Rumor?

I see where WV has announced the head football coaching vacancy. I don't know what's going on out there but I thought Owens was a damn good coach. I wish him luck wherever he ends up.

Was messaged by a WV patron that those numbers inlude two campuses and that the main campus was less.
Still adds up to a hundred and means that next year they will play 6 man with 109.

Region: 15 County: TOM GREEN COUNTY District: WATER VALLEY ISD (226905) Campus: WATER VALLEY H S (226905001)

Grade Level Student Count

Seventh Grade 28
Eighth Grade 24
Ninth Grade 26
Sophomore Year 28
Junior Year 31
Senior Year 15

I am incorrect, but do they not have to count the State school or whatever it is at Carlsbad? I heard that was the basis of the waiver, but hey could be wrong. Have been before.

That's pretty clever West Texas Sixmaner, you write your own jokes or do you contract that out?

There seems to be lots of preoccupation with the number of students at WV. I don't know how they count 'em up but I know WV is playing 6-man for the next two years at least and I'd like to see that continue. We went the 11-man route for awhile without too much success - matter of fact, we got the $h!t kicked out of us pretty regularly - so I'd just as soon stay 6-man if it's all the same to y'all.

Not saying that this is true, but a friend in the Valley said that current coach was tired of "basketball first" attitude. Not sure I get that since the boys BB team stumbled in Abilene...maybe the VB girls could give some lessons in how to get over the hump....just sayin'.

6mansam":27bzt8s1 said:
Was messaged by a WV patron that those numbers inlude two campuses and that the main campus was less.
Still adds up to a hundred and means that next year they will play 6 man with 109.

Region: 15 County: TOM GREEN COUNTY District: WATER VALLEY ISD (226905) Campus: WATER VALLEY H S (226905001)

Grade Level Student Count

Seventh Grade 28
Eighth Grade 24
Ninth Grade 26
Sophomore Year 28
Junior Year 31
Senior Year 15

Looks like the Angelo refugees will put them over the magic 99.5 number by the next count.

West Texas Sixmaner":1w3jjfhm said:
Not saying that this is true, but a friend in the Valley said that current coach was tired of "basketball first" attitude. Not sure I get that since the boys BB team stumbled in Abilene...maybe the VB girls could give some lessons in how to get over the hump....just sayin'.
Actually,
it was mentioned
last year,
that WV was going BB school
cuz of the new Admin. and their kids.
Can't say he wasn't warned.

It is my understanding that coach Owens family is doing poorly and he is leaving to be closer to family and take care of family business. Just what I was told. The best way to know is call coach Owens and ask him.

I heard the same thing LeeMac, but it wasn't from the most reliable source so I chalked it up as small-town speculation. As for the WV being a "basketball school"... they are coming off of their best year ever in football (having been ranked high most of the year and winning a playoff game). They didn't get as far as we had hoped (and many mouthy WV fans predicted) but they still did pretty well and I'm sure there are a number of programs that would have traded seasons with them. I wouldn't count them out as a "football school" just yet. There are some big holes to fill - especially at the Head Coaching position - but I like their chances for a successful season next year. Now, if we end up going back to 11-man in a couple of years... well, let's just say I'm not quite as confident.

6mansam":32ms3wr6 said:
Never really thought of wv as a basketball school. Have they ever made it to the drum?

They were back in the early to mid 70's. From what I heard from some who went there, football was used to get in shape for basketball.

Just from what I am seeing, it might be lack of money that decides what sports schools participate in. Times are tough right now. I am glad I am not a school board member. But, as my wife is a teacher, I see the daily stress she goes through at this time. No one knows what they will be teaching or if they are job hunting next year.

Can't say, OBK. I didn't get there until '78 but we had a pretty decent team in '79 and made the playoffs in '80. Lost in Bi-District to Santa Anna 51-50.

From what I saw and heard they had a couple of decent teams in the late 60's, but from what I saw back in the day, most of the boys preferred basketball.

High Plains Drifter":1j4jz8m1 said:
kind of makes you wonder, huh?

Giorgio_Tsoukalos.jpg

Back