New Year, New Zebras

The 2021 Six-Man All-Star Game featured a first in football officiating history. As six man football is unique in itself, the Zebras calling this game was just as unique. The game featured a 5 female zebra crew to call the game. These zebras came from Austin, Waco, and Fort Worth Chapters to officiate this historic night in football.

As the off season is winding down, I hope I have been able to influence a few of y'all to look into becoming new zebras on the field for the upcoming season. I have posted links to chapters all across the state that have the right people to contact about joining. Some chapters will start having chapter meetings either virtual or in person soon. The South Plains (Lubbock) will start meetings Monday, March 4.
TASO (Texas Association of Sports Officials) will start hosting a virtual training series beginning next Wedneday, February 28 @ 7 pm cst. The first training webinar will be over the 2023 U.I.L. State Championship Games and can only be viewed by registered members of TASO.football. For any current zebras, I hope this is a reminder to sign up and kick off the preseason along with film study, mechanics training, and penalty enforcement training. We are 5 months and a few weeks away from roaming the football fields.

As the preseason continues and we inch towards the season, I hope all my fellow Zebras (new & veteran) are having fun watching film, reading rule book, and hopefully having training sessions within their chapter. To continue on with training, next Wednesday, March 20 will be the next virtual training webinar from TASO Football @ 7pm. The last virtual session went over the State Championship performances. This webinar will cover 2023 season review along with discussion on possible rule changes that look to be coming down the pipe for the 2024 season pending NCAA and UIL approval (See Ask A Ref forum).
To view this virtual webinar, you must be a member of TASO Football.
TASO Football
If you are not sure where to start, I have links within this post that can direct you in the right direction to the right people.

-Keep preparing and we will be roaming the fields soon.

4 Months until we roam the fields again my fellow Zebras.....
Things are starting to move along nicely towards the best time of the year. TASO Virtual Webinars are underway with another session on April 17th, (Holding 201) with Mr. Bill Stevens, TASO Football Immediate Past President. Most 6A/5A schools have spring ball going while most other classifications are playing 7 on 7, 6 man will soon join with 6 on 6 after track season. The U.I.L. will decide what rules will be adopted and or amended to use for the upcoming season. See ASK A REF forum for Proposed Rule Changes.

On the TASO website, several chapters have posted their regional rules clinics dates as well as the state meeting date.
Abilene - State Meeting - Aug 2-3
TASO State

Southeast TX - June 8
Beaumont

South Plains - June 15
Lubbock

College Station - June 29
College Station

Dallas - June 29
Dallas

Happy New Year to everyone in our Six-man community. We are about 8 months away from the start of 2 a days. I know, why am I bringing up 2 a days in January?? It's the start of a new year, and the need for more zebras on the field is ever growing across the state. The average age of a zebra on the field is above 50 years, so the need for younger zebras is starting to add up with older zebras stepping into retirement. I am greatly appreciative of these older zebras because they worked my games in J.H. & H.S. and have helped me make the transition to being a zebra on the field. As most fans have noticed across the state, especially in six-man, the moving of games to different days to accommodate for the shortage of zebras to work games from junior high to varsity.

The preseason has begun and zebras across the state have started preparing for the upcoming season with the hopes of working a playoff game and ultimately working a state championship game in December. Film study, goal setting, zebra mentoring, rule book reading and application are becoming a weekly priority because before we know it, the season will be here. T.A.S.O. (Texas Association of Sports Officials) provides great videos of instruction from accomplished officials (H.S. and College) during the preseason that would help a rookie to a seasoned veteran get ready for the season. A very experienced official with dozens of playoff games once told me "If you wait until May, June, July, or August to prepare for the season, you have already missed the season".

This is an opportunity to positively impact your community, area schools, and the great game we all enjoy at any level. I will put a link below of chapter locations across the state. Click on one closest to you and you will find the email of leaders of those chapters. They will put you in the right direction to prepare for the upcoming season.

TASO Chapters
It is true that officials are dropping out faster than they are being replaced. You cant have a discussion about the shortage of officials without discussing some reasons they are leaving. TASO had to develop their own Abuse of Officials Policy to try to stop the bleeding, but lack of enforcement doesn't seem to be helping the matter. Coaches need to ask themselves, what would I think about another teacher storming into my classroom and complaining about the way I'm teaching my class? That's exactly the same as a coach complaining to an official. The field of competition is an extension of the classroom. jmo

Back