Rankings

Love to get a look every week...however...something in the Toy seems a bit off when there are still teams:
Arlington High Point Prep
Fruitvale
Lubbock Harmony

that are listed in the top 150 teams that don't even show as having played a game this season...

I am sure that they have had tough schedules in the past, but when the weight of their seasons from the past outweight the actual play on the field for the first 5 weeks of this season....something doesn't feel quite right...

They just got re-added to the start list by accident. Thank you for reminding me.

Nothing wrong with the toy there, just the operator.

On the discussion of the 45 rule- When I played (yes I played) we never ever wanted to 45 the other team for 2 reasons. One was more time to play. Anyone who says they are risking injury is playing the wrong odds. Do they not practice during the week because they are afraid they will get hurt? If you are 45ing a team, they are more likely softer than what you practice against. Besides, playing your second team gives the other team a chance to learn and improve. Second, our coach knew that there was no value in embarassing a team because what goes around comes around.

With that said, when did the rule change about having to take one snap in the second half?

Ok haters - have at it.

Back in my day, even if one team was winning by 60 points the rule was that it didn't end until after the start of the 3rd quarter. We thought it was for the benefit of cheerleaders, drill teams, homecoming courts, etc. It was dreadful for the team that was losing though. I have seen them end at the halftime buzzer this year. I was just curious when it changed.

Cardinal Dad":70llork4 said:
Back in my day, even if one team was winning by 60 points the rule was that it didn't end until after the start of the 3rd quarter. We thought it was for the benefit of cheerleaders, drill teams, homecoming courts, etc. It was dreadful for the team that was losing though. I have seen them end at the halftime buzzer this year. I was just curious when it changed.
Or maybe my memory is failing me,,,but it sure sounds right!

By the way, being a math and statistics guy, I like the toy. I'm still watching it to see if I can figure out some of its logic. Nicely done though. Its much better than the place I normally pull my predictions from.

granger":11smvk6s said:
Cardinal Dad":11smvk6s said:
With that said, when did the rule change about having to take one snap in the second half?

Huh?

I was on the wrong end of that one way too many times. Back in the late '80's we had to come back for a kickoff to start the third quarter before they would call the game.

oldfat&bald":31margie said:
granger":31margie said:
Cardinal Dad":31margie said:

Huh?

I was on the wrong end of that one way too many times. Back in the late '80's we had to come back for a kickoff to start the third quarter before they would call the game.

If the score is within one TD of being less than 45 points difference, and the team on the wrong side of the mercy rule is receiving the kickoff after the half, they still get a chance to receive. While that rule may have kept games from ending before, as the 2nd or 3rd team probably played the second half, and I doubt there is any way to find out, but I would love to know if any team ever actually used that rule to keep from getting 45'd and then came back to win in the second half.

Longhorn85":3kz1ngo2 said:
oldfat&bald":3kz1ngo2 said:
granger":3kz1ngo2 said:
Cardinal Dad":3kz1ngo2 said:

Huh?

If the score is within one TD of being less than 45 points difference, and the team on the wrong side of the mercy rule is receiving the kickoff after the half, they still get a chance to receive. While that rule may have kept games from ending before, as the 2nd or 3rd team probably played the second half, and I doubt there is any way to find out, but I would love to know if any team ever actually used that rule to keep from getting 45'd and then came back to win in the second half.
That would be interesting to know. Or even if they just came back and made it a complete game.

I think more for halftime performances than for concessions.

If the cheerleaders or band have a halftime performance now, they do it for Mom and Dad and no more. Everyone else has left the stadium.

Johnny South":7kqqsuf9 said:
I think more for halftime performances than for concessions.

If the cheerleaders or band have a halftime performance now, they do it for Mom and Dad and no more. Everyone else has left the stadium.

I agree. I can't imagine it being for concessions. Cheerleaders, Drill Teams, and Bands (for those fortunate enough to have them) put in hours of hard work to prepare their performance so I would hope the intention was to give them the opportunity to perform.

If your a football parent and you aren't staying for the halftime performance then your a knucklehead. Those kids and their parents are supporting your football player. Support your school (even the events your kids not participating in)!

Back