Official Assaulted On The Field

Jones26":2z2lm4zs said:
I have seen, actually heard, of officials not liking certain coaches because they act like idiots on the sideline. Those coaches who question every little thing, throw a fit on every call against their team, and make a complete fool of themselves on the sideline.

Ding ding ding - we have a winner.

I agree with Jones26 100%. I believe officials could care less who wins a game. They are there to do a job! They are human and are going to make mistakes. If a coach will coach during the week, he won't have to be jawing on an official's ear all the time, hollering at his kids non-stop during the game, and generally making a fool of himself and his school.

If you have coached for 17 years and never seen an official make calls that caused you to suspect wrong doing, your either very fortunate or you have had your head up your ... hind parts.

I suggest you get a copy of the 2004 Throckmorton versus Calvert playoff game, Quarter-final contest I think, and watch it and then we will love to hear your interpretation.

It is difficult to believe any adult would allow an emotion to affect the execution of their position, and in my life such behavior has been the exception, but it happens my friend. And when it does its like being in a nightmare. Unbelievable. But it happens because of our fallen nature and will continue to happen. Thank the Lord it is the exception. But it happens. Surely you have seen rare instances of coaches playing kids more than another who has better talent, and that kid who played more happens to have a parent on the school board, or a faculty member of the school. Or perhaps you have wondered why a teacher seems to hold one student to a rule that they don't hold the others to. It happens frequently. Its not something we can admit to easily, but it happens. I have seen a teacher, even a principal approach two kids and confiscate their phones in their purse and back pocket while the rest of the kids walk by doing the same thing. I have seen one or two boys get hammered every week for facial hair, while half a dozen others are never addressed. And the difference between them is that they don't have a parent employed by the school or on the Board. In 2003 I witnessed an 8th grader get corporal punishment for using the AD's office computer while the senior QB and junior receiver got off with a lecture. Tell me that is fair administration of school code of conduct.

I have seen a tall, imposing black kid who needed two additional courses to graduate given the credits in order to get him out of school while another student, a girl who needed the same was allowed to return for another year. When I looked into the situation I was told that the same accommodation was not given to him because one teacher was afraid of the boy. He had zero documentation of negative behavior in his file. He was a big teddy bear. The little kids loved him. Both students wanted to return for another year. The boy was a foster child who had spent two years locked inside a large closet while living with a relative as a young child.
Pretty shocking stuff, right.

These things occur. Thank God they are the exception and not the norm.

No. I actually had a copy of that Woodson game for a while, have since loaned it out and lost track of it. In that game the Calvert players threw punches and were ejected. The film showed it clearly. Don't know why they punched, but they did. I noticed nothing else on the film...no punches thrown by the Woodson kids and no questionable calls.

The Throck game is totally different. A white official made the first bad call, then a black ref went insane with his flag. It was pathetic. I may have that film in storage somewhere.

Officials could typically care less who wins a stupid game. They get paid the same regardless.
But, you hit the nail on the head concerning coaches, administrators and teachers behaving unprofessionally. Whoever is in power decides what's professional. You see it every year at contract renewal time.
Still, you can't blindside anyone for anything other than breaking into your house or trying to hurt your wife or kids.
The blindsided official should go to the mattresses. The asst coach should be out of teaching permanently and sanctions placed on school just for a message to other schools that they have responsibility.

I think the school should be put on probation for a period of time, which is a slap on the wrist, but at the same time sends a message that they will be closely watched. That assistant coach should be sent to find another profession. He has no business working with kids. The two knot-heads should be banned from playing any football this year. As with all teams, organizations, and businesses there are some rotten apples in every barrel. Get rid of the bad but don't use the shotgun approach and penalize all of them.

BE":1f74w1j9 said:
If you have coached for 17 years and never seen an official make calls that caused you to suspect wrong doing, your either very fortunate or you have had your head up your ... hind parts.

I suggest you get a copy of the 2004 Throckmorton versus Calvert playoff game, Quarter-final contest I think, and watch it and then we will love to hear your interpretation.

