Richland Springs Coyotes. The run is over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

B6MF

Six-man fan
It had to come to an end eventually. It was a great run. Is anyone surprised by this.

The run was fun and it was a long, strong run. First game lost since November 14, 2008. The coyotes will be back. We Coyote fans will not desert our team. Some of us bleed blue blood and did before this run began; a loss wont change that.

Was watching the end of Fox Sports SW last night on their scoreboard show. They were making a big deal out of last years state champs who had lost their first game this year. They had Throckmorton losing 46 to 0 instead of winning.

B6MF":3id8kgso said:
It had to come to an end eventually. It was a great run. Is anyone surprised by this.

Not at all, most HS football is a matter of streaks. Some of the larger 3A, 4A, 5A schools can reload, in 6 man you dont. RS was lucky enough to have a few years of a few real good athletes. Throck, Valley, WV, GC, ect will always be up be down. Truth is a coach is no different than a poker player, he may be a good bluffer but he has to lay down what he is dealt in the end. 1 senior, 1 junior, 1 soph, 8 freshmen you anit gonna win many. Yes we saw this coming, to you that hoped RS would lose for the betterment of 6 man, congrads on that dumb idea. Congrads to the May Tigers on your win, but you know you only beat the SHELL of the old Coyotes. SIC 'EM COYOTES. I will say this, i'm bettin' ya'll aint gonna see another run like that by any team in Texas for 50 years........

I had no hopes that r.s. would loose. If they kept putting in the effort, and earning their wins, then they deserved it. With all those freshmen and that super sophomore the coyotes may be back soon.

Congrats to the Coyotes on the run. It was going to end some day ... all winning (and losing) streaks do.

Reminds me of an instance about seven years ago. My old friend Tim Shipman at Freddy Heritage had a 36 game winning streak broke the week before we (Seguin Lifegate) had them on the schedule.

Before the game, I tell Tim I don't know what's worse. Playing a team on a 37 game winning streak or playing a team who just had a 36 game winning streak broken. Something tells me I don't want to be the next game on the Coyotes' schedule. Although it is a young team, it is a team from a community that has been supportive and encouraging victory.

Had a chat with a friend who coaches in public school 11 man and he talked about how when a community supports its team, congratulates them on wins, stands behind them when they do lose and uplifts the young men, they learn to expect victory and walk on the field planning to win. Reminds me a lot of what Richland Springs has done in the past ten years or so. I doubt anybody is penciling them in as an 0-10 squad this year, even with a lot of freshmen.

By the way, we lost that game 30-16. Heritage won the game on three plays. Still sticks in our craw, even after beating them four of the past five times, including a win for the state title this year.

Speaking of winning streaks, with the loss by Richland Springs, who now holds the current consecutive wins streak?

Stephenville Faith Home School, a two-time TCAL champion also lost this week. Both the UIL D1 and TAPPS D1 champions, Throckmorton and Dallas Covenant won, but both had losses last year (Throckmorton to Covenant during the season, Covenant to Abbott in an early game last year), so I'm going next to the TAPPS D2 champion, Seguin Lifegate, who won 14-0 last year and the opener this year for a fifteen game winning streak (last loss to finish 2011 season in playoffs).

Any nominations to beat that number? Again, the determination is that it must be a current streak ...

The last Richland post nearly got me hung on a certain other topic. However, I know how much it hurts the kids to loose these games. In 6man towns, they carry the weight of s small town's pride on their back.

Keep your heads up guys. Wins come with effort and heartache. I hope y'all put out a whole lot of the first, and don't get too much of the second.

In reply to Mr. Don Hardin's post last year about how the Coyotes could win with just a few players, I said that if Coaches Burkhart and Rogers had 6 warm bodies, that they could play with just about any team.

I think that on last Friday, they just ran out of warm bodies. A valiant effort, but short on players.

