College bowl games

TheJoker

Six-man pro
Both of the playoff games were great games! One ended in overtime and the other came down to a 4th down play with 1 second left.

But who else thought some of the other bowl games were :poop:? They gotta do something about these kids not playing in these games. I heard an announcer say they need to tie some of the NIL money to it. I don't like that option, but what's the solution?

I personally like the idea of expanding the playoffs. I think that might help. Kids will keep playing if they think their team can still win a national championship.

I saw a suggestion years ago that I still think would work today.

24 team single elimination bracket. Just like in basketball, all conference champs are in. Conferences need to mean something! As of right now, there are 10 conferences in college football so that means 10 teams automatically in and 14 at-large teams.

They can use a poll for rankings. Those rankings will be used to seed the playoffs and pick the 14 at-large teams. The at-large teams are the highest ranked non-conference champs.

The top 8 seeds get a first round bye.

The first 2 rounds are played as home games for the top seed so all the top 16 teams will play a game at home.

After that, the games are played at neutral sites with sponsoring going to the highest bidder. These are the bowl games now.

Here's an image of how it would have worked in 2018. This is the year I saw this proposal.

2018-college-football-playoff-proposal.jpg

Both of the playoff games were great games! One ended in overtime and the other came down to a 4th down play with 1 second left.

But who else thought some of the other bowl games were :poop:? They gotta do something about these kids not playing in these games. I heard an announcer say they need to tie some of the NIL money to it. I don't like that option, but what's the solution?

I personally like the idea of expanding the playoffs. I think that might help. Kids will keep playing if they think their team can still win a national championship.

I saw a suggestion years ago that I still think would work today.

24 team single elimination bracket. Just like in basketball, all conference champs are in. Conferences need to mean something! As of right now, there are 10 conferences in college football so that means 10 teams automatically in and 14 at-large teams.

They can use a poll for rankings. Those rankings will be used to seed the playoffs and pick the 14 at-large teams. The at-large teams are the highest ranked non-conference champs.

The top 8 seeds get a first round bye.

The first 2 rounds are played as home games for the top seed so all the top 16 teams will play a game at home.

After that, the games are played at neutral sites with sponsoring going to the highest bidder. These are the bowl games now.

Here's an image of how it would have worked in 2018. This is the year I saw this proposal.

View attachment 5430
That is similar to what DII does https://www.ncaa.com/brackets/football/d2/2023

I propose the Kohler Toilet Bowl featuring the two worst D1 schools. Loser gets a full size gold plated commode.
This year's Kohler Toilet Bowl would have been a fierce match up between:

Kent State Golden Cranes 1-11 (0-8 MAC) vs Louisiana-Monroe Warhawks 2-10 (0-8 Sun Belt)

The loser should be bumped down to FCS-D1.

Back