It is difficult to believe any adult would allow an emotion to affect the execution of their position, and in my life such behavior has been the exception, but it happens my friend. And when it does its like being in a nightmare. Unbelievable. But it happens because of our fallen nature and will continue to happen. Thank the Lord it is the exception. But it happens. Surely you have seen rare instances of coaches playing kids more than another who has better talent, and that kid who played more happens to have a parent on the school board, or a faculty member of the school. Or perhaps you have wondered why a teacher seems to hold one student to a rule that they don't hold the others to. It happens frequently. Its not something we can admit to easily, but it happens. I have seen a teacher, even a principal approach two kids and confiscate their phones in their purse and back pocket while the rest of the kids walk by doing the same thing. I have seen one or two boys get hammered every week for facial hair, while half a dozen others are never addressed. And the difference between them is that they don't have a parent employed by the school or on the Board. In 2003 I witnessed an 8th grader get corporal punishment for using the AD's office computer while the senior QB and junior receiver got off with a lecture. Tell me that is fair administration of school code of conduct.

I have seen a tall, imposing black kid who needed two additional courses to graduate given the credits in order to get him out of school while another student, a girl who needed the same was allowed to return for another year. When I looked into the situation I was told that the same accommodation was not given to him because one teacher was afraid of the boy. He had zero documentation of negative behavior in his file. He was a big teddy bear. The little kids loved him. Both students wanted to return for another year. The boy was a foster child who had spent two years locked inside a large closet while living with a relative as a young child.
Pretty shocking stuff, right.

These things occur. Thank God they are the exception and not the norm.

I guess "I've been fortunate", since that sounds better then your other assumption of me that I "have my head up my...hind parts". You used one game to prove your point...all of your other examples are invalid to the conversation. The reason they have no relevance is because there are too many other factors involved. There are years of relationships there between the parties, and yes people are treated differently, for various reasons, especially when there are years of trust or distrust going on between the parties.

We are talking about an official in a football game with no relationship to either team. Please give us more than one example in one game 11 years ago (which may or may not have had any wrong doing....still sounds like your opinion). I was at that game, I think (did Throck win?), anyway, I remember there being a lot of penalties...but I saw a lot of penalties that needed flags. Officials are there for the game and the kids...not to decide a winner.

freeagent":670tvuey said:
Well, the NISD is allowing the John Jay football program to continue; at least one (maybe two) assistant coaches have been removed, one of them moved from the Jay campus.

UIL has a hearing today at 10 or 11 am in Austin on the issue.

What burns me is that NISD is taking this tack that the referee provoked the act by an unsubstantiated insult (perhaps of a racial nature). None of the Marble Falls players recalled such a remark and somewhere in one of the stories this morning, it was mentioned that another official was forearmed by a Jay player a couple plays earlier.

The official assaulted is considering legal action as well, and the Burnet County DA is awaiting the report, nearly complete, from the Marble Falls PD.

Really??? Even something as blatant and premeditated as this and some one is gonna play the race card!!! Such BS!

The point made with all these examples is that big people make mistakes just like kids do. History is choked full of examples of adults doing bad things to others because of their own fallen nature, because of bad decisions, passion, biases, payback, jealousy, revenge, on and on. Remember the histories you studied in jr high, high school and college. Every story in every chapter full of treating others wrongly.
Think about newspapers, cable news stories, sports stories, events close to home. The evidence of people betraying their vows and professional codes of conduct are pretty common. That is why we have mechanisms for removing dishonorable people, or impeaching , firing, filing charges on them. It is why we have laws.

But it is silly and naïve to believe sporting officials are the exception to this. There are a few bad apples in every barrel. No, I certainly don't believe the entire barrel is corrupt.

Just because idiot people like Black Lives Matter exist does not mean all cops are racists, nor does it mean some cops are not. If that official made an inappropriate remark, perhaps jokingly off the cuff, and was overheard by the wrong person on the sideline, this can happen. Let's wait and see the whole story. Me personally, I believe it is possible that someone could, and that is based on my life experiences. That's my absolutely worthless opinion.

One more thing: don't interpret any of my comments as justification for what those players and coaches did. The facts on film vividly show what was done and therefore they should be hammered. But, wait a little longer before passing final judgement on the official involved. He is not a automaton; he is flesh and blood and as such possesses the ability to make stupid mistakes also.

