Field Goal Rule Question

coach_jshelton

Six-man fan
I was wondering if some officials out there could clarify this:

Team A makes a field goal attempt from the 6 yard line.

Team B blocks kick after the kicker of Team A has made contact with the ball, the ball has left the tee and is traveling in the air.

Lineman on Team A catches the ball in the air at the 4 yard line, and runs the ball into the endzone.

Ruled a touchdown for Team A.

I have always understood that in 6-man, the ball is called dead once a kick has been attempted. Perhaps I'm confused and there's a different rule between field goals and PATs.

Is what it is, just wondering what the actual rule is.

A field goal is not treated the same as PAT in sixman, in so much as a PAT is blown dead as soon as the try is unsuccessful. I don't think a field goal attempt is blown dead until the play is dead.

Other than that exception, a field goal is considered a scrimmage kick - according to 8-4-1: "...the kick (field goal) shall be a scrimmage kick but may not be a free kick"

Scrimmage kick it is governed by Rule 6-3.

I see your point on it not being treated the same as a PAT - thank you for the clarification. The question remains, is a blocked scrimmage kick live after it has crossed the LOS? Is it live for the kicking team once it has passed the LOS & can it be advanced? Can Team B (Receiving Team) return a blocked scrimmage kick that has crossed the LOS for a touchdown?

The ball is still live on a 4 point field goal attempt. The ball becomes dead once it was recovered by the kicking team. There should not have been a touchdown. The ball will belong to the receiving team at the 20 yard line as the kick was unsuccessful and it was not touched by the receiving team beyond the neutral zone.

Not sure what rule you are using to put the ball at the 20. A field goal is the same as a punt, ball is dead when the kicking team recovers. Only way for it to go to the 20 is for it to go untouched into the end zone, or or the receiving team fields the ball in the end zone and takes a knee. If the receiving team fielded a short field goal attempt in the end zone, it could be returned. If the field goal attempt is made from the 30 and missed, the ball goes to the previous spot, receiving teams ball. Key to the whole deal, same as a punt.

Excuse me, fingers out ran my brain, this is about the same as offense running out of downs at the 3 yard line, they didn't score so does defense get to have the ball at the 20, no.

Thank you for the clarification gentlemen. I just put it in my stats as a 6yd pass for a TD for them and am moving on to next week. It's good to know if I'm ever involved in a scenario like that again.

cowman52":2g1fcljx said:
Excuse me, fingers out ran my brain, this is about the same as offense running out of downs at the 3 yard line, they didn't score so does defense get to have the ball at the 20, no.

You have an unsuccessful field goal attempt from the 6 yard line that is untouched by team B beyond the neutral zone. Team A does not have legal possession of the ball when they recovered it at the 4. Now read the rules on what happens to the ball on an unsuccessful field goal from inside the 20 that is untouched by Team B beyond the neutral zone. It goes to the 20. If the field goal was from the 40 and it is unsuccessful and untouched by Team B beyond the neutral zone, yep, B's ball at the 40.

It does not have to go into the end zone in order to go to the 20. All the matters is that team B does not touch it beyond the NZ.

The original play:

1. Attempt from the 6.
2. Blocked by team B
3. Untouched by team B beyond the Neutral zone.
4. Ball declared dead beyond the Neutral zone at the 4.

8-4-2-b-1:

b. Unsuccessful field-goal attempt.
1. If the ball untouched by Team B beyond the neutral zone is
declared dead beyond the neutral zone, it belongs to Team B.
Except in an extra period Team B will snap the ball at the previous
spot unless the previous spot was between its 20-yard line and its
goal line. In that case Team B will next snap the ball at its 20-yard
line.

Nothing changes on 3rd down. If it is untouched by team B beyond neutral zone it goes to the 20 or previous spot, whichever is greater.

Back