Official Assaulted On The Field

I am sure there have been many who have felt like doing the same thing. However, it was totally uncalled for. No excuse for it.

My first thought went out of the window when I saw that this was a 2014 game and not a 2015 game. One would hope that the young men were pulled from the game or even tossed, the sad truth could be that a coach told them to do it. A real shining example of respecting authority that would be. This could also explain some of the growing need for new officials!

Blue Bird":1xtr96m2 said:
My first thought went out of the window when I saw that this was a 2014 game and not a 2015 game. One would hope that the young men were pulled from the game or even tossed, the sad truth could be that a coach told them to do it. A real shining example of respecting authority that would be. This could also explain some of the growing need for new officials!

The date says Sept. 4, 2015.

The event happened Friday night at Marble Falls.

Those two young men will never step on a Texas high school football field again.

Blue Bird":1cwf3qjx said:

No. This was Friday night. Not sure what time stamp you were looking at.

What I read was San Antonio game 6 2014. That was probably the next vidio to view had I chosen to. I was going the suggest that this is a contiuation of assaults on authority figures(ie, the police) that we have been seeing this last spring and summer.

1) Expel them
2) Charge them with assault
3) Jail them

Am I missing anything? Sorry, I'm still in a state of shock... never seen anything like this at the high school level.

topher80":2yvgn94d said:
1) Expel them
2) Charge them with assault
3) Jail them

Am I missing anything? Sorry, I'm still in a state of shock... never seen anything like this at the high school level.

How about, 4. Hang 'em?

Here's the story from KSAT 12 in San Antonio

http://www.ksat.com/sports/northside-is ... it-referee

Both kids have been removed from the team and suspended from school until a hearing. If this doesn't earn you an all-expense paid trip to Alt. School and a nice trip to see the Juv. Court judge, I don't know what will.

Referrees should have called the game and awarded a forfeit win to Marble Falls on the spot. And John Jay HS should be ineligible for playoffs for at least this year -- maybe multiple years.

Not sure what UIL would do to punish this school for this incident, but here's the minimum TAPPS would do:

1. School would be fined for ejections ... $50 for the first, $100 for the second,$150 for the third and $200 for the fourth. Of course, the kids would be suspended from play (and I would guess that the last two young men would be strongly encouraged by their school to find another place for their education before TAPPS even threw the book at them even more).

2. The head administrator and the head coach of that school would be invited to have a meeting with the TAPPS leadership and executive staff asking for an explanation of why this was allowed to occur and what plans said school was going to do to correct the situation. And woe be it that even one of the school's coaches had not completed and filed with every I dotted and t crossed their coaching certification paperwork.

3. The school would be on a strict probation until about a week and a half before the second coming of Jesus Christ.

And that would be by Tuesday morning.

One of the "excuses" given, but without any evidence to back it up is that the official may have made a politically incorrect or demeaning comment to one of these young men. Well, I guess that allows them to cold-cock the official as retribution (NOT) ... or could that be their response to "darn, we're in deep trouble now".

I wish that the video had been run a little longer ... I don't see any flags flying and seems that one of the reports I read or heard is that these young men were not ejected until a couple plays later. The video obviously shows this was a premediated act by these ... well, I'm finished with politeness here ... but perhaps in the unfolding of the play, it was not noticed until someone (the camera crew?) pointed it out.

I'm going to make a suggestion to all football games this coming weekend .. and beyond, if they wish.

When I used to do PA at Lifegate games, I used to say something like this: "Tonight's officials are members of the Austin Chapter of the Texas Association of Sports Officials," and I would introduce them by name. "We thank these gentlemen (or woman, if one was assigned) for their dedication to this game, our schools, and our student-athletes."

What I'd like to propose is that each home team (with the participation of the visiting team as well) follow that introduction by lining up on the 40 yard line and personally going to each official, shaking his/her hand and thanking them personally.

And maybe wait until the second quarter to complain about their calls ...

I also read that the officials ejected the wrong player and then a few plays later, one of the players who hit the ref was assessed a 15 yard penalty for taking out the opposing QB.

WHY WAS THIS PLAYER ALLOWED TO CONTINUE?!?!?!?! This program sounds like it needs to be shut down.

51eleven":3ft5gu9v said:
Per USA Today # 12 was ejected but # 81 was not? I'm no lawyer but it looks like assault to me. Could a helmet be considered a weapon?

I believe one of the two players involved was tossed a couple plays later for targeting the QB (I think Marble Falls was probably trying to run out the clock).

The official was probably confused after the initial hit, possibly a little addled from it and the second hit is why he ejected the first player only. I guess all the other coaches and officials were focused on the play, but I can't believe none of them saw the second hit. The secondary coaches for both teams weren't watching? Why wasn't the second kid ejected by other officials, taken off the field immediately by his own coaches, or, If I was the MF secondary coach and saw it I think I'd of been on the field screaming at the ref's to get him off.
It looks like a premeditated act between the two players to me IMHO. You hit him high, I'll hit him low is the classic analogy. The first blindsided a totally unsuspecting unprotected official with a flying launch of a tackle. The second targeted him with his helmet in another flying tackle.
What would happen if this occurred in the NFL. Immediate expulsion? Suit by the Ref for the players and teams millions?
JMO, I think the team should suspend football for the season for a start to send a message to all players everywhere that such actions will not be tolerated anywhere.

Tuesday's San Antonio Express News

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/hssports/2 ... inal-play/

One of the players who hit an official from the back in Friday’s Jay-Marble Falls game was not ejected, according to a document filed following the contest.

On video that came out late Saturday evening, it shows two Jay players, No. 12 and No. 81, tackling and spearing an umpire near the final minute of the game.

Sophomore Victor Rojas, No. 12, and senior Mike Moreno, No. 81, have been suspended from the school and from the team, according to Northside ISD.

According to the game report filed to the Austin Football Officials Association after the contest, No. 7, senior Trent Hobdy was ejected. Moreno stayed in the contest. On the next play, Moreno was penalized for a late hit on the Marble Falls quarterback on the final play of the game. Hobdy is not suspended.

Back