God bless the families of 9-11 and God bless our country.

BE":3ueuqyn5 said:
I don't believe for a second the Ref was attacked for no reason. And why should I automatically assume those kids hit him just because he threw a flag they didn't like. Are you throwing this in with the shootings of the police officers? Seems a bit paranoid at this point. Maybe he is right and it is one big national conspiracy...non-whites versus whites. I hope your over reacting and not serious. May need to cut back on the Fox News Channel for a week or so. I had to back off in 2012 for a while myself.

Sometimes kids do stupid things, like cheat on tests, even TAKS tests. Sometimes they drink on the bus, steal mascots, fight in the hallways, fornicate under the gym bleachers, throw punches at the coach, principal and spit on the supt. Some deficate and urinate on cars, joyride on the bus, break into the school, even burn down the school. They do these and many other things. I've seen or heard much more. Kids do stupid things sometimes. But so do grown ass men and women. I have seen officials make bad calls time after time during the same game. I have seen them make calls against one player until that kid is forced out of the game. I have suspected white refs calling to help the white team, and I have seen black refs making calls that benefitted the black team. It happens. It happens, brother. And when it does its the toughest thing to handle as a coach and teacher of young people. It is heart breaking, and fills you with impotent frustration. And I realize I can't make it stop, make it right when it does happen. All one can do is stand there and take it. But sometimes it is done to the wrong person and that could be what happened here. It is very possible.

As I have already said, these kids and coach messed up and will be punished. But I will wait a little longer before I absolve this ref from any wrong doing. I respect these officials as much as any man, but they are human and sometimes their emotions get the best of them, too.
This is funny! I especially like the part about having to cut down on Fox News for awhile in 2012! Lol
My two cents on this: People have turned into such panseys! The ref wasn't hurt. He may have even deserved it! Suspend the kids from school for 3 days and make them miss a couple of games and move on!

Well, the ref (according to his lawyer) has been under a doctors' care for injuries and did not officiate games this week.

The "race card" got played after the fact, which in my mind questions its authenticity. The NISD is going to help play that card and I got a chuckle when the UIL said they were going to study the "culture" of the Jay football program.

For those of you not fluent in government-speak, that means "We're passing the buck. If we can pin this on the ref, then we're all off the hook. Who cares if we ruin some other person's life?"

Jay lost to Del Rio last night 37-14.

It is really sad that some one can just use race to get off the hook or make some one else look bad especially when the person who is the actual victim is white if that ref had been any other color I truly doubt they could win that argument.

I'm so tired of the race card being played. The punk kids only used the race card after they realized they were in trouble. The color of the players or the refs skin should have no issue it. Right is right and wrong is wrong no matter the color of a persons skin. The video is proof enough. If the ref made a racial comment then that is wrong but it doesn't excuse what was done. I personally don't think the ref said anything since nobody heard anything but the players that did the inexcusable act.

SavoyFan":3itzfnwi said:
This is funny! I especially like the part about having to cut down on Fox News for awhile in 2012! Lol
My two cents on this: People have turned into such panseys! The ref wasn't hurt. He may have even deserved it! Suspend the kids from school for 3 days and make them miss a couple of games and move on!
Comments like this are assanine. Regardless of what the official did, he did not deserve this. The players should be banned from organized sports for life, and they should be charged with aggravated assault.

The race card is leverage in this our PC society, and will continue to be for a little while longer. When you have politicians and administrators who are motivated by nothing more than money and power, we will have corruption and wrongdoing. Had a bunch of guys like me rioted in Missouri we would have had our heads bashed in. :) That's a dumb thing to say, but who knows.

The leadership at the top sets the tone for many folks around the country, and we re-elected leaders who feel like its a matter of "what goes around comes around". And I don't know that that will change next year. Trump makes dumber remarks than I do. He is the front runner but will never get elected on just the vote of paterfamilia WASPS. Gotta have some female votes and my wife ain't appreciating that last Fiorina remark.

SavoyFan what do you think this is the Longest Yard were refs get hit in the nuts by a football and its funny? This is not funny this man was blind sided by a pare of over privileged kids who are trying to take an easy way out by using race.

Back