Congratulations on the run Coyotes. Here is what I found for the last 10 years:
10-0 2003 10-0 2004 10-0 2005 10-0 2006 9-0 2007 9-0 2008 10-0 2009 9-1 2010 10-0 2011 10-0 2012
A regular season record of 97-1 in this 10 year period and 9 undefeated regular seasons.
2003 13-1
2004 15-0
2005 13-1
2006 14-0
2007 14-0
2008 10-1
2009 11-2
2010 15-0
2011 15-0
2012 15-0
135-5 over ten years with 6 state champiosnships

Or as Vince Lombardi was reputed to have said, we didn't lose, we just ran out of time.

I'm just not ready to toss dirt on the RS grave just yet. In fact if and when I go to the funeral, I'm going to stick around and be sure the RS dynasty actually stays there. This could end like "Carrie".

They will probably be like O'Brien. The only way their winning ways stopped was when the school died.

Coach Burkhart has never be an assistant at RS. His 1st year on campus was 2003.

1st of all, Congrats to May on a GREAT victory! The Tigers played hard and beat the Coyotes fair & square and deserve all the credit! They have kicked the Coyotes from off of the top of the hill (for now).

2nd of all, the title to this topic should read..............Richland Springs Coyotes. A few streaks are over.
I'm just telling you bone heads out there & giving you a fair warning.......... "THE BEST IS YET TO COME!"
Once IT starts happing again, no crying will be allowed!

Another streak that the Tigers stopped the other night was .............. "Home winning streak".
The streak was 64 straight home wins.........................that dated back to Oct. 26th, 2001. The loss was to Panther Creek (62-38).
Just shy of 13 years without a loss at Coyote Field!

Three streaks that are still alive and well are:
> 53 straight District wins..............this record also dates back to Oct. 26th, 2001. The loss was to Panther Creek (62-38).
> 11 straight District Championships.
> 15 straight playoff wins.

But really............. who's counting?

Oh and by the way, Coach Burkhart's head coaching record at RS fell to 135 wins and 6 losses! Yikes, not good!
Just dawned on me also,............... he now has as many losses as he does State Championship wins!

I'm glad RS lost.

Not because of the kids. They played their best but came up short - just like 97.8% of all 6-man teams do at least once per season.

I hope the loss will shut the idiot RS fanboy posters up. So your foster-care recruiting system failed. Spare me the histrionics. No ring this year means you will need to double down on recruiting next year. You will be back on top soon enough.

What took you so long? I figured you'd been foamin' at the mouth since Friday night. Been celebrating since then?

This maybe hard for some people to do, most of all Richland Spring's folk who forgot what losing feels like, but let us compare May and Richland without remembering the history of all of it. In fact, I am almost tempted to put the name of a random DII school in the area in place of Richland, Brookesmith, Lohn, Mullin, or Cherokee, take your pick, but that might confuse some people.

May:
Enrollment - 69
Division - 1
Location - Twenty miles north of Brownwood (population around 20,000)

Richland Springs:
Enrollment - 48
Division - 2
Location - Fifteen miles west of San Saba (population around 3,000)

It seems like people do not realize how much difference division I and division II make. May's Enrollment Number dwarfs Richland's by a little over 30%. Now I am not defending Richland Springs and definitely not putting May down, but Richland could still win the state championship, playing against division II opponents, and never see May again. I am not sure of the talent level Richland possesses at this point because I did not see the game, but the run may not be over. Coach Burkhart possesses a ridiculous record and I think this year will test his coaching abilities more than any other. Would going 8-2, 7-3, or 6-4, making the playoffs, and losing in the second or third round "end the run?" With all due respect to them, I honestly do not feel like these last few DII Richland state teams could have won the DI state title. Basically, I am asking what constitutes "the run?" I know Richland downgraded in talent after 07 when TE and his group left, but going to DII sort of hid that fact. Basically, I bet anyone a milk shake that Richland makes the playoffs and I would contend that they "keep the run going" by doing that.

Richland Springs work ethic and success has made a lot of haters!
Just want to go on record here. They made me a fan. How can you not respect it? I do not believe the run is over at all. Maybe down, not out! And even if the season doesn't hold in store what has became business as normal, LOOKOUT! What do you haters think Burkhart is going to do with 8 freshman?
Hint: Turn them into State Champions!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back