Gordon First Team to 45 Everyone .... I think

You may be correct, but it seems like a few of the Ft Hancock teams did the same. Not sure about that though.
I’d also add that in the prior to around 1995 it was somewhat of a rarity to 45 someone even if you could. With sufficient players it was expected to give the under classman some playing time.
I sort of miss those days.

You may be correct, but it seems like a few of the Ft Hancock teams did the same. Not sure about that though.
I’d also add that in the prior to around 1995 it was somewhat of a rarity to 45 someone even if you could. With sufficient players it was expected to give the under classman some playing time.
That’s absolutely true.

Sometimes that doesn't matter. We had a game this year that was 32-0 3 minutes into the game. Our JV kids played the rest of the half and the final was 66-7. Those types of games are a no win situation. You've got seniors who have worked hard to earn starting positions and you're supposed to pull them out 3 minutes into the game? I don't like it. They only have a finite number of reps and you're robbing them of those bc the opponent sucks.

I know 45 is tradition, but it should be a sliding scale like baseball games. Maybe 75 at half....60 at end of Q3....45 in Q4.

By the way this stat doesn't mean bragging rights exactly and for those reasons. I believe Gordon also played their subs a good bit this season. Its just what happened and its nuts that it hasn't happened before.

Crowell 45’d everyone in 2014-15. Not the first to do it but an impressive feat nonetheless. If you do some digging their state rings even have “45’d em all” on them I believe.

2014-15
Crowell vs Calvert 44-16

RS nearly did it one of the TE years...think they beat Rule (Coach Reed ironically) by 44 in state game and it was the only game to go 4.

2014-15
Crowell vs Calvert 44-16

RS nearly did it one of the TE years...think they beat Rule (Coach Reed ironically) by 44 in state game and it was the only game to go 4.
Yes they missed it by one point. The closest to doing so. Seems most of those super teams that went undefeated had at least 1 "tight" game somewhere in the mix. So Reed responsible in part for keeping RS from doing it setting it up nicely for his team's accomplishment this season. haha. I'm sure that's what he had in mind. Just kidding.

I don't remember when JV teams became the norm, but early 90s seems right.
Gordon did play a lot of subs, sometimes all 6 offense and/or defense. The subs are better than a lot of opponents' starters.

I swore someone did it in the last 20 years but doesnt look like. 85 Jayton, 90 Fort, 07 RS and 2011 RS almost did...coaching philosophy has changed (prior to lets say 2000) in the past coaches by in large didnt want to 45 people as someone else has pointed out

Yes they missed it by one point. The closest to doing so. Seems most of those super teams that went undefeated had at least 1 "tight" game somewhere in the mix. So Reed responsible in part for keeping RS from doing it setting it up nicely for his team's accomplishment this season. haha. I'm sure that's what he had in mind. Just kidding.
If Richie had remembered to tie his kicking shoe, he wouldn’t have missed those extra points and they would have had their 45’er!
lol

Heard of a coach back in the middle/last 1990's that lost his varsity backup QB broke him throwing arm in the last non-district game of the season and was out for the rest of the season.
That week they didn't have a JV game so said coach was letting him JV finish out the second half of the game. When the QB broke his arm said coach put him varsity starters back in 45ed that team, and all others his teams could after that, reason, no use dragging a game out to let people play and risking injuries. Play varsity and jv games.

Heard of a coach back in the middle/last 1990's that lost his varsity backup QB broke him throwing arm in the last non-district game of the season and was out for the rest of the season.
That week they didn't have a JV game so said coach was letting him JV finish out the second half of the game. When the QB broke his arm said coach put him varsity starters back in 45ed that team, and all others his teams could after that, reason, no use dragging a game out to let people play and risking injuries. Play varsity and jv games.
That’s unfortunate for sure. However, the experience the younger kids get from allowing them into those games is significant. Especially if they get into games in the playoffs.

I swore someone did it in the last 20 years but doesnt look like. 85 Jayton, 90 Fort, 07 RS and 2011 RS almost did...coaching philosophy has changed (prior to lets say 2000) in the past coaches by in large didnt want to 45 people as someone else has pointed out
Are you implying M.Reed 45'd everyone intentionally?

Are you implying M.Reed 45'd everyone intentionally?
Not sure what he was implying but I can tell you that answer is no. The exception may be in the final game and honestly versus a team like Westbrook your best bet is to not let off the gas peddle if you get up. That mercy rule was more about mad respect than trying to imply dominance. And Reed did a fair amount of subbing anyway. The old "to 45 or to not 45" is one of those old lengthy threads in the archives here. There are valid reasons on both ends and if you have a healthy JV schedule, as Gordon did, you can't fault them.

Not sure what he was implying but I can tell you that answer is no. The exception may be in the final game and honestly versus a team like Westbrook your best bet is to not let off the gas peddle if you get up. That mercy rule was more about mad respect than trying to imply dominance. And Reed did a fair amount of subbing anyway. The old "to 45 or to not 45" is one of those old lengthy threads in the archives here. There are valid reasons on both ends and if you have a healthy JV schedule, as Gordon did, you can't fault them.
I don't think there was an implication of anything....but 45ing every SHOULD be your goal. The goal of any competition is to win. To that end, you should always strive for the maximum result.

I'm a staunch believer in feeding your starters...at least for a half. If you've only got one kid who accounts for 90% of your offense, that might be a different story, but if you've got multiple weapons in your starting lineup, they've all earned touches. If that means the score is 80-0 at half, that's the way it goes. Is it really anymore insulting to have starters scoring 80 than to have JV scoring 60? If I was on the short end of that, I'd rather just take the beating from the starters than to have some JV kid embarrassing my players. We all knows what happens when a bottom of the bench kid scores....the whole team goes crazy celebrating them. IMO, watching that is tougher on kids.

Back