Best team to never win state?

According to the data in this site's database, they did...

You are correct. It was the 1988
According to the data in this site's database, they did...

I stand corrected. I was 11 at that time and going off of 36 years of memory. The 89 Gorillas were stout. Probably a little bias. Thanks for the correction

2010 Borden County team got beat by the State Champs (Garden City) twice by a combined total of three points. Both of those games were awesome games too. And that was a very good GC team.

2010 Borden County team got beat by the State Champs (Garden City) twice by a combined total of three points. Both of those games were awesome games too. And that was a very good GC team.
The BEST that didn’t win it without a doubt, I watched both of those games and it was unreal. 2 great teams

Happy has a few teams I’m thinking could be in this conversation but in particular 2007 I believe they lost a shootout to a phenomenal Rule team in the area round on a very cold night at Lowery Field in Lubbock.

Last edited:
2009 Strawn Greyhounds scored 88 points in the state championship game and still lost That is the best team ever not to win the championship. If the Strawn running hadn't twisted his ankle they would have scored a few more touchdowns.
Yea but garden city put 122 on the board that game. It feels like I was just at that game yesterday fun day for sure in shotwell stadium the Borden county game that day was a dog fight as well. I got way more than my moneys worth on the tickets that day I kinda miss them playing the state game at Abilene.

Happy has a few teams I’m thinking could be in this conversation but in particular 2007 I believe they lost a shootout to a phenomenal Rule team in the area round on a very cold night at Lowery Field in Lubbock.
Wow this Happy Team was Loaded, unreal the talent this team had. I believe the Rule coach was Mike Reed. Amazing what a good coach can do.

Back