The Baylor Bears

Cardinal Dad":bwp2ek8r said:
First of all, you can never ever ever ever count Art Briles out. I was beginning to wonder, but thrilled by the outcome. Sic 'em!

I think Patterson's going for it on 4th down was a horrible multi-million dollar decision. Multi-million dollar because it could cost them a chance at a national championship or at least a top 4 finish. Now, why was it such a bad decision? Because Baylors kicker statistically isn't very good. He was only 44% on the year for the 28 yd kick. Unfortunately hind sight is 20-20. He would have been a hero if he made it and questioned if he punted it and they didn't stop them

Now for my opinion. What an awesome game between a great defensive mind (Patterson) and a great offensive mind (Briles). It should go down as one of the great games. Going for it on 4th was a Briles or even a Stoops move,,not a Patterson move. He made it worse by taking the 2 time outs to allow Baylor to be ready and expect it.

Patterson said he was rolling the dice and I believe he thought the odds were better for them picking up those three yards than stopping Baylor no matter where they got the ball. He even said he didn't know if they could stop them even if they got the ball at the 5 yard line. 51eleven's stats show why he would have been concerned.

51eleven":bwp2ek8r said:
Throw your 3rd interception of the year for a pick six to go down by 21 58-37 @ 11:38 in the 4th. Never led.
TCU fans chanting TCU, TCU, in your new house. RUN the ball every play up the middle until you score. Announcer says I think TCU just got punched in the face. Stop em'. 92 yards, 1:29. 58-51. Stop em' again.
91 yards 59 seconds. Tied. Stop em again. Run the ball to the 11. Kick field goal as time expires.
Students and fans rush field.
Excuse my exuberance, been a Baylor fan since the 60's, a lot of frustrating years.

I feel your joy and I've felt your pain.

westexasflats":1yhlu75b said:
Year School G W L T Pct SRS SOS AP Pre AP High AP Post Bowl Notes
2003 Houston 13 7 6 0 .538 -4.23 -4.16 Hawaii Bowl-L
2004 Houston 11 3 8 0 .273 -6.84 0.89
2005 Houston 12 6 6 0 .500 -2.93 -3.85 Fort Worth Bowl-L
2006 Houston 14 10 4 0 .714 5.40 -2.89 Liberty Bowl-L
2007 Houston 13 8 5 0 .615 -1.50 -5.27 Texas Bowl-L
2008 Baylor 12 4 8 0 .333 2.59 5.68
2009 Baylor 12 4 8 0 .333 -2.30 4.37
2010 Baylor 13 7 6 0 .538 1.62 1.93 22 Texas Bowl-L
2011 Baylor 13 10 3 0 .769 13.83 5.91 13 13 Alamo Bowl-W
2012 Baylor 13 8 5 0 .615 11.22 5.07 25 Holiday Bowl-W
2013 Baylor 13 11 2 0 .846 16.87 1.87 3 13 Fiesta Bowl-L
2014 Baylor 6 6 0 0 1.000 16.53 -3.64 10 4
Overall 145 84 61 0 .579 4.19 0.49
Houston 63 34 29 0 .540 -2.02 -3.05
Baylor 82 50 32 0 .610 8.62 3.03

Wouldnt crown him king just yet......

He may not have the greatest record but look where he has won at. Houston was on the down slide when he got there and turned them around. Also when he left Houston he left a great squad for Kevin Sumlin to receive the benefits. Then like I said before Baylor was considered a coaching graveyard and had only won a few big12 games in its 20 something year of being a member. Then Briles comes in and completely changes everything about Baylor. You wouldn't see Nick Saban, or any other big name coaches do that!

westexasflats":26w44vam said:
I"ve absolutely nothing against Coach Briles he is a very good coach, but i think RG3 made Baylor what it is today...

I agree with you RG3 has a large part to do with the Baylor turn around and he still helps Baylor out today with recruits. Still though RG3 committed to Briles at Houston, and when Briles took the Baylor job he went with Briles. Briles was the only coach who saw RG3 as the QB that he could be. Other schools wanted to make RG3 a WR or a defensive back. So it all comes back to Briles pretty much because no Briles no RG3!

Let's start an internet rumor........ Art Briles will be a presenter at next year's Richland Springs coaching clinic........... may not be too far from the truth..............

smokeyjoe53":2yfjahka said:
Let's start an internet rumor........ Art Briles will be a presenter at next year's Richland Springs coaching clinic........... may not be too far from the truth..............

Well heck. I've already broke my last comment on this thread statement. And stepped on the Guru's toes (and tried to apologize). But Coaches Burkie and Briles are pretty offensive in their outlook. Both like to score a lot of points, giving the younger kids an opportunity to score some of them. A discussion between them about developing talent would be very interesting. So would the spread in 6man vs the spread in 11man.

