Baylor Bears

smokeyjoe53":sl6n25ma said:
I had about halfway forgotten about Hayden Fry being a QB at Baylor. He never coached there did he?
I remember a routine Jerry Clower had about playing football against Baylor when he was at Mississippi State. I think he mentioned Bill Glass in the routine.............

Hayden Fry was honored as a Texas Gridiron Legend at halftime of the Texans/49ers game Saturday night. Turns out he did coach at Baylor after all. (I didn't know that he did)
"After the 1958 season, the new head football coach at Baylor hired Hayden Fry as an assistant coach. Fry spent two years at Baylor coaching the defensive backs. In 1960, Baylor had an 8–2 record in the regular season and finished the year with a one point loss to Florida in the Gator Bowl. That season, Fry's defensive secondary helped Baylor lead the nation in pass defense." (from Wikipedia)
(also from Wikipedia) "Fry also coached a six man football team while in the Marines, and the unique style of play allowed Fry to innovate and invent new creative schemes."

Hayden Fry,,coaching sixman? Wow..

I'm thinking without cheating that Fry brought the first
black man to the Southwest conference,,Jerry Levias SMU Great,,correct me if i'm wrong?Never knew he coached at Baylor.
Those SMU uniforms of the Fry era was greatness..

You're right. John Westbrook was the first to play, but Levias was the first signed. (I cheated)
"Since both shared the colors of black and gold, Fry gained permission from the Pittsburgh Steelers, the dominant NFL program of the time, to overhaul Iowa’s uniforms in the Steelers’ image. Fry had the team "swarm" onto the field together as they left the locker room, holding hands in a show of solidarity. And Fry had the visitors’ locker room painted pink. Fry, a psychology major at Baylor, knew that pink is occasionally used in jails and mental institutions to relax and pacify the residents, and Fry claimed that it might have the same effect on the visiting team. Principally, though, Fry hoped that the unusual color would distract and fluster the opposing players and coaches. Visiting head coaches, particularly Michigan head coach Bo Schembechler, would occasionally try to cover the pink walls with paper to shield their players from the color."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hayden_Fry
Soulds like Fry was a real character.

Chalk another one up for the Lady Bears
Congrats,,Lady Bears Big 12 Champs...

They are good..Lady's basketball to me at least
is more entertaining,,Griner is the biggest name in all of college basketball.
Seems the last several years,the men superstars leave early for the
NBA,,Years ago we could always name our big time
college players,,Bird,Magic,Jordan,Walton,,Durant stayed what one year at UT? etc..now i can't name you
three men that will be on the All America team,,

Go Bears!!

Back