best coaches to never win a state championship

Well what about the current coach at oglesby? He should be in the top 5 definitely...... NOT... He is the worst high school coach I've ever seen and he's got the track record to prove it. Those kids and fans there don't deserve that.

The BEST COACHES EVER to not win a state title is...

1. Harvey Wellman (Guthrie)
2. Jerry Miller (multiple schools)
3. Toby Goodwin (Ira)

We can put names on here (private/uil) but these 3 are/were the tops in the game..

NO ONE ELSE COMES CLOSE

There's a LIMITED FEW that can seriously be placed in this category.... Ones that come to mind

Private School...... Phillip Hudgens of Austin Hill Country stands alone in this category. I believe he is better than several TAPPS coaches that has won a state title, but he's come up short several times due to Coach Larry Uland.
It won't be long before Coach Hudgens and HCCS hoists that trophy (in Zephyr)

1. UIL......... Harvey Wellman of Guthrie had several GREAT teams during his tenure and is NO doubt the best 6-man coach ever. What he did at Guthrie ISD is/was amazing.....Was once the WINNINGEST COACH EVER... but was replaced by my #2.
2. UIL......... Jerry Miller..... His coaching record alone shows his greatness.
3. UIL......... Toby Goodwin of Ira is a very good coach, His time to hoist that UIL trophy is coming.
4. UIL......... Bret Tyler of Valley is darn good as well.

#1 and #2 could go into ANY school and make winners of the football program..

These 4 know are VERY GOOD COACHES that know 6-man football....

Sam Adams from Dawson deserves some mention. The west semifinal against the Richberg led Highland teams was the real championship game those two year years. He coached some good team's before there was a UIL championship too. Most importantly, he had the patientence not to do what any other guy would have done and kill me in the late '80s. :)

Who was the coach at Christoval in the 80's when they went to the state championship several times only to get knocked off by Jayton and Ft. Hancock?

Some may disagree but Buddy Luce was not only a good coach but one of the most caring men I ever knew in the profession. Never played for him nor had kids who played for him but I saw him doing things for opposing players that is pretty uncommon in todays world of football. I see him from time to time and consider him a good friend.

back in black":1uqyvhxw said:
i think Larry Pruitt and Benny Weaver but they would say it was the kids that might be what make them so good at there job
And they would be absolutely 100% correct!!

Back