Longest Field Goal recorded?

It was 24 yards. The stats we sent to the Midland paper are done on an ipad on the sideline by a student. Every once in a while, some things are inputted incorrectly. This happened to be one of those instances.

Midland Trinity has a pretty of couple of pretty solid kickers. As mentioned above Chesley McDonald a sophomore just missed a 51 yarder to win the game last year against Rockwell Heritage. This year senior John Stevens hit a 37 yarder on Trinity's opening drive against Balmorhea. The Midland Reporter Telegram mistakingly reported it as a 52 yards it was actually 37 the Balmorhea folks can vouch for it!

gohorns40":1lda80fe said:
Fun topic guys, thanks.
Just wondering aloud....what is the conversion percentage on 4th and goal from the 17? I know it's much higher for the upper echelon teams, but what about teams just below the Top 10 and down? If they had a kicker who was 5 of 6 on his PAT attempts every week, would (should) you try more field goals.....?

Not to get too serious on a thread where I've posted Bobby Bare links and that has otherwise digressed for a bit... gohorns comment here and one by smokey joe make me think of something I've wondered about for several years.
Why don't they make more extra points and try more field goals in sixman. Remember, I didn't play it and am definitely not a Coach.
I don't think much over half the xp's I've seen attempted over the years were made. With small rosters I realize it's a neglected part of the game. Many times all players are needed to simulate a (close) to full defense or offense in practice. Little time to practice kicking.
But kicking has potential to be a big part of the game from time to time.
On teams with at least 10-12 players it would seem there would be a couple of 20-30 minute times a week that 2 of the players who show the best kicking potential could be sent off to practice and shag for each other. If a coach could come by or 5 minutes on the other players water break and critique/encourage, great.
Another question to me is most xp's seem so rushed, literally, many are blocked. As so many are missed anyway why not back the attempt up? Even just 2-3 yards (5)? Let the kicker focus on making the kick. Not on hurrying it to get it off. A longer snap should not be a problem for any team that ever runs a spread.
Regarding FG's, any team with a kicker that can make 20-30 yard FG's 70-80, even 60% of the time would have an advantage in close games.

There's not that many good kickers in 6-man. Most PAT's I've seen over the years have been wounded ducks that barely cross the bar. Kicking game isn't really looked at as a skill position simply because very few schools in 1A and most 2A have anyone who can actually place kick. You have to get into 3A and up before you see anything resembling PAT consistency.

Obviously, there are exceptions - but not that many in 6-man. Still, if a team can convert 90% of their PAT's - I'll show you a team that doesn't lose very often.

smokeyjoe53":1day2lkb said:
Do the math........ 4 blocking 6. Lot less congestion of bodies to navigate to block the kick.....

It's more like 3 blocking 6 as it's very hard for the snapper to react fast enough to block someone...and a good kicker is hard to find in these small schools add to that a deep snapper.

Regarding PAT's in particular I realize the goal of a reliable kicker is virtually impossible for many teams.
My point is the points are important enough teams with a dozen or more players on varsity on a regular basis should be able to find one player back in Jr Hi and start developing him (or her). If you go up 3 td's to 0 early in a game that's 18-0, it could be 24-0. I.E., 4 td's. And, it could put the opponent in the mindset of "holy crap, they're (basically) half way to 45 and we haven't even scored" (they hopefully go into catch up mode and make mistakes), as opposed to, "2 td's, 2xp's, and we're 2 points behind and back IN it".
1-2-3 xp's have been the difference in a lot of wins, and losses.

Back