Best team to never win state?

There was definitive proof (ESPN showed this) that QB didn't cross line of scrimmage and end result should have been a Gordon touchdown. 5th down was a result of a blown call by the Referees.

I understand he didn’t cross the line of scrimmage but the referee still didn’t get the call right.

2019 Mclean Tigers with Ben Crockett. I know they won it the year before but the 2019 team was still pretty dang good
My bias might be showing, but that 2019 Rankin team was dang good too. It’s a shame just one team had to win state that year. Blum, Rankin, and McLean were all pretty equal in talent to me!

1997 Grandfalls is another thought I had. Second round, up 26-6 or 26-12, something like that in the 3rd qtr on Bordon County. Coyotes came back and won 30-26, then went on to beat Panther Creek 48-16 to win state.

For the folks talking about the ESPN show on the 1996 6man State game...the ESPN show was "Unbelievable Sports" and aired early in 1997

I wrote about it and other times six-man was in the national spot light a few years ago on here....here is the link to that

Maybe the 1997/98 Strawn teams are worthy of consideration.
The 97 team lost 3 games. By 15 to Trinidad, 33 to Gordon, and 94-80 in a shootout coming down to the last minute or two with Trinidad in the regional game, or so I've been told. SHS 45'd all others but Buckholts in bi-district who they beat by 30. Trinidad went 12-1, 45ing everybody they played but Strawn, beating them twice by 15 then 14, until loosing state by 4 to Panther Creek in the state game.
The 98 Hounds went 13-1. They only beat Mullin by 23 in the second game. And they didn't 45 Richland Springs, they 44'd them, 44-0. Credit to RS for making a full game of it. Game 9 was the closest of the year, Beating the Gordon Long Horns by only 6. They 45'd all others but Highland in the regional, who they beat by 34, 46'ing last years champs Panther Creek in the QF. Then came the buzz saw.
Trinidad went 15-0 that year, 45'ing everybody but Grandfalls-Royalty in week 4 and Coolidge in week 10. Then everybody in the playoff's including Gordon in the QF and Strawn in the Semi, Borden County in the state game.
Damien Jackson was the best pure sixman RB I've ever seen.

An interesting aside. The only non 45 games Trinidad had that year were to Coolidge by 29 and Grandfalls-Royalty by 12 was the closest. IDK if Damien was maybe hurt that game or something.
But the coach of that GF-Royalty team was a still fairly new in his 5th year hc after playing 11 man in hs and college. Though he had learned a little coaching against Vance Jones going, 11-1 in 96/97. In 98 he lost to Trinidad by 12 in that 4th game of the year. Then in the regional he lost to Borden County by 32. Who Trinidad 45'd in the state game.
As GF-Royalty 97 is mentioned in a more recent post, and no one questioned who I was referring to here, their coach in 97 & 98 was Dewaine Lee.

Abbott's 2000 crew. They crapped down their pants against Panther Creek. I believe if it wasn't for that, it would have been a ring for them.

1989 Trent Gorillas - Payne broke his leg in a District game against Panther Creek 44-38 They was ahead 44-8 when he broke his leg. (Trent Won the district game) Trent lost the Area game 44-42 against Panther Creek who went on to WIN STATE!

1989 Trent Gorillas - Payne broke his leg in a District game against Panther Creek 44-38 They was ahead 44-8 when he broke his leg. (Trent Won the district game) Trent lost the Area game 44-42 against Panther Creek who went on to WIN STATE!
Fort Hancock won state in 1989 Panther Creek won state jn 1992, 1993 and 2000
The 2000 team lost to Aquilla 44-42. Aquilla lost to Panther Creek. Bo Simpson and Albert Booker were on that team.
The 2000 team lost 1 regular season to Highland the runner-up to Panther Creek at state.
They lost to Panther Creek 44-42 in Bi-District in 1989. Panther Creek lost to Fort Hancock by the 45 point rule

Last edited:
I thought Fort Hancock won state in '89...

My bias might be showing, but that 2019 Rankin team was dang good too. It’s a shame just one team had to win state that year. Blum, Rankin, and McLean were all pretty equal in talent to each other
Rankin was right at the door step in 2019 loaded with talent they would have gave Blum a run for their money

Back