Best team to never win state?

2009 Strawn Greyhounds scored 88 points in the state championship game and still lost That is the best team ever not to win the championship. If the Strawn running hadn't twisted his ankle they would have scored a few more touchdowns.
Trey Doyle was truly a beast in that game but Josh Colunga and the rest of the Bearkats were just too good that year. 122 - 88 was the final and it looked like a track meet at times.

83 Cherokee. They would have made huge bid for state had they not lost a player in auto accident that season. Loaded with size speed and talent but the loss of star player was lot to overcome.

They called that passed the line of scrimmage?? That’s literally the worst call I’ve ever seen
Truth. And this horrible call could have cost Gordon a State Championship. This would have been a tragedy. I wish history would remember that Gordon won fair and square instead of being known as the team that was given a 5th Down. The 5th Down was righting the wrong.

They called that passed the line of scrimmage?? That’s literally the worst call I’ve ever seen
From this video at this point he is behind the line of scrimmage. Looks like the officials got things wong twice. I guess at Jerry's world since they allow instant replay they could have gotten it right. Would be interested to know how much time was left on the clock if the penaly had not been called. It is siman football and Whitharral could ahve had enough time to score again. There was nearly a minute left looking at the elapsed time on the video.

Last edited:
From this video at this point he is behind the line of scrimmage. Looks like the officials got things wong twice. I guess at Jerry's world since they allow instant replay they could have gotten it right. Would be interested to know how much time was left on the clock if the penaly had not been called. It is siman football and Whitharral could ahve had enough time to score again.
Yes. The consequence was that Whitharral lost about 60 seconds to stage a comeback.

I'm going with.... the 1994 Balmorhea Bears. They only had 1 loss that year and it was by 4 points to the Amherst Bulldogs in the Semifinals.

I'll also add, the 2003 Ft. Davis Indians. Who came up short at State against Strawn. They were a pretty damn good team that year.

I have a few on this one.
2004 Paducah- First year in Sixman and lost their second game by 15 to Throck who lost to Richland by 8 in the Semis. Scored the game winning TD on Valley in the Second Round but blocked in the back out of nowhere to cost the game. Valley lost state to Richland Springs by 20.
2006/7 Rule- Take your pick on the Fab Five.
2008 Gordon- beats Strawn by 30 first Go Round and Loses by 21 in the QF.
2009 Strawn- Ran into the Powerhouse GC Team
2010 Calvert- Two loses on the season. State Champion Garden City by 2 first game. State Champion Richland Springs by 8 in the QF.

Those are the ones that I've personally seen and can attest to. Whether I got my butt whooped by them or saw it live.

I'll let y'all argue about the 80's and 90's

I'm going with.... the 1994 Balmorhea Bears. They only had 1 loss that year and it was by 4 points to the Amherst Bulldogs in the Semifinals.

I'll also add, the 2003 Ft. Davis Indians. Who came up short at State against Strawn. They were a pretty damn good team that year.
Martin Sanchez from Balmorhea vaulted the Bears to that legendary showdown with Amherst with the 11 second touchdown against Guthrie.

Covington in 1995 with CW Williams as the Coach. Blue Willis was the spread back who went to state in the 200 meters and was an all state pitcher, CW's youngest son Noah (who is now coaching in Zephyr as an assistant) was 6'3" 225 lbs at right end, Ricky Hodges 6'3" 185 lbs at left end, Charlie Tingle, 6' 205 lbs at wing back and Blue's baby brother Damon 6' 230 lbs at Center. While number 2 in the state they lost at Trinidad by 3 points with some very controversial calls. Then beat Milford at home, who at the time was the new number 2 team behind Amherst, the next week.

Milford had the ball with a lead late in that game and could have ran the clock out with a first down when middle linebacker Charlie Tingle broke thru the line and took the ball away as it was being handed off. A couple of plays later Blue threw a long pass to brother Damon in the end zone for the winning touchdown.

Trinidad, Milford and Covington tied for the district championship all at 9-1. A coin toss knocked Covington out of the playoffs and Milford went on to play in the state championship game, Trinidad lost in bi-district. Covington had the size and speed to match up with eventual state champion Amherst and Dwayne Miles. It is a shame that they did not get to find out.

2011-2015 Ira Bulldogs, every year went undefeated until playoffs, and was ranked in the top 5 every year in that span.
4 total losses.
12-1, 11-1, 12-1, 12-1.

(I am bias though)

Martin Sanchez from Balmorhea vaulted the Bears to that legendary showdown with Amherst with the 11 second touchdown against Guthrie.
Yes, and I believe the video is floating around somewhere of that return. It was definitely a wild finish to that game.

Back