Crack Back Blocks

If you are speaking of blocks below waist, then yes, but they have been illegal for a while. The new blocking below waist rules are going to be a mess for a while. Everyone has their own opinion and they differ a great deal. Hopefully after the state meeting next week, we will know more.

When we say box are we refering to the Tackle Box?

"ear hole" wouldn't that insight helmet to helmet contact? lol just curious.....

They have stated that below waist blocks can only occur on a north-south line or toward the nearest sideline. Nothing that I understand has been said about the block you describe, but it is early and it could be, but not that I have heard.

I am just going on the new rulebook and the clinic this past weekend. Nothing was mentioned at clinic about anything other than below waist and rest of new stuff, but nothing on crackbacks. As I said this is all going to be a mess.

Thats cool, here is the, Jun 24 2011 Clarification memorandum the UIL posted on their site from the NCAA.

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/rules/football/2011/blocking_below_the_waist_interp_memo.pdf

It helps clarify the blocking below the waist. It has more to do with Defensive blocking below the waste then anything else. It basically restricts the defense from blocking below the waste/chop blocking anyone except the runner while the ball is inside the tackle box.

Its also suppose to help clarify how to dertermine the "adjacent sideline" for those that are set and those that are in motion.

Not me HPD. I just know where to go. TASO? I could'nt get any help from the local chapter to support the League for nothing. Maybe I wasn't talking to the right person?? How deep in TASO are you? ;)

High Plains Drifter wrote:
> I asked about the defense blocking below waist and was told that after
> state meeting they might have an answer.

The defense blocking below the waist has already been clarified. You can go to this link for the change. I would suggest printing this and putting in your rulebook to replace the text in the book. I tend to like the new rule change. It's not much different than last year. All they removed was the 10 yard "zone" and "towards the original position of the ball at the snap". Last year we didn't really think about how difficult the rule was nor how many times we have been wrong in calling it a foul when maybe it wasn't. Here's my point:
This applies for those players who are restricted by their position in blocking below the waist.

1. How did we know whether or not the player doing the blocking was less than 10 yards. Maybe he was 10.1 (no foul) or 9.9 (foul). With the rule change we don't have to know where that 10 yard area is.

2. Same goes for where the original position of the ball was. If the player had crossed that invisible line on where the ball was snapped from (legal block) or maybe he was right before that line (illegal block). By removing that from the rule we don't have to guess. If he's not blocking toward his adjacent sideline or North-South then the block is illegal.

https://cfo.arbitersports.com/Groups/104777/Library/files/2011InterpBBWDefense2.pdf

Just realized that the document that is posted above is the same information.

what is defense blocking below the waist?\
defense tackles.
offense blocks.

what is defense blocking below the waist?\
defense tackles.
offense blocks.

It has been a method used by defensive players to strip the ball carrier of lead blockers. They cut the lead blocker allowing another player to take on the ball carrier. Hope that clears up the confusion. Probably happens more often in 11 man, but it does happen in sixman.

The crackback below waist has been illegal for a while now. Blocking below waist is illegal unless the blocker is head up on a north south line or the blocker goes toward the nearest sideline. That is unless it changes. The defense blocking below waist and what happens when you have a broken play or similiar situation where a blocker on one side of the field goes all the way across the field and blocks below the waist. That will depend on who he blocks, and how many bottles the monkey has had. This deal is going to cause some problems this upcoming season.

That memo only deals with defensive players blocking below the waist and a clarification of "adjacent" in reference to the sideline. Be sure to remember that your traditional offensive linemen can still block below the waist in any direction anywhere on the field.

This is a really dumb rule change and will be next to impossible to officiate correctly with a 7 man crew on Saturdays, much less with 3,4, or 5 on Thursdays and Fridays. Personally I think they are setting it up to take out blocks below the waist altogether except those right at the line of scrimmage, but until they do we have this.

Blocking Below the Waist
ARTICLE 6. There shall be no blocking below the waist (Rule 2-3-2) (A.R. 9-1-6-I-VII).

Exceptions:

1. Against the runner.

2. Before a change of possession on scrimmage downs that do not include kicks, blocking below the waist is allowed as follows:
(a) Players of the offensive team who at the snap are:

(1) On the line of scrimmage more than seven yards from the middle lineman of the offensive formation; or
(2) In the backfield with any part of the body outside the tackle box; or
(3) In motion;

may block below the waist only along a north-south line (Rule 2-12-9) or toward the sideline adjacent to them at the snap.

(b) Players of the offensive team who at the snap are completely inside the tackle box or on the line of scrimmage inside the seven-yard limit may block below the waist.

(c) Players of the defensive team who at the snap are inside the blocking zone extended to the sideline may block below the waist inside that area until the blocking zone disintegrates (Rule 2-3-6-b) except against a Team A player in position to receive a backward pass.

Therefore (correct me if I am wrong), in SIXMAN, The DE lined up just to the outside of a sixman guard in a T formation can still come into the backfield and take on the lead blocker below the waist.

Back