Baylor Bears

Was watching the Baylor game on FS1 last night ... was waiting for the ref to hold the ball over his head in the 3rd and call the game ...

freeagent":211cucuv said:
Was watching the Baylor game on FS1 last night ... was waiting for the ref to hold the ball over his head in the 3rd and call the game ...

I was listening (no FS.). I thought as they went to half, man they almost 45'd em at the half.

They are fun to watch and I believe they are averaging about an hour to play a quarter.
Doggie and freeagent y'all are supposed to wait until the post is made before you reply.

Mr.Blue Sky":fvbu6jv6 said:
Man the numbers Baylor has been putting up is unreal! I wonder if that has to do with Art Briles being from Rule?

The numbers are incredible, some record breaking, and this week at least against a big 12 opponent that upset OSU last week. Can they keep it up?
As far as Briles at Rule goes I'd read before they were 11m then. Per lonestarfooball.com in 1973 they lost one game, the state champioship against Big Sandy (and Lovie Smith - OBK's note..). They did play several future/former 6m teams, Aspermont, Knox City, Jayton, Loraine, Newcastle, T-Rock, Santa Anna, Rising Star and beat Motley County 14-12 in the State Semi. Also noted was him scoring 4 TD's against Santa Anna on his way to All State at QB. Guess he was a runnin' QB hisself.
If I remember right Bill Yeoman at Houston was a wide open/go for it offense where Briles played in college. Then the year at Tech coaching under Leach could have influenced him further.
would like to read the new book about him but don't know about $24 bucks.

http://www.amazon.com/Art-Briles-Lookin ... art+briles

Yeah I didnt know Rule use to be 11man back in the day? I just remember reading something bout coach Briles saying he was from Rule and he had played at Houston as well. Does he ever come back to Rule any?

sixman92":1cigx14k said:
Rule played 11 man until 1985. Briles still has family that live in the area. His brother lives in Haskell.

I believe his Dad was the coach at Rule when he played there.

I am a Baylor fan but I can't see them winning out. Let talk more about this once they beat a good team. I don't see them beating OU or TCU.

Yes his Dad was his coach. As many know, his dad, mom, and aunt were killed in a car accident in 1976 around Newcastle. They were on their way to watch him play at the Cotton Bowl for The University of Houston. Sad story.

51eleven":156sqjak said:
If I remember right Bill Yeoman at Houston was a wide open/go for it offense where Briles played in college. Then the year at Tech coaching under Leach could have influenced him further.
would like to read the new book about him but don't know about $24 bucks.

Bill Yoeman ran the Houston Veer - which was a take on the traditional wishbone triple-option running offense that TU, UT-Norman and UT-Fayetteville all ran back in the 60's, 70's and part of the 80's. It wasn't wide-open in the sense that today's air-raid spread offenses are, but it had the potential to rack up quite a few yards of offense and put a bunch of points on the board.

I guess, however, it was similar to Mike Leech's spread offense, simplicity-wise, in that the entire offensive game plan would fit on a 3X5 card.

oilstinker":28npktx8 said:
Baylor vs Bama for National Championship???? Go bears!!

Having followed the Bears at least some what since the (ugly) late 60's I don't think I've ever heard the words Baylor and National Championship in the same sentence. I'm sure it's probably the ultimate goal for Coach Briles and the rest of Baylor Nation but this might be a little premature.
BTW this thread should be under "other football" although the talk of 45'n might partially qualify it for here.

Back