6 man History

If you can find the picture of the Hobbs 1971 football that would be awesome.

My dad graduated from Hobbs and played football for them. I still have his football jersey.

I’m trying to pull this article up but it’s blank. Is there another place I can go to view it?

I've got to find my old files. I'll repost it as soon as I can find them.

Looks like there are quite a few files that are like that. I'm guessing something went wrong during the software change last year. I'll do some digging over the next several days and see if I can get it fixed. Assuming they worked fine before, I still have a backup I can use to revert the ones I find that are broken.

Looks like there are quite a few files that are like that. I'm guessing something went wrong during the software change last year. I'll do some digging over the next several days and see if I can get it fixed. Assuming they worked fine before, I still have a backup I can use to revert the ones I find that are broken.
Thank you Mike

Yep, in the previous decade, you had Garden City, Water Valley, Sterling City, Rankin, Hart, Crowell, Paducah, Throckmorton, Fannindel, Robert Lee, Rising Star, Petersburg, Ft. Davis, O'Donnell, Evant, Chester, Apple Springs, and Leverett's Chapel.

The turn of the 21st century started the rush to 6 man as the rural populations in Texas started dropping rapidly.
Everyone, both rural and urban has to remember how to have kids again. The average is less than 2 per family now.

Same questions about Utopia.

I never found many Utopia scores. I know they played 6 man from at least 1949 to 1957 and then 8 man from 1958 to 1963. After that they quit football.

Defunct schools that played football at least one game Im assuming is what you are talking about...IDK I know when the Bob Bullock Museum did their exhibit on Texas High School Football in 2010 they created a database of every school that played at least 1 football game and I helped them with the "Ghost" schools...I do not know how to access that or where to find it. I know I have found scores for school since then as well. We were trying to get mascot and school colors too...which in many cases was impossible

Note the schools participating in this district. One was Brownsville St. Joseph, which still plays football. The UIL did let some small parochial schools participate in 6 man districts if they wanted to and had a good reason. Price Memorial Catholic played in a UIL district with Groom, Booker, Darrouzett, Kelton, and Alanreed that year too. The UIL changed the next year and did not allow parochials to be in UIL districts.

Los Fresnos, now a 5A school
Mission Sharyland, also 5A and in the same district as Los Fresnos
La Joya also 5A and in the same district as the previous 2
Santa Rosa, now a 2A school
San Perlita, still a small Class A school, but one of the non-football sissy schools
Brownsville St. Joseph, TAPPS Div 1
El Jardin and Stuart Place are Ghost League schools now.
El Jardin part of Brownsville ISD. Wilson Tract and Stuart Place part of Harlingen CISD.

I'm trying to place all of these schools on Google Earth. Through research I have managed to find at least the general vicinity of all of these schools except one: Wilson Tract. Any ideas where this school was located?
Wilson Tract is located in Primera , Tx. Part of Harlingen CISD as an elementary school. What is left of the original school.

Back