6 man History

I also found out in a August 1952 article on Borden County's first year to play football that not only was it their first year in football, but it was also the first year for a high school in Gail. Any of you Gail old-timers, is this true? If so, where did Borden County kids go for high school before 1952?
BUMP.

Any Borden County folks know anything about this?

BUMP.

Any Borden County folks know anything about this?
Yes, the Borden County school had its first graduating class in 1952. There was a grade school there long before that, but I honestly don't know where everyone went to high school. I would assume you went to wherever you were closest - Post, Big Spring, Snyder, Lamesa. I can find out more on this if you need info.

Yes, the Borden County school had its first graduating class in 1952. There was a grade school there long before that, but I honestly don't know where everyone went to high school. I would assume you went to wherever you were closest - Post, Big Spring, Snyder, Lamesa. I can find out more on this if you need info.
No need, just curious.

When did the Texas population boom really start? Its insane to think that Allen played 6 man but today is the largest 6A school in Texas.

When did the Texas population boom really start? Its insane to think that Allen played 6 man but today is the largest 6A school in Texas.
The population boom really got going in th 1990's. All east of I35 and concentrated in the DFW/Houston/San Antonio/Austin metromesses

Post WW2 saw a population shift from rural to suburbia with areas outside bigger cities growing steadily throughout the 1950s into the 60s and into today...which is why small towns outside bigger cities that played 6man in the 30s and 40s grew and grew to what they are now... Allen, Katy etc. Towns just kept expanding and still are...post WW2 is when this started

Yep, it will. Not only the Biden illegals, but refugees from California, New York, Illinois, etc
The Illinois population decline is staggering but expected given the political climate in the state.

I believe CPS said it was down another 10,000 students for the 2021-22 school year.

The Illinois population decline is staggering but expected given the political climate in the state.

I believe CPS said it was down another 10,000 students for the 2021-22 school year.
Yeah, but Putzger has already decreed Illinoisy public schools will be funded at 2019 levels no matter how many kids tehy lose.

Being able to work from home may save the little communities west of I-35. As OldBearkat eloquently put it, people are moving to the cities in Texas. If people could work from home, however, the more normal people that live in Houston plus the "I-35 messes" might see towns like San Angelo, Abilene, Lubbock, Amarillo, Kerrville, Fredericksburg, Brownwood, Wichita Falls, Ft. Stockton, and all the littletowns near them as viable options to escape the madness of the cities. By the way, I excluded Midland/Odessa because of the high housing prices due to oil drilling.

If not, however, West Texas will continue to dry up. Just to show you how crazy it is, this was an 11-man 2A football district about 15 years ago.

Albany
Gorman
Ranger
Baird
Cross Plains

I think Albany is the only one that is still truly 2A; I believe Cross Plains is either close to 1A and/or chooses to play 11-man. I really hope the current D2 sixman schools can keep their doors open and/or stay competitive in football for at least my lifetime. If things don't change, however, we may see real towns playing sixman sooner rather than later.

I would think they went to Fluvanna, home of the Fluvanna White Buffaloes. I know the school was open in the 40s, so it would be believable to be open into the 50s. Now all the Fluvanna kids go to school in Gail. Dermott too.

I would think they went to Fluvanna, home of the Fluvanna White Buffaloes. I know the school was open in the 40s, so it would be believable to be open into the 50s. Now all the Fluvanna kids go to school in Gail. Dermott too.
That may be. We got the guy who was the principal at Fluvanna as superintendent in 1971. His daughter was the same age as I was and she was faster than anyone in the school, boys included. She still has some state sprint recordsm (Marsha Talley)

That may be. We got the guy who was the principal at Fluvanna as superintendent in 1971. His daughter was the same age as I was and she was faster than anyone in the school, boys included. She still has some state sprint recordsm (Marsha Talley)
From my light research, spring of 71 would have been FHS last year as a school, so that would make sense. I know there is a lot of pride in that school for those that went there, its the reason SHS (Snyder High) isn't the White Buffs, Fluvanna would't let them have it. Being from Snyder, Fluvanna is somewhat of a lost/forgotten town now-a-days. Not much left out there. I wonder if they ever played 6-man football?

Back