Field Goal Percentages

CoachLanc

Six-man pro
As someone that has never personally seen a field goal in sixman with my own eyes in 10+ years of playing or coaching, I'm curious as to what people's field goal percentages are that do try them. For something worth 2/3 of a Touchdown, I'm surprised coaches haven't found more ways to implement field goals into games.

In the last ten years, I've seen 3 made in games I've been a part of (that I can recall)...and I've seen about the same number of misses. As a coach, I wouldn't even consider a FG unless we have a kicker who is consistent from 30 yds out. If we are inside the 20, I'm more confident in our ability to score a TD.

When we had Heilig (see article), Tribe would kick often (especially in close games) as an almost sure 4 points inside the opposing teams 30 yard line was better than 4th and long. His Sophomore year he kicked two against Sterling City (back when they were 1A and top 10) to keep us in the game. Then, with less than 5 seconds left on 3rd and goal from the 3 yard line I opted to go for the win and we did not make it and lost by 4 points. Should have kicked it and gone into OT! (Here are the two kicks in the first half)

Back