Looks like we have our matchup!!!!

Longhorn1970

Six-man fan
BAYTOWN VS PRESTONWOOD!

LET ME HEAR IT. WHO YALL GOT?

I’m riding with Baytown still. They are the underdog more than likely and will keep rolling!

Prestonwood looks great they have a lot of talent. Nazarene played a great game kudos to their effort. Really enjoyed the Atmosphere. Great sportsmanship by both teams. Could not help but notice though Prestonwood suited out 27 players. Those are 11 man football numbers? Or at least Div 1 numbers. I think they have the biggest roster of any TAPPS Div 1 2 or 3 team. Not sure how that happens? Please don’t tell me they suited up their JV whose has a JV team in Div3. Just curious huge advantage for them in the game.

Prestonwood looks great they have a lot of talent. Nazarene played a great game kudos to their effort. Really enjoyed the Atmosphere. Great sportsmanship by both teams. Could not help but notice though Prestonwood suited out 27 players. Those are 11 man football numbers? Or at least Div 1 numbers. I think they have the biggest roster of any TAPPS Div 1 2 or 3 team. Not sure how that happens? Please don’t tell me they suited up their JV whose has a JV team in Div3. Just curious huge advantage for them in the game.
I know you said not to tell you, but they suit up their JV team. I think the number is closer to 40, but 25 of those kids will never see the field in a meaningful game, so it’s really not the advantage you think it is. Nobody on the PCAN side thinks it’s a good idea. The JV parents feel like they have to travel to the games because their son is in uniform. The varsity parents could do w/out the distraction on the sideline. They’re moving up to division II next year. They’ll eventually go 11 man, but the program is only 3 years old.

BAYTOWN VS PRESTONWOOD!

I’m riding with Baytown still. They are the underdog more than likely and will keep rolling!
I don’t think there’s any question Baytown is the underdog. Baytown’s spread back looks really good, but Prestonwood is so athletic and deep. The only team in the state who comes close to matching their athleticism is Nazarene. Baytown doesn’t appear to have a defense that can slow down Prestonwood’s offense (assuming PCAN coaches decide to use their offense next week and not try to reinvent the wheel again). They have so many weapons all over the field.

Official prediction…Prestonwood by 30. Being six man football, anything can happen. If Baytown wins, it’ll be a high scoring affair…like both teams in the high 60s. I could also see a scenario where Prestonwood walks it off early.

I don’t think there’s any question Baytown is the underdog. Baytown’s spread back looks really good, but Prestonwood is so athletic and deep. The only team in the state who comes close to matching their athleticism is Nazarene. Baytown doesn’t appear to have a defense that can slow down Prestonwood’s offense (assuming PCAN coaches decide to use their offense next week and not try to reinvent the wheel again). They have so many weapons all over the field.

Official prediction…Prestonwood by 30. Being six man football, anything can happen. If Baytown wins, it’ll be a high scoring affair…like both teams in the high 60s. I could also see a scenario where Prestonwood walks it off early.
I agree with a lot of this. Having played PCA once and NCA twice, talent wise, NCA was the best chance for anyone to upset them. Both teams had premier talent, and NCA played a great game. However, this is PCA’s year, as well as it should be. This is a 3 year mission coming to fruition. However, I disagree with the roster size advantage. When you roll out 30+ kids on the sideline, it’s an advantage, regardless if they ever sniff the field or not. Even still, PCA is so deep, those kids that wouldn’t sniff the field there, would on other teams. I’d take them! I joked with Coach Purcell that they could probably win the Division IV 11 man state title this year with his Juco team he’s built!

Having said all that, that’s the way the game goes. PCA hasn’t done anything wrong or are sandbagging. They are just building a program and it’s growing fast. I’ve watched the growth over that last 3 years and they’ve done a great job with it.

PCA wins state by the mercy rule.

It’ll be a dogfight. IMO no way Baytown goes down by 30 or the Merced rule. It’ll be a 1-2 score game. If I’m wrong I’ll gladly admit I am after Thursday.

I agree with a lot of this. Having played PCA once and NCA twice, talent wise, NCA was the best chance for anyone to upset them. Both teams had premier talent, and NCA played a great game. However, this is PCA’s year, as well as it should be. This is a 3 year mission coming to fruition. However, I disagree with the roster size advantage. When you roll out 30+ kids on the sideline, it’s an advantage, regardless if they ever sniff the field or not. Even still, PCA is so deep, those kids that wouldn’t sniff the field there, would on other teams. I’d take them! I joked with Coach Purcell that they could probably win the Division IV 11 man state title this year with his Juco team he’s built!

Having said all that, that’s the way the game goes. PCA hasn’t done anything wrong or are sandbagging. They are just building a program and it’s growing fast. I’ve watched the growth over that last 3 years and they’ve done a great job with it.

PCA wins state by the mercy rule.
Good to see a Coach actually post their spreads on here. That doesn’t happen much.

BAYTOWN VS PRESTONWOOD!

What are the school enrollment numbers for participation in 6Man Football? Are you sure these schools are small enough to do TAPPS 6 Man? Could Pestonwood shuffle players from their main campus to the smaller campus for athletics?

