Best six-man game ever??

oneday":3hkl7jdp said:
And this is where hornkeeper posts a still photo of the illegal forward pass play....

Ah, but he has proof that it was not illegal but a bad call....... Thus the "poetic justice".

If I had it, I would post it, but I don't. I have seen it, and I have the espn show on vhs showing where it was 4 yards behind the LOS. It used to be on lonestarfootball.net, but for some reason, it is not anymore.

I guess my second favorite best game ever that I saw was also a Strawn - Richland Springs game. First round of the playoff's in 2008. RS hadn't lost a game in almost 3 years, back 2 back state champs. Heck they had lost only 2 games in 5 years. Strawn had lost a game - to Gordon in district. RS had beat Gordon in week 4. Hounds came in as second seed, not a chance in heck, an afterthought.
RS jumped out to a 14-0 lead, Strawn countered, RS scored again, then Strawn, 20-16 end of 1st. Hounds were hangin early but could they keep it up? A shootout in the second resulted in 60 points, 30 for each team. RS lead 50-46 at the 1/2. Projecting to myself I thought if the keep it up & double the scores we would loose 100-92. Something I couldn't fathom at the time - I'd never seen a 100 point game then.
Strawn scored 23 in the 3rd to RS's 8 to take a 69-58 lead. To start the 4th RS scored to cut the lead to 5. Strawn countered again with a 51 yard TD from Trey Doyle to make it 77-66. RS cut it down to 5 again with 1:24 left on a 9 yard run by Haustin Burkhart, S-77 RS -72. If they recover an onside kick they have plenty of time to score and win. Caught on a bounce, Christian Johnson of Strawn runs it back 46 yards for a TD. Final 83-72.

1989 Jayton vs. Rule: 50-50, Jayton wins on penetrations.

1994 Balmorhea vs, Guthrie: 72-70 Balmorhea returns kickoff as time expires

2001: Woodson vs. Calvert in Hico 45-26: Big fight, Coach grimes made his players leave field. Impressive war that night.

Just three that stick in my mind....

bulldog5234":u5db25dq said:
I will have to say the Spur vs. Ira game in the 2010 season.
I have to agree that was a GREAT GAME!!!! Not the BEST Sixman game I have seen but probably the BEST defensive game I have seen.

Ira 8
Spur 0
Final.

CoachMiller":wfe04j95 said:
1989 Jayton vs. Rule: 50-50, Jayton wins on penetrations.

1994 Balmorhea vs, Guthrie: 72-70 Balmorhea returns kickoff as time expires

2001: Woodson vs. Calvert in Hico 45-26: Big fight, Coach grimes made his players leave field. Impressive war that night.

Just three that stink in my mind....
Was that a typo or Freudian slip?

Gordon on 5th down...I love bringing it up because it always gets the same response!

I have the film and yes it was a bad call...but the box score still shows it was a penalty and that the refs forgot to take away a down and the extra down aided in the victory by creating one extra oppertunity to score. Gordon won a great game.

This is only my third year with seeing SixMan Football...the best game that I have personally seen is the Groom vs Miami game this year. It was an overtime thriller...compounding circumstances were that I have a player on one team and this player has a GF cheerleader on the other team! Great game went back and forth a few times...

Nice to see mention of the Cherokee-Strawn regional championship game in 1969. I played defensive back and offensive receiver(end) on the Strawn team. Cherokee had lots of speed and we not ready to chase them down early in the game. They jumped out to a 24 to 6 lead by the end of the first quarter and it was a dog fight the rest of the game. We had regained the lead mid way through the third quarter and it was a see saw game from that point till the finish. Cherokee played a fine game and we certainly could have played better. We scored more touchdowns than Cherokee but didn't convert many extra point trys. I did not find out about the ineligible player at Cherokee until the fall of 1970. I was told that the player in question had started playing football at San Saba the fall of 1969 and had been kicked off or left the team and went to Cherokee that same season and started playing. At any rate Strawn lost the game on the field 44 to 47 but wound up with championship because of Cherokee's forfeiture. Victor, Steve, Stinker, Flash and I still talk about the game that got away from us, scored 44 points and that was 43 years ago. Victor said we had a bad game that night. Strawn had a great run from 1967 through 1969 going 30 and 2. I am ready for Strawn to have a few more like ours.

the best i have seen was a play off game agianst garden city and t-rock it was back in forth trock looked they had the momentum and the t rock coach took his fastist player off the field and g c scored all three plays he was on the sidelines. score was like 80 to 84 it was a very good game

The 1968 Regional game Strawn v Novice was also pretty good...played in Coleman and I think Novice was up on Strawn for a while and Strawn came back. It was a shocker because Novice was a small team and Strawn looked like the all could be starting on a college team.

It was one of the Regional games from the 60s I was lucky to find on film and put to dvd.

longhorn75...I gave a few of those players a dvd of that 68 game, did you happen to get one?

Oneday, I don't have one but Stinker has a copy he was going to share with me sometime. I appreciate your asking. I played on the kick off team for Strawn in the 1968 game, number 19 and Novice scared us pretty good. I think they returned one kickoff for a touchdown or close to a touchdown and that had NEVER been done to us before. We were defense minded though Larry Kueck, Johnny Gailey, Kirk Hinkson, Victor Salazar and Steve Nunez were great offensive players. We had an off night and Novice was playing really good. I remember Steve Nunez had a great game, Novice had trouble stopping Steve until Kueck and Gailey finished off the game with some long pass plays. We took Novice somewhat lightly and they made us pay for it.

The Fog Bowl 2008 was certainly the best football game no one could see. Silverton versus Lefors. Lefors goes into the half with a 30 - something point lead. Then the fog set in. Fog is an under statement. It was like God filled River Road stadium with Cool-Whip.

I was keeping stats and doing color commentary up in the press box with Nick Long (hosted a friday night score show on the radio for several years). It was so bad at one point, we had to rely on the scoreboard for down and distance, and I could only generally guess at who was carrying the ball.

Silverton came back and won in what turned out to be, as Nick Long put it, "the greatest game I ever saw that I never saw".

I just watched the 2001 Semi-Final game RS v Woodson...listening to the camera man in the booth at the end was great...watching the 1989 Jayton 50 Rule 50 game right now...thought I'd try to make some people jealous

Were kids in the 80s just bigger?

Oneday that's pretty cool right there. About your question on kids being bigger back in the 80's, sounds like a new thread that needs to be started.

The 05 Blum - Abbott playoff game someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think it was 86 to 78 Blum. At that time it was the highest scoring game on record. Blum was down 48 to 20 at half. Went on to lose to R.S. the next week.

oneday or BC - whoever was wanting a copy of the 1996 State Championship game Whitharral/Gordon - I can get it from my dad. He was the coach of Whitharral that year - as much as he hates to see it - we kept it anyway. I can make copies if you want one.

Back