second coming.

I certainly hope everyone plays. I would guess Houston, San Antonio and Dallas ISDs
will want to drag their heels. Heard El Paso was delaying their start.

Any of the big cities will opt out.... almost 10,000 cases today and 139 dead in Texas. Small towns are seemingly unaffected so far so I can see them going ahead with a full season.

JasonTX":1v87krv2 said:
I just got off of a video conference and about one hour ago from the time of this post, the UIL plans on practices starting on August 3 with a full season if teams desire to do so. This is from a direct source. As with anything, plans can always change but at this very moment the plan is to move forward.

Right now the UIL is in the process of gathering the teams who do want to opt out and I expect that would be for the purposes of determining playoffs.

Now for my own opinion: I do not expect the UIL wants to be the "bad guy" and cancel football or reduce the number of games. Any changes or cancellations would come from a directive from the TEA or the Governor. I've said this before. This is Texas and football is still the king. I believe if there was a game being played in Texas that Jesus would have to wait for the game to be over before the second coming.

Very interesting since TAPPS is going District Only and not starting until after 9/8. I would have thought that TAPPS had formulated their plan based upon discussions with UIL. Anyway we will see, hopefully soon.

I know UIL can and will do whatever they want with the season. But if they went to District games only they will be teams starting games in week 5 of the season. Some districts have 8 teams and that means 7 games. While other districts in same division my only have 4 teams and start district in week 9. Yes that is 11-man but should still be taken into account.
I do not know the answer but there seems to be a lot of problems with a District only schedule for UIL.

One thing that Morath and TEA has said numerous times in his bi-weekly meetings is that he is not touching Athletics at all. If it was up to him we would be doing all extracurricular activities outside of the school day. This is all just surreal.

Some numbers to follow up my other post
3A - Div 1 - Dist 2 - 5 Teams
Dist 9 - 8 Teams

4A - Div 1 Dist 1 - 5 Teams
Dist 2 - 4 Teams
Dist 3 - 5 Teams
Dist 4 - 6 Teams
Dist 5 - 6 Teams
Dist 6 - 8 Teams

5A - Div 1 Dist 1 - 4 Teams
Dist 3 - 8 Teams
Dist 13 - 9 Teams
Dist 15 - 9 Teams
Dist 16 - 10 Teams

Yes I know in our 6-man world most of the Districts have 4 teams and that would be a 3 game season for almost everyone. But in the 11-man world I think it would be a Cluster (you know what) to try to do a district only season. Good luck UIL. And I hope the stand by starting Aug 3 and don't back down even one inch from having a full season. And once it starts you let it run all the way to AT&T th.
e final weekend

oldergoat":3rimrn6j said:
Some numbers to follow up my other post
3A - Div 1 - Dist 2 - 5 Teams
Dist 9 - 8 Teams

4A - Div 1 Dist 1 - 5 Teams
Dist 2 - 4 Teams
Dist 3 - 5 Teams
Dist 4 - 6 Teams
Dist 5 - 6 Teams
Dist 6 - 8 Teams

5A - Div 1 Dist 1 - 4 Teams
Dist 3 - 8 Teams
Dist 13 - 9 Teams
Dist 15 - 9 Teams
Dist 16 - 10 Teams

Yes I know in our 6-man world most of the Districts have 4 teams and that would be a 3 game season for almost everyone. But in the 11-man world I think it would be a Cluster (you know what) to try to do a district only season. Good luck UIL. And I hope the stand by starting Aug 3 and don't back down even one inch from having a full season. And once it starts you let it run all the way to AT&T th.
e final weekend

You said it perfectly goat... a cluster (you know what).... holy moly. What a bloody mess the UIL will have on its hands should it decide to go down this road...

Back