Schwarzenegger":fcl83q3h said:
westexasflats":fcl83q3h said:
I"ve absolutely nothing against Coach Briles he is a very good coach, but i think RG3 made Baylor what it is today...

I agree with you RG3 has a large part to do with the Baylor turn around and he still helps Baylor out today with recruits. Still though RG3 committed to Briles at Houston, and when Briles took the Baylor job he went with Briles. Briles was the only coach who saw RG3 as the QB that he could be. Other schools wanted to make RG3 a WR or a defensive back. So it all comes back to Briles pretty much because no Briles no RG3!

In the introduction to "Looking Up" Griffin gives the credit to Briles for giving him the opportunity, inspiring him, and believing in him. Without Griffin's talent and intelligence they would not have achieved what they have. But Briles was the only one to recognize that and Coach Griffin.

Art Briles was the only Coach willing to let RG3 run his hurdles at the college level. All others wanted their QB to be exclusive to football. It made a difference in RG3's decision on who he would play for.

Like I said before no Briles no RG3! Briles isn't just a offensive mind though, his a great recruiter that knows the state of Texas very well. Even though they may not be in the top 25 for recruiting classes, his a great evaluator of which players will fit in his system. Also he knows which players have not yet reached their full potential, and will bring those guys in and coach them up.

Schwarzenegger":2frdtvz3 said:
Like I said before no Briles no RG3! Briles isn't just a offensive mind though, his a great recruiter that knows the state of Texas very well. Even though they may not be in the top 25 for recruiting classes, his a great evaluator of which players will fit in his system. Also he knows which players have not yet reached their full potential, and will bring those guys in and coach them up.

He understands the value of defense too. Early on in Stephenville he picked a QB and RB, then let the Defensive Coordinator have his pick (like an all district center). A lot of shutouts and low scoring games won in the 90's.

He also got caught in Stephenville 'roiding up a lot of kids. I don't remember who became the sacrificial turkey to protect him, but they were caught getting steroids for the kids there.

Old Bearkat":sdyutv2u said:
He also got caught in Stephenville 'roiding up a lot of kids. I don't remember who became the sacrificial turkey to protect him, but they were caught getting steroids for the kids there.

I know it's his side of the story from his first book but, Chapter 16 Defending Their Honor / "Tough Guys Finish First"... Briles laughed it off, he did then, he does today. Actually it was more of a compliment. He knew how much his teams busted their butts in the weight room. I always said this, come test us, come watch us work said (defensive lineman) Copeland. The sad part of it is that many believe the accusations started from within, a former Stephenville Basketball coach whose son didn't win the starting quarterback job over Brandon Stewart (A&M) and allegedly went to the UIL and the SHS school board hinting that players were on steroids. Of the 10 allegations sent to the UIL 8 were cleared...two private reprimands...viewed as a slap on the wrist. (one of which was for keeping a weight room sign in list ...viewed as required to participate in voluntary workouts).
Briles got a new weight room and or equipment and started a power lifting program at every HS he coached at. He also required assistants to participate with him in players weigh room workouts (one coach lost his job over not doing this).
Shortly after he started as Stephenville at the end of a weight session 2 of his biggest linemen were flexing their muscles after lifting 225#, a 45# bar and 2 45# weights on each side. He put on 2 more 45# weights to make it 315# and did 10 presses (more than they had w/225#), got up, said " if I'm the strongest guy in the room were in trouble, y'all got some work to do".

Heck, we did not even have a formal weight training program back when I was in school, but I got up to working out with 290 my senior year....

All I remember was that the Startlegram had a series of articles on the 'roid controversy there, then there was a district meeting on it, then nothing else.

Old Bearkat":3sdztmli said:
Heck, we did not even have a formal weight training program back when I was in school, but I got up to working out with 290 my senior year....

All I remember was that the Startlegram had a series of articles on the 'roid controversy there, then there was a district meeting on it, then nothing else.

I remember the "weight room" being a little space behind the curtains on the stage, which was one side of the gym in jr high.

BTW, as the thread's about them Baylor set a Big 12 record today. Most penalty yardage ever, 18-225.

51eleven":2r0mma29 said:
Old Bearkat":2r0mma29 said:

I remember the "weight room" being a little space behind the curtains on the stage, which was one side of the gym in jr high.

BTW, as the thread's about them Baylor set a Big 12 record today. Most penalty yardage ever, 18-225.
Horrible day. WV came to play and Baylor didn't start off well enough to dash their hopes of an upset.

Old Bearkat":2e6377y1 said:

I'm not saying it's the right thing to do, but what successful programs at the 5A and 6A level don't take roids? A lot of people say its hard work in the weight room, but what about the fact that they look like 40 year olds when their 15? If Stephenville did take roids, trust me their not the only program doing it! Kind of like saying SMU was the only program paying players to come to their program>ha! With all that being said I hope Baylor can bounce back from this lost. I still feel like their one of the best teams out there.

Back