Official Assaulted On The Field

I seriously think that the more articles mysanantonio.com writes about this, the more confusing it gets. I'm sure they're trying but, geez - quit writing here say and figure out some facts. The story has changed no less than three times since Saturday morning.

I hope all officials chapters are learning from this and putting plans in place as to what to do when it happens again. How could #81 not get immediately ejected? Those few minutes of that game are so fubar. I have a hard time believing that no other coaches, when bigger schools typically have 5-10 coaches on the sidelines, saw this. Might need to boot the whole bunch.

ol' gus":2bpx6zol said:
I hope all officials chapters are learning from this and putting plans in place as to what to do when it happens again. How could #81 not get immediately ejected? Those few minutes of that game are so fubar. I have a hard time believing that no other coaches, when bigger schools typically have 5-10 coaches on the sidelines, saw this. Might need to boot the whole bunch.

I wonder if part of the issue was kind of the shock ... "No, we didn't see what we thought we saw" The ref didn't see the hit coming and let's face it, probably until somebody saw the film did anyone realize the premeditation of the act.

"This guy need's to pay for cheating us"? Not an explicit instruction to take out the ref but apparently interpreted as such by his loyal and already incensed players, which he obviously knew. He was not the HC per one of the articles, the secondary coach or DC? While he is suspended, I'd guess ex coach.
Then the accusation of racial slurs by the official comes from Jay.
Jawin players, ejections, players jawin at ref's.
How deep will this go?
What a damn mess.

freeagent":3mulyte1 said:
ol' gus":3mulyte1 said:

I wonder if part of the issue was kind of the shock ... "No, we didn't see what we thought we saw" The ref didn't see the hit coming and let's face it, probably until somebody saw the film did anyone realize the premeditation of the act.

Your right FA. I was shocked the first time I saw it (and still am). It took a second view to convince me what I saw was real. I still just can't imagine someone doing that even though I've seen it. The world has certainly changed in my lifetime.

Well, the NISD is allowing the John Jay football program to continue; at least one (maybe two) assistant coaches have been removed, one of them moved from the Jay campus.

UIL has a hearing today at 10 or 11 am in Austin on the issue.

What burns me is that NISD is taking this tack that the referee provoked the act by an unsubstantiated insult (perhaps of a racial nature). None of the Marble Falls players recalled such a remark and somewhere in one of the stories this morning, it was mentioned that another official was forearmed by a Jay player a couple plays earlier.

The official assaulted is considering legal action as well, and the Burnet County DA is awaiting the report, nearly complete, from the Marble Falls PD.

I think the players and any coach involved should have charges brought to them. The kids should never be allowed to participate in any extra curricular activity again. The coaches involved should never be able to coach or work in a school again. I don't believe the ref was saying anything. The football program needs to be suspended for at least this year and can't make the playoffs for the next two.

Those two young men were not football players, they were thugs. With all the heat they were getting from all directions, they had to make up a quick excuse why they did it. The old race card lifts it's head again. And I'm sure their parents will say,"they've never lied to me before." Yeah, right! Get them out of the program and away from the good kids on the team.

I'm pretty sure that all that is going to be done to them is the least amount. Rarely does any admin. have the balls to put the hammer down on true thugs but they'll cut some unsuspecting coach and his family loose for no good reason. There is plenty of good reasons to hammer these Ref hatin' thugs and the school they go to.
But they won't. And this will set a precedent for games to come.
I'm wondering if all the ref bashing, here, but mostly at the games (basketball is the worst because it's closer quarters and the refs can hear the jeers more easily) is what caused the ref shortage? That would make everyone who has jeered a ref guilty. Hmmm.

Well shut the back door, that is scary as...u know what. Makes me want to carry a concealed weapon on Friday nights. Hard to tell but it appears the initial hit was so hard that it knocked his toupee off his top knot. He sprang right up though. If I was the defensive coach I'd be concerned about that hit.

All warped humor aside, many of us have wanted to have an official thrown out of a game. Sometimes the level of incompetence is appaling, leaving the coaches with the struggle to explain it in some watered-down way to minimize the affects on your kids. I know nothing about this situation but I bet cha that ref was belligerent as can be, and that is not wise in today's big school PC environments. Of course that don't justify their actions, and they should be held accountable.

In my experience when an official crosses that imaginary line of fairness and adult responsibility, he jeopardizes his reputation and often his safety. That's just the way it is. Of course today with the level of technology we aren't totally helpless. Officiating chapters now beg for our game films so they can use them as teaching tools for their members. In the long run that should help.

In 2013 my stud running-back was tossed out of a game against Miami for targeting on a crack back when he simply lowered his shoulder to block a defender who was chasing our player who had made a cross field cut. The call was nothing but incompetence. Had it not been for my mother's Christian upbringing I'd have knocked him out with a back-porch sucker punch. :( After sending it to the chapter president I just knew we would get some satisfaction from them for the gross mistake. Never happened. In fact they said the call was correct because he lowered his shoulder and it hit the defender in the chest plate, that he targeted the player. WHAAAAT?? It happened 30 yards down field. A year later several of the chapter's referees acknowledged that the call was incorrect.

