Rankings

Garrett2810

11-man fan
I'm not sure how the rankings are picked and I also know you can't judge a team by it's ranking when injuries and things factor in but how is Mullin still ranked over Oglesby after getting dominated at home by the Tigers?

Agreed. That will work itself out. Yes, Mullin is still ahead. I am guessing they won't be next week. As you can see, there is a limit to how much the teams can move per week. Mullin was being 'pulled up' by virtue of their win over Whitharral, despite their loss. As you can see, the gap between the teams has changed dramatically...

That's what I figured. D2 district 14 is looking tough with 4 undefeated teams. October 10th should be the game of the week Jonesboro at Oglesby!

I am a math guy so I understand the toy but one thing I am not sure about. Does it take in to account when a game ends? If it ends at half or 2 min to go in the fourth? Still a 45 point spread but a big difference to me. I am thinking somehow it does because Ropes 45'd Naz and Naz moved up a few points even though the spread was 45 but it ended in the fourth. Their district better watch out I think they could cause some problems. Very much improved team this year.

Chap_24":279vm9gn said:
I am a math guy so I understand the toy but one thing I am not sure about. Does it take in to account when a game ends? If it ends at half or 2 min to go in the fourth? Still a 45 point spread but a big difference to me. I am thinking somehow it does because Ropes 45'd Naz and Naz moved up a few points even though the spread was 45 but it ended in the fourth. Their district better watch out I think they could cause some problems. Very much improved team this year.

Do you have when the game ended for all 450+ games? Nobody does, so it is not a factor. That is one of the problems. You can only use what you can get. And honestly, in six-man there are schools that will not 45 a team before halftime, especially on home games. They want the concession revenue... I kid you not.

Ok thanks I didn't think there was a mathematical way to add that in but was just curios. And yes I know people hold off on ended the game for various reasons. I coach so I know exactly what you mean.

granger":223nosg8 said:
Chap_24":223nosg8 said:

Do you have when the game ended for all 450+ games? Nobody does, so it is not a factor. That is one of the problems. You can only use what you can get. And honestly, in six-man there are schools that will not 45 a team before halftime, especially on home games. They want the concession revenue... I kid you not.
I'm sorry but any coach that would keep their players on the field any longer than what it takes to put a team away no matter what quarter it is in order to make more money on concessions, is not after a championship nor does he value his players.

Bcpowder:

You need to take into consideration that many teams do not have a JV squad. I for one want all of my kids to play whenever I can get them in a game. If I 45 someone with my younger group so be it, but what if they don't? Just because I didn't 45 a team when I "could have" does not mean I don't want championships, it means I am preparing for the future.

Bcpowder":dhr8w3s8 said:
granger":dhr8w3s8 said:
Chap_24":dhr8w3s8 said:

I'm sorry but any coach that would keep their players on the field any longer than what it takes to put a team away no matter what quarter it is in order to make more money on concessions, is not after a championship nor does he value his players.
I disagree. If you have young players that don't get much playing time, a blow-out game can be a benefit. Get a 30-40 point lead then pull your starters. It will give the youngsters the experience needed for future seasons.

CoachMiller":2ua9oadz said:
Bcpowder:

You need to take into consideration that many teams do not have a JV squad. I for one want all of my kids to play whenever I can get them in a game. If I 45 someone with my younger group so be it, but what if they don't? Just because I didn't 45 a team when I "could have" does not mean I don't want championships, it means I am preparing for the future.
Exactly

A future that could mean in a few weeks... ie, district, playoffs...

You can go back and read the 1976 article in Texas Monthly to hear Roddy Maddox talk about putting a guy who'd never kicked in the make sure they didn't 45 the other team, so others could get in and get more playing time.

I don't know anyone who would say Coach Maddox wasn't about winning championships

CoachMiller":2njkvpx2 said:
Bcpowder:

Good point Coach Miller, the point I was trying to make was more about getting players off the field instead of getting more profits from concessions.

don't usually get in to these talks, but can someone tell me how Loraine moves up 36 points in the rankings by beating a JV? Their only two wins are against JVs. just saying. not really complaining about leuders, blanket and sands having a combined 2 wins, but still being in the top 23, but it is worth the convo.

Lueders-Avoca would have been given a bump in their point total because they played Crowell and Crowell beat the dog out of Blum moving Crowell up...meaning Crowell was a harder opponent for Lueders and therefore giving LA some extra points in the rankings for having played them...if I understand how the toy works...

Leman Saunders":3ssehhek said:
Lueders-Avoca would have been given a bump in their point total because they played Crowell and Crowell beat the dog out of Blum moving Crowell up...meaning Crowell was a harder opponent for Lueders and therefore giving LA some extra points in the rankings for having played them...if I understand how the toy works...

But they 0-5. I get it about their schedule - They played tough teams. But they got beat by all of them by 44 or more, except Hermleigh. I'm more curious about Loraine. They moved up +36 after playing two JV schools. They got beat by Midland Trinity and Buena Vista, and couldn't 45 either JV team; but they go up 36 points???

CowboyP":1vefrth3 said:
Bcpowder":1vefrth3 said:
granger":1vefrth3 said:
Chap_24":1vefrth3 said:

I disagree. If you have young players that don't get much playing time, a blow-out game can be a benefit. Get a 30-40 point lead then pull your starters. It will give the youngsters the experience needed for future seasons.

You can't argue one way or the other until you know the team. We currently have 9 players, if we can 45, we want off the field as soon as possible. My JH team last season had 13 players with a big gap between my 7 8th graders and the younger ones and we took 30 pt leads and gave the younger guys time and often finished the game with that same lead or maybe less. Point is, there's no set thing all coaches will want or even the same coach with different situations.

I found an error in something I have been looking for for all season. I have now fixed it, so you may see a few strange moves... there is one issue I cannot resolve and staring at it for prolonged pieces of time are now fixing it. I need to step away.

The one issue I have been trying to pin point may have some dramatic effects for a few teams. I hope I have it right. Will go into detail more later.

Take your time Granger. It's something for us to look at throughout the week, but has no bearing on playoffs; so do what you do. We appreciate all the work you put in to this. In the words of Aaron Rogers "RELAX" folks. It's not perfect, but it sure is fun to look at each Sunday when it comes out. Poke the bear too many times and he's able to go into hibernation.

Back