What are the school enrollment numbers for participation in 6Man Football? Are you sure these schools are small enough to do TAPPS 6 Man? Could Pestonwood shuffle players from their main campus to the smaller campus for athletics?
Baytown is a smaller school. Prestonwood seems to be a bit bigger.

No. Completely separate campuses. Before North had athletics, North kids could play in Plano, but now there’s no mixing. North just had their first graduating class in 2023 w/ 9 kids. Class of 24 has 17 kids. Enrollment numbers are growing, but their success isn’t because of move ins. Only one starter on either side of the ball moved in after they started varsity athletics.

No. Completely separate campuses. Before North had athletics, North kids could play in Plano, but now there’s no mixing. North just had their first graduating class in 2023 w/ 9 kids. Class of 24 has 17 kids. Enrollment numbers are growing, but their success isn’t because of move ins. Only one starter on either side of the ball moved in after they started varsity athletics.
How do they have 40 players on their football team with JV and varsity. When most Div3 have about 40 in their entire school boys and girls???

How do they have 40 players on their football team with JV and varsity. When most Div3 have about 40 in their entire school boys and girls???
It’s based on enrollment from two years ago. At the time they had no senior class, 9 in the junior class and 17 in sophomore class. Next year they move up to division II.

Oftentimes, especially in 6 man, it’s not the starters that make the difference, it’s the “reserves”. It’s a huge advantage to have a kid come in and give a starter a breather and there is no drop off in talent. Every AD in the district gets alerted when a school received transfers, and in our district PCA was double digits, followed by NCA. Again, that’s part of it and good for them! That’s the nature of the game, grow!

PCA did do something this year I’ve never seen before in 6 man football…they actually platooned in an entirely fresh 3rd down group! That was wild and a first for me.

Sounds like great strategy from school officials keep it low numbers till alignment then open flow gates. Very flawed system to allow this to happen. Have to give them credit very well played.
It’s not a strategy. The numbers were the numbers. Prestonwood is a new school in an area experiencing an explosion in population. The plan was never to keep it small. All estimates are that the north campus will exceed the Plano campus eventually.

Add to that the fact local public schools are losing their minds, a lot of parents are looking at private options. Prestonwood is attractive for a lot of reasons, athletics being one of them. They’ve been very blessed to have talented athletes who were already at the school when their varsity sports started. In their first year of football, only three non-freshmen had ever played tackle football before. The freshman class had one year of middle school football under their belts. Five of the 6 defensive starters have been at PCA since 8th grade or before…so part of the original D3 numbers. Their 2nd best player decided not to play this year, so the notion that their success is due to move ins is wrong.

PCA did do something this year I’ve never seen before in 6 man football…they actually platooned in an entirely fresh 3rd down group! That was wild and a first for me.
It’s not an entire group. There are two players who never come off the field on offense. We do have different blocking packages based on down and distance. I agree that part is an advantage smaller schools don’t have.

The biggest change from last year is our best players play both ways. The first two years, we had separate offensive and defensive units. The problem w/ that is there was a huge drop off in talent after the top 3-4 players. Platooning requires more than just bodies. You have to have similar talent in order to benefit from it. We didn’t. Thats one reason why we’ve made the jump from last year to this year. The talent was there…they just weren’t on the field. Having mature upperclassmen helps too.

Yea yea yea… prestonwood has numbers. Let’s move on fellas. They are a solid team regardless and are obviously in the position they are in because they are a new school that is rapidly growing. That’s what all private schools should be wanting.

Let’s focus on the game. They are a high powered offense with a very good defense. I see this one could go either way. Prestonwood in a blowout or baytown in another gutsy win. I think that being the 4th seed has discounted baytown quite a bit. They have knocked off #1 team in district 4, #1 undefeated seed In district 5. They are playing good football right now.

I just hope not only for this game but that all 3 games are competitive! Congratulations to all the teams advancing. You have all earned your ways to play for the state title. Good luck to all the teams can’t wait to watch some good football.

Yea yea yea… prestonwood has numbers. Let’s move on fellas. They are a solid team regardless and are obviously in the position they are in because they are a new school that is rapidly growing. That’s what all private schools should be wanting.

Let’s focus on the game. They are a high powered offense with a very good defense. I see this one could go either way. Prestonwood in a blowout or baytown in another gutsy win. I think that being the 4th seed has discounted baytown quite a bit. They have knocked off #1 team in district 4, #1 undefeated seed In district 5. They are playing good football right now.

I just hope not only for this game but that all 3 games are competitive! Congratulations to all the teams advancing. You have all earned your ways to play for the state title. Good luck to all the teams can’t wait to watch some good football.

Guys, we all know private schools that grew quickly. I remember playing Austin Regents in 1A volleyball and basketball when I started as AD at Seguin Lifegate 20 years ago. They played 6 man until about 2003 or 2004, I think. In fact, Beck Brydon once called me trying to schedule us as his opening game when we started football in 2003. I kindly declined his offer, citing Texas child abuse laws. Dallas Covenant was a 6-man power for years and like Regents, plays crowded field football. I would anticipate that Prestonwood North will have the same "fate" in the future -- maybe a few more years down the road.

Back