What those two kids did was wrong, therefore must be addressed severely. And for them that may mean suspension from UIL competitions for life. Hope not. I would agree with a full year of suspension. I believe there has to be a route to redemption. If they are seniors...too bad.

I think its awfully convenient that they are throwing out the "Racial Slur" motive because it was a white official and 2 minority players. Claiming racism is very easy to do in this country nowadays and once you get tagged with it, its hard to get it off.

I'm going to bet that official didn't use any racial slur, these kids, with the help of their idiot and equally incompetent coach, set out to take out this official because he had "wronged" them all night.

I would also bet the ref didn't make any racial comments. It is very easy to claim racism. Bottom line the kids are punks and probably should have been taught right from wrong and had their butts whipped growing up. Suspend the football program this year and no playoffs for the next two. These guys and the school need to be held accountable.

It's interesting to me that the slur if I'm correct wasn't mentioned publicly for at least 3-4 days. Also that the school district feels confident enough about it to file a complaint with the UIL in their own (only) defense.
I'm guessing (stereotyping I guess) from the names of the two players it would have been a Hispanic slur.
A recap of the game has a picture of a Marble Falls player with a Hispanic name after a fumble recovery. They have a Assistant Coach with a Hispanic name. This is Central Texas. Marble Falls has Hispanic's too. Would they have not been offended also as such comments would most likely been not whispered but possibly yelled?
One comment on this thread says the Marble Falls players heard no such comment though it does not give a source.
I need to re read if I can find it why and when the two JJ player's were ejected earlier in the game. It seems likely they influenced the later actions.

There is absolutely no reasoning behind this, these kids are thugs probally gang members from SA. They need to be permantly removed from HS and put on work detail. Their Moms and Dads need to be reprimanded because i guaranty you they have not given 1 moment to raising these kids. I personally am damn tired of blaming everything on others except the punks that do this crap. BE there is nothing funny about the incident, we would not make lite of you if some player knocked your ear-plugs out some nite. Cop shoot a punk thug attacting him and it the cops fault?
We better get real or this country is gone.

Unfortunately BE's thoughts on the matter are probably what most if not all coaches think. That bad calls are why they lost the game, not the 3 turnovers and 20 missed tackles. So sucker punch the dude for his incompetence? C'mon man. I hope I'm missing your point.
Even the mere thought of punching a Ref is the jist of a nationwide problem. Shoot a cop, tell a lie about a teacher to ruin their career, profanity, off color jokes, static stretching for warm-ups, etc. All bad ideas.
Is it any wonder why the kids are so messed up?

I'll tell you what, the bad calls that the young incompetent officials make are not biased as per a certain team, they are just mistakes in judgement and will happen toward both teams. But, they are doing their best and are calling it like they see it. If the coach just can't totally stand their officiating, just scratch the guy. You don't have to threaten him or bring it up to the kids. You can be nice to the guy, maybe mention the way that you saw it, and I guarantee that he will respect you for it, and will keep trying harder to be fair and impartial.
But I believe that they said this official had 15 years of experience, so he probably knew what he was doing.

I don't believe for a second the Ref was attacked for no reason. And why should I automatically assume those kids hit him just because he threw a flag they didn't like. Are you throwing this in with the shootings of the police officers? Seems a bit paranoid at this point. Maybe he is right and it is one big national conspiracy...non-whites versus whites. I hope your over reacting and not serious. May need to cut back on the Fox News Channel for a week or so. I had to back off in 2012 for a while myself.

Sometimes kids do stupid things, like cheat on tests, even TAKS tests. Sometimes they drink on the bus, steal mascots, fight in the hallways, fornicate under the gym bleachers, throw punches at the coach, principal and spit on the supt. Some deficate and urinate on cars, joyride on the bus, break into the school, even burn down the school. They do these and many other things. I've seen or heard much more. Kids do stupid things sometimes. But so do grown ass men and women. I have seen officials make bad calls time after time during the same game. I have seen them make calls against one player until that kid is forced out of the game. I have suspected white refs calling to help the white team, and I have seen black refs making calls that benefitted the black team. It happens. It happens, brother. And when it does its the toughest thing to handle as a coach and teacher of young people. It is heart breaking, and fills you with impotent frustration. And I realize I can't make it stop, make it right when it does happen. All one can do is stand there and take it. But sometimes it is done to the wrong person and that could be what happened here. It is very possible.

As I have already said, these kids and coach messed up and will be punished. But I will wait a little longer before I absolve this ref from any wrong doing. I respect these officials as much as any man, but they are human and sometimes their emotions get the best of them, too.

In my 17 year of coaching, I have never...not once...believed that an officiating crew was cheating one team or another. I have seen many....MANY....bad calls, but not once have I ever thought an official, or crew, was cheating (especially because of the color of skin). That whole argument sounds like someone is trying to make an excuse for the kids, or give them the benefit of the doubt.

I have seen, actually heard, of officials not liking certain coaches because they act like idiots on the sideline. Those coaches who question every little thing, throw a fit on every call against their team, and make a complete fool of themselves on the sideline. But, those officials still don't cheat that team because they are led by that coach. Some coaches need to worry more about setting a good example for the young men they are leading, and less about the "bad" or missed calls. We are coaching the next generation of officials. Just my $.02.

Back