6 man History

From my light research, spring of 71 would have been FHS last year as a school, so that would make sense. I know there is a lot of pride in that school for those that went there, its the reason SHS (Snyder High) isn't the White Buffs, Fluvanna would't let them have it. Being from Snyder, Fluvanna is somewhat of a lost/forgotten town now-a-days. Not much left out there. I wonder if they ever played 6-man football?
My former neighbor was from the Dunn community south of Snyder. He finished high school in Snyder but was always talking about Dunn and Ira. He still ranches near Dunn. He owns that vintage Sinclair station in Synder as a hobby. Big Ira football fan.

Dunn isn’t as forgotten as Fluvanna because it’s not as remote as fluvanna but yes! All the Dunn kids go to Ira like the Union kids do. I graduated from Ira, great school, great place, good people.

Been a bit of time since any posted in here...but say since 2010, with realignment cycles, what schools have jumped up from Six man to 11-man and what schools have dropped from 11-man to Six man?

More have gone 11 to 6 than 6 to 11, by a large margin. Just off the top of my head, and this is public schools only, but Water Valley, Sterling City, Morton, and Ropes are the only ones that have gone back to 11 man. On the other hand, Anton, Kress, White Deer, Nazareth, Knox City, Marfa, Van Horn, Rotan, Roby, Gorman, Perrin-Whitt, Union Hill, St. Jo, Eden, Mertzon, Menard, Nueces Canyon, Leakey, and Medina have gone to 6 man. High Island went back to 11 man for a couple of years and now is back.

More have gone 11 to 6 than 6 to 11, by a large margin. Just off the top of my head, and this is public schools only, but Water Valley, Sterling City, Morton, and Ropes are the only ones that have gone back to 11 man. On the other hand, Anton, Kress, White Deer, Nazareth, Knox City, Marfa, Van Horn, Rotan, Roby, Gorman, Perrin-Whitt, Union Hill, St. Jo, Eden, Mertzon, Menard, Nueces Canyon, Leakey, and Medina have gone to 6 man. High Island went back to 11 man for a couple of years and now is back.
Is that a large influx to the 6 man game for a decade?

Is that a large influx to the 6 man game for a decade?
Yep, in the previous decade, you had Garden City, Water Valley, Sterling City, Rankin, Hart, Crowell, Paducah, Throckmorton, Fannindel, Robert Lee, Rising Star, Petersburg, Ft. Davis, O'Donnell, Evant, Chester, Apple Springs, and Leverett's Chapel.

The turn of the 21st century started the rush to 6 man as the rural populations in Texas started dropping rapidly.

I know the following schools no longer have high schools, but do have Elementary or Junior highs. How many of them used to play football? Bluff Dale (Plays 6-man), Coupland (plays 6-man), Damon (plays 6-man), Devers, Dew, Divide, Doss, Driscoll (plays 6-man), Etoile, Excelsior, Ezzell (plays flag), Garner, Gause (plays 6-man), Harts Bluff, Hallsburg, Hubbard (In Bowie County), Hunt, Kenedy County Wide, La Gloria, Leary, Malone (plays 6-man), Malta, Matagorda (plays flag), McDade (plays 6-man), Meyersville (plays flag), Montague, Morgan Mill (plays 6-man), Murchison, Nursery, Olfen (plays 6-man), Palo Pinto, Pawnee, Pringle-Morse, Ramirez, Red Lick, Ricardo, San Vicente, Sivells Bend, Spring Creek, Sweet Home (Plays flag), Texhoma, Three Way, Vysehrad (plays flag), Walcott, Westhoff (plays flag), Westphalia (plays 6-man), Wildorado, Winfield
Drilling through old history posts and saw this one that can be updated.....

McDade, Wildorado, Three Way, Olfen, and Bluff Dale all now have high schools and play 6 man. Pringle-Morse has a high school but is one of the commie pinko wussy schools

It kind of depends on the set up of your league. Locally they have flag football for K through 2. I have heard of leagues that have K through 4, and some crowded school leagues will have flag football through the 6th grade. I have not heard of any uil schools having Jr. High flag football. Well, with one exception, some schools have a powder puff game with their girls in the late spring.

Around Evant and Jonesbore are some old school buildings and corresponding communities that are intriguing. Some of the names that had schools at one time, according to Momma are Pearl, Ireland, Purmela, Adamsville, Center City, as well as the most recent closure at Star.

Earl Burl Ethridge and Beatrice Bell Carlisle (?) went to school at Democrat where Maw Maw was a basketball phenom. When she was four her parents and little brother died in the Influenza epidemic of 1919, so lived with an aunt she came to loathe until her marriage to Earl at the ripe old age of 16. He was 19.

The Democrat school house was converted into a Baptist church in the early '60s and moved to Paw Paw's place on Trigger Mountain. I remember lots of winter gatherings in that old building with heat provided by a wood burning stove set in the middle of the aisle. It had a large painting of a shepherd climbing a mountain reaching for a lost lamb with dark storm clouds all around.
I'd give my left kidney for that picture.
Greetings from Copperas Cove. I am a historian painter in the Cove. I am looking for any images of the 6-Man Football team from Copperas Cove. So far, I have only found this site. Could you help me with this quest. I am planning to use them in a new mural for the city park. Thank you for taking a look or giving me direction to continue my search.

Greetings from Copperas Cove. I am a historian painter in the Cove. I am looking for any images of the 6-Man Football team from Copperas Cove. So far, I have only found this site. Could you help me with this quest. I am planning to use them in a new mural for the city park. Thank you for taking a look or giving me direction to continue my search.
There might be some photos you can use in the Gatesville newspapers in the newspaper archive. I don't remember seeing any, but if you get a subscription to the Archive search for "Copperas Cove" in the late 1940's and early 1950's.

Found one

Attachments

• 1940 Cove 6-man football-faces.jpeg
    1940 Cove 6-man football-faces.jpeg
    45.7 KB · Views: 8
  • Screen Shot 2022-07-16 at 12.29.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-16 at 12.29.41 PM.png
    292.1 KB · Views: 7
Flipping through the 2007 edition of DCTF today.

New Home and Ropes were D1.

Gone are Marathon, Samnorwood, Higgins, Fort Elliott, Novice, and Star

Lists Forestburg and Leverett's Chapel as outlaws.

Pretty interesting

Taken from the UIL Official ist of Six-Man Schools 1942

District 12: Dodd City, East Delta (Charleston), Gober, Klondike, Pecan Gap, Savoy.

Savoy was district champs. Also a note at the bottom of the page says: "No bi-district games were reported the 1942 season"

The Klondike mentioned is not the Klondike outside Lamesa...however, Klondike (Lamesa) did play and were Disrtict 5 champs in 1942. (District 5: Ackerly, Dawson (Welch), Klondike (Lamesa), Sparenberg, Union (Lamesa).)
That was a Klondike in Delta County

Back