Best six-man game ever??

I certainly cannot comment on the best game ever. I have not seen enough, but I will say that the Throckmorton/Dallas Covenant game this year was pretty wild. #1 Throck led the whole game at home and they were up by 20 with about 5 minutes left. Covenant scored 24 to win by 4. It was pretty crazy and shcoking. Two weeks later, Covenant beat the new #1 team at home - Valley...it was a great game and close down to the wire, but not like the Throck game.....

Weldon valley CO and Mullin. My little brother played on that team. 94. I think. 8000 people in attendance. Mullin had Petey Salaiz. Weldon had a an who handled the ball better than anyone I have ever seen.

Lohn and christoval in 88 I think. 78-75 Christoval won. Lobn had won state the year before. Shorty montalvo was all over the field for christoval. Lohn had the Short brothers, Duane doyal at RB and William Covington, who later spent time on the Houston oilers practice squad.

Cherokee and panther creek in Brady in the early nineties. I don't remember which of the humphries brothers was at QB for PC. I played against the older one in 88 and 89.

Mullin and highland or witharral in the early 80's. I was only about 10 or so. The game was something like 108-102.

Wisdomofone":fomysy8i said:
I hate to throw the privates in here but ...... Oct 2010 Azle Christian VS Waco Live Oak an interception with 10 seconds left tie game and a touchdown as time expired to win the game. It was one of the best sixman games I have ever seen.

I also watched Aquilla VS ???? I can't remember but the game came down to the extra point 1 to tie 2 to win. I believe Aquilla blocked the attempt.

The final minute of play has been uploaded to youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3A3a7CX9Uk

Another game I've heard a little about but didn't see from "back in the day" before there was A State Championship was the 1969 Regional Championship between Cherokee and Strawn (heck, I hadn't even heard of sixman, or alot of other things in 69). Strawn was undefeated in 68 and 69 up to this game. Cherokee lost one game in 69 to Buckholts 38-33. Would love to see stat's or a story on it but the box score shows: Cherokee up 21-6 at the half, Cherokee up 27-24 at the end of the third. Both teams score 20 points each in what must have been a wild 4th for a 47-44 Cherokee win. Strawn got the trophy anyway. In September 1970 it was discoverd Cherokee used an ineligible player (OBK on lonestarfootball). Seems the coach and school board did not realize this, even though I read somewhere (on here years back) that he was a 21 year old.
Stinker Lynn told me they were undefeated 2 years in a row because Cherokee cheated.

Some great ones that come to mind:

Gordon vs. Panther Creek, 1999 Regional at Clyde...WOW (Lyle Campbell)

Throckmorton vs. Garden City, 2009 at Merkel?? (CUJO vs. Everett)

Richland Spgs. vs. Woodson, 2001 Semi-final...Wow Wee (Hicks vs. Peacock and Copeland)

Gordon vs. Whitharral, 1996 State game at Sweetwater, maybe?

Richland Springs vs. Throckmorton, 2005 Semi-final at Breckenridge (Tyler E. vs. Bryce Hogue)

May vs. Panther Creek 1997 or 98 District Championship at May (Brandon Purcell!!)

Love to have a copy of the May game.

5chains":8lezkjy2 said:
Yea that Milford and Amherst game was a cold one. I also remember a game in 1993 Milford was playing in Covington. It was about 30 degrees, but the light rain made it alot colder.

I played in that game. It was definately a cold one. I never played in any other game where I was completely numb. It was windy, it rained, it snowed, we lost.........

BE -

1997 May 80 Panther Creek 72 @May

that was the 2nd district game for May and PC...yes it ended up deciding the Champion, but at the time it didn't, PC played at Blackwell in week 10 to decide who was runner-up and the Guru attended...all 3 teams were ranked in the top 10 in week 10 if I remember...PC won that game by 10...o ya and it was District 10 as well (I think...that's a lot of 10s)

the week after the May v PC game May traveled to Blackwell and beat them...that sealed the Championship for them

By the way I have that May v PC game on dvd...and the Blackwell game...

IF ANYONE HAS THE MAY v BLACKWELL GAME I WILL TRADE ANY GAME FILM FOR IT!!!

On October 17th, coyote_king asked the question "Anybody want to share opinions and tell us why and what six-man game was the best game you've seen"??

The old saying is "beauty lies in the eye of the beholder."

Though I did not see all the games that have been mentioned in this thread, they have certainly been great games listed, I struggle to define "the best game I have seen". Due to my age and more importantly my memory, I have tried to make my pick from the 219 games I have seen in person over the last 10 years.

The year was 2009. To help reference the season, it was the same year we had the "low/high" scores at Shotwell during the state games. The place was Trent. The game was during WEEK ZERO and the visiting team was Guthrie. The game as I have stated was early in the season and everyone thinks at that point of the season that they will be playing for the championship.
The game went back and forth with lead changes and the final score was Guthrie 48 Trent 46.

There was no particular expectation for it to be a great game. It was not a rivalry game, not a district game, not a playoff game. It was just a game.

I have many memories about this game. I will share two. One was after a Guthrie score. One of their players came off the field screaming to the top of his lungs, " we are not going to let you win". I know that doesn't sound too exciting to those who will read this now but it is one of those moments that have stuck with me. The second memory is Guthrie scored with only a few second left in the game to take the lead. Trent had the ball on maybe their 30 yard line or so. Time for one play most likely and too far for a FG and needing to score they ran a pass play. Incredibly, the running back for Trent ran a flair out of the backfield and ran right in front of the Guthrie sideline and no one picked him up. He was running his route free of coverage and the QB spots him wide open. He threw a beautiful pass hitting his open receiver in full stride and right in the hands. The kid dropped it. I put my arm around his shoulder and cried with the kid after the game at the Guthrie 31 yard line remembering a similar time some 40 years before that I was the wide open receiver and I too dropped the pass. Some things are always fresh memories.

