Seguin vs Baytown

These two schools have never played before. Hence the sportswriter has only good information for his team and only assumption about what Baytown will bring. Both solid teams with good history on both sides. Baytown has advanced each year for the past four years in D1 playoff competition and has moved down two clicks to D3. There you go, story finished.
Should be a decent game if Seguin's players show up off the disabled list.

Halfway thru the 1st ... Baytown 13, Lifegate 0 and Baytown just recovered an onside. Lifegate has had 2 off.plays, one an int. 3 Lifegate players did not make the trip.
As i write this 21 of Baytown just scored. 21-0 Baytown

Baytown has advances past last year result. Good for them. Didn't see this being a 45. Congratulations to Seguin and best of luck to Baytown.

Total domination by Baytown and this result had very little to do with injuries or suspensions. Baytown developed a scheme to shutdown the Seguin spread offense and it worked perfectly. Offensively, they just could not matchup to the overall speed and strength of Baytown. Seguin played their hearts out but this one was Baytown all the way!

GeauxTigers":37pf2hs3 said:
Total domination by Baytown and this result had very little to do with injuries or suspensions. Baytown developed a scheme to shutdown the Seguin spread offense and it worked perfectly. Offensively, they just could not matchup to the overall speed and strength of Baytown. Seguin played their hearts out but this one was Baytown all the way!

Not to take anything away from Baytown. I'm sure they deserved the win. I'm just wondering if the rumors both on these boards and Twitter were true...that Seguin was missing three starters? If true, you can't tell me that didn't play a somewhat of a role in the outcome of this game.

Yes I agree those two missing starters (#18 and #23) would have helped to make it a tighter game--but those two players would not have made up for the 45 pt. margin. The bottom line is that #31 is who makes their offense click and Baytown executed a scheme to squeeze him in the backfield and to limit the positive plays to the upback. But I'm sure these two teams might meet again next year and Seguin will be looking for revenge. They are a classy team with a great tradition.

I disagree with your analysis on the affects of two missing players that obviously make your team click. Been there done that. Two players is 1/3 of an offense and 1/3 of a defense. It goes both ways.
Two players can EASILY score 20-25 pts and two players can prevent 20- 25 pts.
Baytown won the game fair and square. Congrats to their team.

Baytown kicked butt from start to finish. 21-0 and Lifegate had had only two offensive plays, one an interception on a turnover. They may have won even if Lifegate had brought over a couple of Aggies from across town.

Except for some penalties, I thought midway through the first quarter we'd all be leaving by halftime. But Lifegate held on but just couldn't stop Baytown defensively. Lifegate would score, Baytown would score twice. Even a poor math student like me could figure out how that was going to work out.

The loss of two key starters did affect Lifegate; it allowed Baytown to focus on Caden (31) and no one was really able to step up and fill their shoes. There are some young men who made some bad choices and are going to have to realize that they let their teammates and coaches down. I'm not sure that's a legacy I would want to leave as seniors.

SicEm74":2cenqi0h said:
You say some kids made some bad decisions, what decisions were made?

I think that's an issue for the school administration to make. Normally, you would not expect any school to issue a public statement of any disciplinary actions. Let's just say many of us made bad decisions in our youth as well. Cripes, I know I did.

As mentioned earlier, even with their regular starters available the outcome would have been very similar--for one reason: the defensive scheme. Here's one part of that scheme that I noticed while watching the game: usually, when the defense releases one or both of those upbacks, #31 would dump it off to them and they would have wide open space in front of them to make huge gains. Anyone who saw the San Marcos game would have seen this in action. In that game, the upback dump-offs were averaging 15 to 20 yards per play. The reason that play "usually" works so well is because the defense usually play their corners man-to-man vs. the Seguin WRs. Baytown didn't do that. Instead, the Baytown corners allowed the WRs to run "free" down the field, "gambling" that their safety (#21) would be able to Roll his coverage to playside, thus allowing the playside corner to cover the upback dump-off. This is exactly how Baytown intercepted the first pass of the game--Seguin was not expecting there to be a defender playing on the upback once he was released. For the remainder of the game, the upbacks "heard footsteps" and were never able to establish a rhythm. This scheme would have worked no matter who started or didn't start. Also, Baytown inserted a SPY (#7) on #31 and his job was to "contain" #31 and squeeze him which resulted in very limited yardage. In my opinion, if other teams can get their hands on this game film, they will see a "recipe" for stopping the Seguin-style spread offense (or at least slowing it down). And yes, it was a risky defense because the WR opposite of the play was allowed to run FREE the whole night and fortunately for Baytown, Seguin never tried to exploit it. It was a fun game to watch as a fan and I'm glad I attended. So bottom line: the defensive scheme did the trick in limiting their offense.

freeagent":kfbgng98 said:
SicEm74":kfbgng98 said:
You say some kids made some bad decisions, what decisions were made?

I think that's an issue for the school administration to make. Normally, you would not expect any school to issue a public statement of any disciplinary actions. Let's just say many of us made bad decisions in our youth as well. Cripes, I know I did.

I was thinking we were speaking on in-game decision. I too was curious as to what was the situation a out players missing the game but in this case I was thinking in-game decisions.

Simple misunderstanding.

Some of you, especially Baytown fans, are delusional. The outcome of this game would have been totally different with Seguin's two studs playing. Remember, that's a third of the team! Within any team you have your play makers, your roll players and then possibly someone you are trying to hide (not so easy in sixman). The two suspended Seguin players were play makers on both sides of the ball. Their presence on the field allowed the roll players to play up, play with confidence and make a difference. Without them roll players had to try to step up which is/was difficult since they had not been in the position all season (at least against a quality team). It also forced more roll players or young and inexperienced players onto the field. Not an ideal situation.

What if you took #21 and #7 away from Baytown? It'd be a totally different team, yes? I suspect it would have been a close, dogfight game, with all athletes participating.

I feel sorry for Coach Rabon and the rest of the Falcons. To go through the season and then be let down at the most critical time by two guys that were supposed to be your leaders. That's gotta hurt.

Pup, you are correct, in sixman football ONE key person lost for whatever reason can make a huge difference, much less two. If "someone" thinks that those two not playing made no difference, they are delusional or certifiable. I love it when people are totally behind their team, love their team and think their team is the best, but statements like this make me think some people are blinded by that love.

Baytown would have still won without 21 and 7. Yea Right.

Good luck to all this week

Did either of you attend the game? It was a very well executed game plan. Baytown did not even bother to cover the deep receivers. They had 1 safety deep that covered it all. Safety got beat once on a hallmark that the safety barely missed. The qb had no time to throw the ball. Their front 3 put way too much pressure on him. Both up backs got crushed when they caught the dump passes and both the kids that were out were up backs. Baytown had their hard hitting db's waiting on the dump no matter which kid was there. Loved to have seen how #18 handled getting hit. He's a good solid player.
Everyones down on Baytown but they earned where they are standing right now. 12-0 must be doing something right. Good luck to Baytown and good luck to Seguin as they rebuild for next year.

Back