NEW TAPPS DISTRICTS

Kramer

11-man fan
Just curious,

But has anyone thought of breaking TAPPS DII - DISTRICT 1 & DISTRICT 3 into two more districts..

That would give TAPPS Div. II a total of 6 districts..... Once playoffs starts, you can have 3 Northern and 3 southern districts

This could be one district..........
Brownwood Victory Life
Granbury Happy Hill
Lubbock Christ The King
Lubbock Kingdom Prep

This could be one district...........
Denton Calvary
Wichita Falls Christ Academy
Wichita Christian
Wichita Falls Notre Dame

And then split District 3 the same (not too familiar with the SA schools)...
HAVE AT THIS ONE lifegate

I just say this because after week 2 or 3, the district starts with the districts with 8 teams....
That's 2 or 3 games, then it's into the district fire

Not a chance, we have made commitments and schedules.

Also, canceled on teams we agreed to a 2 year deal on, this year being year 2, to allow 2 new teams in our schedules.

Coach Houser
Denton Calvary

Personally, I like four districts (or would be willing to go to six); but I detest FOUR team (or less districts). The "perfect" district is probably six teams, but I can live with 7 or 8.

Here's why I don't like four team districts. Playing 7 non-district games is basically Russian Roulette hoping your kids stay healthy so to make it to those three games at the end of the season that determine if you play beyond then (and folks, playoffs and state championships is what I hope is your intended goal, if not this year, another year down the road).

A six team district changes that to five district and five non district games. Eight is actually best ... that means you have three warmups and seven "meaningful" games. You can be selective on your non-district games (as opposed to having to fill those seven non district dates in a four team district) and find competitive games based on the squad you expect to have.

What I don't like about FIVE districts is that you will always get two district champs playing in the second round ... and it always seems it's Dist 4 and 5 (San Antonio/Houston). If there would be some rotation on that, it might be okay. With six, you'd have D1 1st vs D2 1st in second round and D4 1st vs D5 1st on the other side of the bracket; it could be easier for rotation.

However, TAPPS is also looking again at the concept of true regionals vs the current system (where the #1 and #2 of any district does not meet until the state finals) partly to help schools reduce travel expenses.

And come September, the TAPPS leadership will tell us what we get ...

What TAPPS should have done this year when they let Lubbock KPA, and Wichita Christian Academy in(forcing District 1 to completely change things) is move 2 teams to District 2. With the Tyler Street/Mckinney district only having 4 teams, and Dist 1 having 2 teams close to the metroplex (i.e. Denton Calvary and Granbury Happy Hill) you just move the two teams in parenthesis to District 2. That way you get Dist 1 with 6 teams, and Dist 2 with 6 teams both playing 5 district games and having an opportunity to play 5 pre-district games.

Poor Lubbock KPA and Lubbock CTK-due to letting teams in at the middle of realignments-have to start Week 0 off against one another in a district match. Seems like poor planning and a little bit of "I don't care about 6man" from the TAPPS admin.

jc_30 wrote:
> What TAPPS should have done this year when they let Lubbock KPA, and Wichita Christian Academy in(forcing District 1 to completely change things) is move 2 teams to District 2. With the Tyler Street/Mckinney district only having 4 teams, and Dist 1 having 2 teams close to the metroplex (i.e. Denton Calvary and Granbury Happy Hill) you just move the two teams in parenthesis to District 2. That way you get Dist 1 with 6 teams, and Dist 2 with 6 teams both playing 5 district games and having an opportunity to play 5 pre-district games.
>
> Poor Lubbock KPA and Lubbock CTK-due to letting teams in at the middle of realignments-have to start Week 0 off against one another in a district match. Seems like poor planning and a little bit of "I don't care about 6man" from the TAPPS admin.

Okay JC ... The district members can decide whether to accept new members in the midst of a realignment year. You guys could have said, thanks but no thanks to both of these schools. Adding somebody in the second year of realignment is always tricky unless you are using them to replace another school that dropped out.

Our first year (2003), we planned to play independent, however, a school closed and dropped out of the district during the summer. We had everyone except one school on the schedule and fortunately, we were open Week 10 which was the week that the one school we did not have on the schedule was planning to play the school that closed. Those opportunities don't happen much.

But playing a district game on Zero Week is a ... well, not what I'd do. We actually have a Week 2 district game this year (which is the earliest our district rules allow district games; we moved a week 3 game up to accomodate a non-district game and our district opponent was kind enough to agree to it).

From my understanding, the Wichita Christian Academy team was added during the basketball all-district meeting which TAPPS shouldn't have even let happen. At least KPA was at the football All-district meeting to schedule games.

And to my understanding, due to the fact that out in Lubbock there it is not an overwhelming amount of private schools, CTK has to rely on UIL schools so the last thing they want to do is have to start cancelling. That is why they chose to play in week 0 due to games that have been set since Dec of 09. And due to the addition of a 3rd Wichita team, it still caused CTK to drop a game against a quality UIL program in Miami.

It is just a shame that they would even let teams come in that late. I understand how Lifegate got in one in 2003 due to a team that cancelled, but this district is overcrowded.

In response to not scheduling district games on week 0 I fully agree with that but under the circumstances we were in week zero was the only week that we could have that game scheduled. Having the two teams come in, in the middle of the alignment has been a little tricky with scheduling and things because we did have two public schools that we had to cancel on with at least one of them being a home game against a very good team and CTK has had a history of playing against public school teams so it changes things up a little bit. But we have gotten everything worked out we will just be playing alot of saturday games this coming season.

Back