Thanks for starting the thread coyote_king. It has been great reading from many long time fans that love the game as much as I.

Don Hardin
Abilene

Wisdomofone":3tn60yoi said:
I hate to throw the privates in here but ...... Oct 2010 Azle Christian VS Waco Live Oak an interception with 10 seconds left tie game and a touchdown as time expired to win the game. It was one of the best sixman games I have ever seen.

I also watched Aquilla VS ???? I can't remember but the game came down to the extra point 1 to tie 2 to win. I believe Aquilla blocked the attempt.

I remember that game. It was a cold night, but both offenses seemed to be on fire. I might add that the winning touchdown was a pass, and not a deep pass but one almost behind the line of scrimmage. The RB was able to get to the sideline and somehow juked the whole defense out. Amazing game!

I can't make up my mind...it's almost a tie for me but I will say 1996 State game was the best:

Gordon wins on 5th down after a 2nd half come back to win state in 96...I was a freshman in High School and I attened the game with my football coach Duane Hyde (winner of 2 state titles as a player at Highland), our best player (and for my money the best running back in six-man in 1996) senior Nathan Hayes, Coach Hyde's father Thomas Hyde...one time start player for Divide and retired coach from Highland after winner several playoff games back before the State playoffs for six-man, and Coach Kerry Owens and Monte Richberg of Highland, both former teammates of Duane back at Highland high in the 80s. We sat on Gordon's side (home side) and watched Whitharral handle them in the first half, and then Gordon come back in the second half...they had a 5'3 defensive/offensive end (Jesus T...) that was all over the place in that game and he blocked a key punt and on offense caught a long TD pass in the 2nd half, both of which were key plays that are lost today when people talk about that game...because everyone remembers Gordon winning on 5th down, after the refs failed to give them a loss of down in their game winning drive in the final seconds...it was a great game and I attened it with who I consider 5 six-man Hall of Famers...and the program was the best ever!

So 1996 State Game Gordon 51 Whitharral 50 is my pick

Oneday, send me a copy and I will put you on my Christmas list, just let me know what you need. I have many of the state championship games since 96 and a couple before that year. Tyler went to that game with me and got Brandon's autograph afterwards...he was bug-eyed the entire game.

oneday":uujiz70x said:
I can't make up my mind...it's almost a tie for me but I will say 1996 State game was the best:

Gordon wins on 5th down .........
And now, the REST of the story.....

Gordon does indeed win on 5th down, but before you start thinking awww, poor Whittharal got cheated, here is the best example of poetic justice I have ever seen.

On 4th down, Gordon throws a TD pass to take the lead, but wait, there is a yellow rag lying waaaayyyyyy back near the line of scrimmage. It seems as if the SB crossed the line of scrimmage before throwing the ball. So the refs brought the ball back, marked off 5 yards and repeat 4th down, when it should have been a loss of down, ball goes over on downs, Whitharral wins.

Now here is the poetic justice part. Gordon wasn't across the line of scrimmage, in fact, the SB was 4 yards behind it when he released the ball. So the flag never should have been thrown, and there never should have been a 5th down. So the second mistake was nothing more than karma righting itself for the first.

Earlier in this thread I said the Paducah/Valley playoff game in 04. After doing some research I found an article about it from the Amarillo Globe News. It got best game of the year for the area that year.

"BEST GAME

VALLEY'S DOMINATING UNBEATEN SEASON APPEARED OVER IN THE REGIONAL ROUND AGAINST SPEEDY PADUCAH, WHICH DROPPED DOWN FROM 1A. THE DRAGONS, WHO'D ONLY LOST ONCE, PASSED THEIR WAY TO A 45-26 LEAD IN THE THIRD QUARTER.

BUT THE PATRIOTS RALLIED, AND DID SO BY UNUSUAL MEANS - THE PASS. VALLEY SCORED FOUR UNANSWERED TOUCHDOWNS - TWO OF THEM ON PASSES FROM CODY BARRETT - TO TAKE A 54-45 LEAD.

PADUCAH CUT THE LEAD TO 54-53 ON A 37-YARD PASS FROM GERALD WALKER TO CORY HEMPHILL WITH 29 SECONDS LEFT. BUT VALLEY RECOVERED THE ONSIDE KICK TO SEAL THE WILD COME-FROM-BEHIND WIN.

VALLEY SURVIVED THE PASSING OF HEMPHILL, WHO WAS 17- OF-32 FOR 446 YARDS AND SEVEN TOUCHDOWNS. BARRETT THREW FOR 157 YARDS AND TWO TOUCHDOWNS.

BIGGEST PLAY

IN THE VALLEY-PADUCAH THRILLER, TAKE YOUR PICK. BOTH WERE FOURTH-DOWN PASSES IN THE PATRIOTS RALLY.

BARRETT CONNECTED WITH BRYANT ORTIZ ON A 26-YARD PASS TO PULL VALLEY WITHIN 45-40. AND HE BEAT THE PADUCAH BLITZ ON AN 8-YARD SCORING PASS TO VALDES.

HAD BARRETT NOT COMPLETED EITHER ONE OF THOSE MAKE-OR-BREAK PASSES, IT'S DOUBTFUL VALLEY WOULD HAVE ADVANCED."

Back